Do you take pictures of people or events?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 4:56 am

I've just realized that pictures don't really mean much to me. I like taking and having pictures of accomplishments I've made like catching a fish or something. Or, if I see something cool like a landscape scene or neat animals in the wild, etc. But taking pictures of people or events just seem meaningless to me. I go to other people's house and I always notice all the different photo collages they have hanging on their walls where the subject matter is just meaningless to me. Groups of friends, not really doing anything, just standing next to each other and things like that. To me, it just seems pointless. Anyone else feel similar?

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 7:57 am

Well, I tend to agree with you, but I think there some really beautiful pictures that can be shown forever if one takes a photo at a given time, place, and angle. Since I often have an easier time expressing myself with pictures and videos, taking photos is great.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 8:46 am

Years ago, I took photos of animal corpses with my cellphone camera, and I lost my collection when my cellphone died.

Now, I like taking pictures of my pets, animals in the wild, landscapes, plants and flowers, etc. If I take photos of family reunions it's because someone asks me. I rarely take pictures of myself.

I also film videos when my siblings are making stupid things :D

Doro
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 10:22 am

I prefer taking pics of things that are interesting in any way, especially of my obscessions.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31303022@N05/

I guess I bore the hell out of every NT this way... :wink: :D

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:18 am

I take mental pictures which stay in my mind for as long as I want them to. So why bother taking out the camera?

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 1:57 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I take mental pictures which stay in my mind for as long as I want them to. So why bother taking out the camera?

Maybe sometimes we want to show pictures to our friends. :wink:

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 2:00 pm

I love photography and I'm passionate about it. But I prefer nature and landscapes over people. I'm awful about remembering to bring my camera to family events.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 2:13 pm

Henriksson wrote:
MathGirl wrote:

Maybe sometimes we want to show pictures to our friends. :wink:

That's how I am with things like my fishing pictures. As soon as I get home, I'm emailing it to various friends/family members and posting it on a fishing message board I'm a member of. But that's about it. I don't have any "casual" pictures of myself or friend/family/group pictures with me in them that are less than 3 - 5 years old.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 2:57 pm

I feel weird taking photos of people...it feels like I'm invading their privacy or something.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 5:58 pm

I prefer to take pictures of events.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 6:09 pm

An acquaintance of mine was offering to set up an account for me on a dating site, and he wanted pictures of me. I then realized that other than fishing pictures, I didn't have any pics of me. That's what got me thinking about this. I look at other people's profile pics of them just doing normal, casual, everyday things and I couldn't understand why they'd bother taking a picture of things like that.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2009, 11:13 pm

I didn't own a camera until several months ago when I bought one so that I could take a picture of myself to send to my online bf. I've taken hundreds of pictures, but only 3 are of a person -- myself. Mostly I take pictures of my cacti and succulents to show the folks on the cactus forum I frequent.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 12:38 am

Bataar wrote:
I look at other people's profile pics of them just doing normal, casual, everyday things...

Most of my photos are of me making silly faces, unless they're candid shots, in which case 99% of the time I'll look like I'm having a bad time :x

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 2:29 am

If you were to look through the photo albums of my family, you'd probably think I died after I turned 15. I'm not in any of them.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2009, 9:57 am

Bataar wrote:
taking pictures of people or events just seem meaningless to me. I go to other people's house and I always notice all the different photo collages they have hanging on their walls where the subject matter is just meaningless to me. Groups of friends, not really doing anything, just standing next to each other and things like that. To me, it just seems pointless. Anyone else feel similar?

I know what you mean. The most pointless photos I know is those figuring a group of people sitting around a dinnertable. One having a glas in front of his face, drinking, another putting food into her mouth and a third staring into the camera with a dirty plate in front of him. To see people eating on photos is quite discusting. But for some reason that kind of photos seemes to be quite popular.

I have asked those who take that kind of photos what their point with them is, they say "its to show we gathered together".
But I like to show gathering in another way in photos. When people are spontanious, talking, walking, laughing and when they are not lined up and away from the dinnertable!!
If on an event I try to take photos so unusual as its possible.Just to get a diffrent angle as everybody else take the same kind of photos. But events dont use to be interesting in photoview. I like way more the everydaylife kind of photos.

If I take photos of people with or together with myself "just standing next to each other",then it is to show the environment around us. That we met in a special place or are surrounded by an amazing nature or just to show "I was there". But I rarely take that kind of photos. If beeing at a rare place then the photos of the place itself have greater value than those with my ugly face spoiling the view in the middle of the photo!

I like to take photos of people in motion. When they are moving. I like the body expression as the person is very focused on something and dont notice my camera.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

21 Apr 2009, 6:26 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I feel weird taking photos of people...it feels like I'm invading their privacy or something.

I agree. I don't like to tell people to stand there so I can take a photo of them. Also it makes no sense if they are family because you ARE going to see them again. Still, I take quite a few photos of my pets & one could say that that makes no sense for the same reason.