Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

vibratetogether
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Apr 2009, 8:16 am

Quote:
There is definitely a bias in the news gathering propagating organizations, but I would not call it left wing or even liberal. I would characterize it as Statist.

I absolutely agree with this.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 9:41 am

Orwell wrote:
Everyone has biases, and everyone who admits that they are biased believes that they are less biased than other people.

Like I said to others, the bias in and of itself I don't have a problem with... it's the hypocrisy... As far as I care, Fox is free under the 1st amendment to say whatever the hell they want... it's the fact that they call themselves "fair and balanced" when the consensus is that they're not that gets to me..,.

Quote:
Yeah... basically whichever party is in power uses the "He's the President, so you should support him even if you don't agree with his policies" line while the out-party will refuse to accept the in-party's legitimacy. Also, legislative filibusters are heroic opposition and preservation of minority rights against despotism of the majority by whichever party is weaker at the time, but are disloyal obstructionism, bordering on treason, to the party that holds a slim majority. Do you remember a few years back when the Republicans were tossing around the idea of doing away with Senate filibusters?

Right... my point being that if these companies are going to be the mouthpiece (or a more positive word, "voice") of their respective parties, they should be upfront about that instead of claiming to speak for all America...

Quote:
Suppression? No, you can find, somewhere, a source that will suit your own biases, no matter what those are.

If you could find me a legitimate news source (The Daily Show and The Onion don't count) that is based inside the US (BBC is out), that tells it like it is, I would be very happy... but as of now I haven't seen such...

ed
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 10:59 am

I find Fox News to be so heavily biased that watching them just raises my stress levels, which I try hard not to do.

When the Maersk Alabama came into port, the sailors gave a sort-of press conference. All the major outlets covered it. I was watching Fox News at the time, and their coverage did not include the audio, they said they couldn't get it. So I turned to CNN, and the audio was loud and clear. The crew was blasting the news media for endangering their lives, and that of their Captain. Somehow Fox News didn't want us to hear that. :lol:

I will give Fox News credit for one thing: if there's a breaking news story, especially a disaster, Fox has the best coverage by far.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 11:17 am

Last edited by claire-333 on 21 Apr 2009, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 11:55 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Like I said to others, the bias in and of itself I don't have a problem with... it's the hypocrisy... As far as I care, Fox is free under the 1st amendment to say whatever the hell they want... it's the fact that they call themselves "fair and balanced" when the consensus is that they're not that gets to me..,.

They say fair and balanced, not unbiased. I still see no hipocricy here.

Maybe it's because I don't expect that much from advertising slogans.

"The Most Trusted Name in News" --CNN
"America's Most Watched Network" --CBS
"America's News Leader" --NBC
"More People Get their News from ABC News than Any Other Source."

I also don't expect much from the news in general -- every national news story I've ever seen on TV that was about something that I had direct knowledge of had at least one glaring, factual error.

Quote:
If you could find me a legitimate news source (The Daily Show and The Onion don't count) that is based inside the US (BBC is out), that tells it like it is, I would be very happy... but as of now I haven't seen such...

Google news. Or Yahoo news if you don't like Google.

They have fox news, they have the Huffington Post, they have AP and Reuters, they have all the stupid sites that copy and paste AP and Reuters stories, they have the BBC and other foreign news sources, and they have blogs.

Many times blogs have more facts, better and more insightful analysis, and wittier writing than traditional news sources.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 12:35 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:

Wouldn't know of any; I don't follow American media very closely.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:05 pm

Crazy like a Foxnews topic

Fair and balanced...for a conservative news source. This is why the Canadian Prime Minister trusts it as his official news breaker. :P

Only in Canada. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:31 pm

Orwell wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

Wouldn't know of any; I don't follow American media very closely.

I have not found the Wall Street Journal to be nearly as dim witted and insulting as most mainstream newspapers, but then I guess that isn't setting the bar high.