Anyone else have English as their second language?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CambridgeSuperman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2009, 11:43 am

UndercoverAlien wrote:
My second language is English. Btw, you said your parents are chinese, does that means your first language is chinese? If so: 你好我的名字是undercoveralien. ^^

Thats right but I never learned to read or write (well not successfully anyway!) so i have no idea what you wrote lol

TheSpecialKid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2009, 5:07 pm

My primary language is Danish.

Sometimes though, I find it easier to describe my feelings in English. Maybe because there are more words.
Yet, there are still things I find impossible to describe and talk about. But that's not because of the language.

I am and will always be, MUCH better at writing than speaking, especially about emotions.
Sure some things are easier (and faster) to say, but then a conversation starts, and then I loose it again.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 8:06 pm

CambridgeSuperman wrote:
Thats right but I never learned to read or write (well not successfully anyway!) so i have no idea what you wrote lol

Oh wow, then English really is your primary language if not your first one, more so than I realized before.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 8:33 pm

dougn wrote:
CambridgeSuperman wrote:
My parents are Chinese and thats what they talked to me in at home. But I was born and educated in Britain so English is my native tongue.

Ah.

I have to admit, I really wish I grew up with more than one language, but both my parents are really monolingual so I guess there was not much chance of that.

I actually met my great grandmother. It wasn't until she died that I learned that she came from Germany and spoke Fluent German. In fact, at home, she spoke it with her husband all the time. When she spoke with me, it was just clear English. BTW they wree ALSO in an area where MANY probably spoke German. But Germans, in the US, tend to speak English in public. It is really just considered impolite in the US to speak a foreign language in the general public, and they were one of the many ethnic groups that usually took it to heart. I almost wish she had tried to teach me some German. 8-(

I have a japanese Aunt, and it might have been nice if she had tried to teach me some japanese. Though she was in an area that many japanese people were in, and sometimes spoke in japanese in public, she just spoke English to me. 8-(

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 9:26 am

English is my second language too. My native language is Danish.