Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2009, 8:40 pm

Eller wrote:
A lot of writing.

I like to think that I appear normal enough on the 'net, but I see that I'm somewhat overly formal, an argumentative appearance, egocentric in that I talk about myself often, lecturing in the same appearance and when I try to be social, it doesn't always go so well (I'm surprised I haven't been threatened with banning from here); all of which are shown traits of someone with AS, especially the highest functioning of cases. So, I'll be fair and say that no, I'm not completely normal, especially as I've perused places that are "normal" for someone in my age-range; I fit in with the more cerebral places where people talk about facts and ideas, and people at these places tend to be quite a bit older than I am.

Now, the autistic tin man, he needs far more than some oil to appear remotely normal.

O, and KOR, yeah, people with LFA will have in the least, family with them, and oftentimes government staff. Besides, it's not like people with LFA are on average anymore disruptive than those with HFA/AS; the former just have greater problems with communicating.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 1:07 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I like to think that I appear normal enough on the 'net, but I see that I'm somewhat overly formal, an argumentative appearance, egocentric in that I talk about myself often, lecturing in the same appearance and when I try to be social, it doesn't always go so well (I'm surprised I haven't been threatened with banning from here); all of which are shown traits of someone with AS, especially the highest functioning of cases. So, I'll be fair and say that no, I'm not completely normal, especially as I've perused places that are "normal" for someone in my age-range; I fit in with the more cerebral places where people talk about facts and ideas, and people at these places tend to be quite a bit older than I am.

Sometimes I find myself being annoyed at NTs being overly formal. :lol: Not often, but it happens. And no, I'm not completely normal either, but I usually hang out with artists or scientists, and I fit in fairly well with them. They tend to be tolerant and quite intelligent. (Of course, most of my friends, even the NT ones, would be considered "a bit weird" by society.) Communication gets worse with dumb people. Sounds a bit elitist, I know, but I can't talk to people who don't have a grasp of simple logic. It's like, huh? I don't understand what they want from me, and they don't understand me either. It's not even that I mind them personally, it's just that conversation will be strained.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 3:01 am

Eller wrote:
More typing

Well hell, I guess I just need to colour myself normal on the 'net, really. :) Yes, artists and scientists, especially when they're from an area that you're interested in, will be far more fitting for someone with AS than your standard peers of the same age. Yes again, said people usually are considered weird, as they tend to be on the fringes of normal, but they're still within the normal range, but in the minority of normal. Whereas the individual with AS is effectively a statistical outlier compared to everyone, even if there are specific groups that they get along with better than others.

I can only really talk to people associated with an interest, like ASDs in this case, but here out in the open is much easier than something like PM. Other than the basics, I'm not very good with emotions and speaking of them; I can talk logic and philosophy if people talk about such with me (it's interesting, but logic and philosophy are something outside of an interest to me. It's how I actually understand things, so it makes sense that I'm ok with talking about it).

Anyway, I guess I do appear normal enough if I'm around someone who can talk to me and I them.

In person is different, of course.

animal
Toucan
Toucan

20 Apr 2009, 3:36 am

I've thought about going to an AS group, but I was told they would be full of talkative adolescent boys and I would feel just as out of place there as I feel everywhere else (I am a quiet [very quiet] twentysomething girl). Also, I don't really have any desire to meet more people. I am naturally very quiet when around people, and as I have no real motivation for pushing myself to connect with them, I tend not to make an effort. Although I think it's actually an effort enough just to be around other people in the first place.

I've never thought about how I appear online. Probably a bit weird.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2009, 4:41 am

Danielismyname wrote:
typing :lol:

I've been in groups of neurotypical people where I've been perceived and addressed as the "normal" one by outsiders. That's saying a lot, I guess. :lol:
Yes, people from the areas I'm interested in have always treated me at least respectfully, even those I didn't get along well with personally. Factual debates are comfortable. And I'm also comfortable talking about topics that aren't my specific interests but don't upset me either. I only discuss emotional stuff with very close friends.