Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 7:49 pm

After a week of careful portioning and making healthy dining choices, I lost 7½ lbs this week!

huzzah!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 9:33 pm

hey Digger1, good for you!

I have had really good results with 'Alli'. It trains you how to eat low fat. You can't eat anything over 19 grams of fat in any one meal or you have serious gastric distress. So I kept under 19 grams a meal and it caused 25% of all fat grams I did eat to pass through my body un digested. It doesn't make you not hungry or jittery or anything like that, only keeps the fat from being digested. I have lost 59 lbs since October.

Merle

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 10:05 pm

wow! That's a lot! Congrats!

I won't be taking anything for my weight loss. It's kind of frowned upon at TOPS.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 10:25 pm

I've used water - 8-12 oz. of cool water before meals and snacks. Keeps my hydration up while keeping my hunger down. I've lost 80 pounds in 16 months (most of it in 12) using that route, even while adding some muscle along the way. I've got another 20 or so to go before I'm where I'd like to be... but will accept converting fat to muscle for the time being, I suppose.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

digger1 wrote:
wow! That's a lot! Congrats!

I won't be taking anything for my weight loss. It's kind of frowned upon at TOPS.

My mother did that for ages, even got KOPS and the graduation hat and all. they really had to change a lot over the years, some of the stuff they did was really unhealthy.

Good luck to you!

Merle

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2009, 11:34 pm

Glad to see you have had great results in one week :). Keep in mind, it'll take more than dieting to get into tip top shape. Good exercise will do that job for ya :)

I'm also on the road for a healthier life. I've lost 25 pounds since last September, and 1 and 3/4 inches in my waist. I've also gained muscle mass in my upper body.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2009, 5:25 pm

I would like to lose about 40 lbs meeself....

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 9:25 am

good job! of those 7.5lbs most of it is probably water weight and other things, my weight fluctuates by as much as 8lbs in a couple of days (though usually 4-5) and i've lost 9.5lbs in 16hrs for a competition (i didn't know i had to weigh in or that i was competing in the lightweight class until 16hrs before weigh ins). that's not to say you didn't make any real losses, but 7.5lbs of fat lost in a week would be quite a feat. the other thing is that it's generally not recommended to lose more than 2 or 3lbs per week, especially if you'd like to keep your muscle.

one thing i'd suggest is taking a multi-vitamin. it's hard enough for most people to get the recommended daily intake of most nutrients on a normal diet, it's even harder to get them when you're eating less to lose weight. the other thing is that if you're low on certain nutrients it could negatively affect your body and could hurt your weight loss efforts.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 9:28 pm

I only lost half a pound this week :x

all that effort, work and discipline! I'm most cross with myself.

See, there was a day this week, Wednesday I think it was. Anyway, there was a small tub of frosting in the cupboard that I wanted to mow on and there were some potato chips in another cupboard. Oh, man I was so tempted. Like a serious recovering alcoholic, I threw them away by up-ending the chips into the garbage and stuck cigarette butts into the frosting making it inedible.

Still, I only lost half a pound.

I'm mostly disappointed because if I maintain that, it'll take me forever to lose the weight. I'm now at 283.5 lbs.

I'll ask my doctor about getting back on the HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide - a diuretic)

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 10:21 pm

digger1 wrote:
I only lost half a pound this week :x

all that effort, work and discipline! I'm most cross with myself.

See, there was a day this week, Wednesday I think it was. Anyway, there was a small tub of frosting in the cupboard that I wanted to mow on and there were some potato chips in another cupboard. Oh, man I was so tempted. Like a serious recovering alcoholic, I threw them away by up-ending the chips into the garbage and stuck cigarette butts into the frosting making it inedible.

Still, I only lost half a pound.

I'm mostly disappointed because if I maintain that, it'll take me forever to lose the weight. I'm now at 283.5 lbs.

I'll ask my doctor about getting back on the HCTZ (hydrochlorothiazide - a diuretic)

go through your house with a garbage bag and just put in all the food you know you can't eat. Give it away (I put it out in my laundry room with a "free" sign. Most of it was gone in a day or two.) Only have food you can eat. I found if I tossed all the food with fat in it it was good for me. I could eat twice the carbs and twice the protien if I don't eat the fat and the fat on my body just melts off.

I settled into losing two to 3 pounds a week, a good pace that works for me. I learned to make packages of food that would be 1800 calories and have three meals and two snacks. When I ate it all, I was done for the day. I learned how to dole it out to me to not feel deprived and after a while I had to force myself to eat it all. But maintaining a constant calorie intake is how it takes it off, slow and steady. After a couple of months you will be astonished at the results!

keep on truckin' dude. Slow and steady pace, wins the race.

Merle

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 8:23 am

Weight loss is not a linear progression. Losing too much is detrimental to your health. Especially using things like diuretics or drugs.

The main goal is to make a habit of a healthy lifestyle. Not a certain figure. If you aim for the figure once you hit it, that's it. It's good for goal setting but the main aim is to adopt a healthy habit for life.

Don't know what your aim is but if your planning to lose 50lb's it will only be 2 years till your done. And weight loss varies from week to week. Such things as hydration, sleep patterns, timing your meals, variations in physical activity. so you lose half pound this week, one pound the next (or 2) it does fluctuate.

In summary: Don't lose heart, and don't do anything drastic or give up.

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 9:13 am

Oh I oppose.

It's just so frustrating, you know?

One good thing; my BMs are less loose. TMI? yeah. :oops:

My wife brought up a good point yesterday when I was sulking. Our daughter will be running soon, faster than we can walk. We'd like to be able to run with her and play tag or kickball or whatever. If I weigh less, I'll be able to run farther and faster and be less winded.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2009, 3:52 pm

Congratulations!
My recommendation is green tea. And a lot of fresh fruit, that seems to work best with me. And have fun playing with your daughter.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 4:15 pm

digger1 wrote:
Oh I oppose.

It's just so frustrating, you know?

One good thing; my BMs are less loose. TMI? yeah. :oops:

My wife brought up a good point yesterday when I was sulking. Our daughter will be running soon, faster than we can walk. We'd like to be able to run with her and play tag or kickball or whatever. If I weigh less, I'll be able to run farther and faster and be less winded.

so when is your next TOPS (for Take Pounds Off Successfully) meeting, Digger? Surely they have advice about weight loss from one week to the next they can share. Do you have a sponsor in TOPS, someone you can call that helps you through these trying times? Go ahead, call them, they can help.

Merle

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 4:24 pm

Taking Off Pounds Sensibly, actually. Doesn't matter. Same diff.

I'm pretty disenchanted with them anyway. I thought it would be more Q&A and talking about your troubles and sharing your dieting techniques but it's like a boy shout meeting - just sitting there in a church auxiliary room listening to the leaders speak about this and that. There's no back and fourth between people to voice my frustrations or ask advice.

I went for a pretty good walk today with my daughter. :D

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 4:44 pm

digger1 wrote:
Taking Off Pounds Sensibly, actually. Doesn't matter. Same diff.

I'm pretty disenchanted with them anyway. I thought it would be more Q&A and talking about your troubles and sharing your dieting techniques but it's like a boy shout meeting - just sitting there in a church auxiliary room listening to the leaders speak about this and that. There's no back and fourth between people to voice my frustrations or ask advice.

I went for a pretty good walk today with my daughter. :D

yea!! now take a walk over to Weight Watchers and get your dose of interactive dieting techniques with common sense ways of dieting strategies. You got a full time job to work off some weight so you can be there for your growing family, you can't be expected to have consistiant results without a game plan. Get a game plan!

just hoping to be helpful,

Merle