Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 10:06 am

The one in my school ain't really that loud so I'm okay with it.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 9:43 am

No not really.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 2:19 pm

Well, I like fire DRILLS...

Fire alarms are interesting. Just because the last few places I've lived, they've been really weird. Like, in my last building, it would start like "WHOOOOP, WHOOOOP, attention please, attention please, there is a..." and I can't remember the rest of the message because it would stop RANDOMLY, just at any old point in the message, (I think I heard the whole thing ONCE) and start up again at any old point, and the bursts would get shorter and shorter (though it wasn't completely consistent and some would be longer) until it was just a short little "WHOO" every 2-5 minutes. So bizarre.

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2015, 4:32 am

Yes and No.

No because they scare the crud out of me when they go off unexpectedly, but like one of the other repliers said, "I'd rather have them and live than not have them and die." Well something like that. Fire alarms are scary like shots for sick people or to prevent sickness, but they are important. Fire alarms almost always scared me when I was in school." They'd still scare me to this day!

But I do find them interesting, especially the ones that come with strobe lights. The ones that don't come with strobe lights are less interesting to me, plus I don't like that some buildings don't have fire alarms. Back then I used to feel the opposite, now I am an almost firm believer that fire alarms, especially those with strobe lights should be installed all buildings, especially big buildings.

I'm planning to get a smoke detector with a strobe light on it, to have second smoke detector in my apartment and the strobe light is for cosmetic purposes and can go off when the smoke alarm is set off. I just need to save more than 100 dollars for one.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2015, 9:49 pm

My girlfriend hates them cuz of her sensory issues. I hate the 1s we have here cuz they chirp unless there' no battery or a dead battery in them which is very odd considering that they run on electricity & the battery is just a backup incase of a power outage.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:49 pm

TimmyTurnerFan1 wrote:
Yes and No.

No because they scare the crud out of me when they go off unexpectedly, but like one of the other repliers said, "I'd rather have them and live than not have them and die." Well something like that. Fire alarms are scary like shots for sick people or to prevent sickness, but they are important. Fire alarms almost always scared me when I was in school." They'd still scare me to this day!

But I do find them interesting, especially the ones that come with strobe lights. The ones that don't come with strobe lights are less interesting to me, plus I don't like that some buildings don't have fire alarms. Back then I used to feel the opposite, now I am an almost firm believer that fire alarms, especially those with strobe lights should be installed all buildings, especially big buildings.

I'm planning to get a smoke detector with a strobe light on it, to have second smoke detector in my apartment and the strobe light is for cosmetic purposes and can go off when the smoke alarm is set off. I just need to save more than 100 dollars for one.

Yeah. The noise from a smoke detector can scare some people, but it's more scary not having a smoke detector in a house than it is having one.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 7:58 am

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
I love the sound of fire alarms almost as much as I love the smell of gasoline.

Let me guess, you don't like them at all?

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 10:36 am

I can tolerate them once they've began their raucous cuckoo clock of doom serenade, it's when they splutter into deafening life that I can't accept, I don't mind once I've 'adjusted' from the scare cause they are consistent and won't do anything too unpredictable unless it's an authentic inferno and they melt and scream and alter their pitch.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 12:32 pm

I once had to live in a home where the smoke detector went off constantly whenever food was being cooked. It was heat and not smoke that set if off, so you didn't have to even be burning anything. I didn't even have to leave my bedroom to know supper was getting because the alarm went off so much it was maddening. We would take turns trying to fan the detector with a tea towel until it stopped only, for it to start up again. This home I once had to live in was very strict about fire safety. We had firefighter stickers in all our bedroom windows, we were reminded at least once a week how to use the extinguisher, and we got to watch a nice little PSA telling us that if the place is on fire during the night we'll only have 60 seconds - if we're "lucky" - to escape with nothing but the clothes on our backs and our lives, we won't have time to grab anything we want to take with us, and that we're probably good as dead anyway because the carbon monoxide we've been inhaling in our sleep will make us horribly disoriented.

I used to jokingly say the only thing that *wouldn't* set the alarm off is a real fire.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2016, 4:17 pm

The joke in my family is that it's not really Thanksgiving unless the smoke detector goes off, and the bird isn't even burnt. It's that opening the oven sometimes triggers the smoke detector, so the sliding door to the hall gets closed. Still, I'd rather have smoke detectors than risk going without one.

Now, when I was growing up, I first hated fire drills because the alarm was so loud. Eventually I got used to them because in junior high and high school, the alarm was a shorter version of the bells that signaled the start and end of class periods.