Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2006, 5:42 pm

Well alright. Not a new one, because I don't have one to start with.

Here's my point. I've studied my history. And the huge anti-christian attitude going around is bread for the followers of stupidity, i.e. not me.

My view of christianity:
The how-man-treats-fellow-man way of christianity is excellent. It's a great code of interacting with each other.

So we should keep this part. Except have it so that it includes women and children. Love thy neighbour and love thy enemies and all of that.

That's all though.

I feel we need to be pagan in our view towards nature and the mother-earth. Don't know too much of this. But I feel that we need to respect nature even more than we respect each other. No "dominion" or any other such ********.

And then I feel add to that the field of psychology.

And then the field of learning. A religion that teaches the value of learning and learning and learning - knowledge is power - and power is good - anyone that doesn't think that is not knowledgable and/or mentally-sick.

So what are your ideas, WrongPlanet?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 5:54 pm

Everyone here I'm sure has their own views on religions. As far as what I've read, it feels like the buddhist mentality on life (particularly the Dalai Lama's) seems to cut closest to the quick in terms of really dealing with human nature for what it is and understanding the nature of social cause and effect as well as - yes - the happiness of true self-sufficiency. Speaking of which, I haven't read The Art of Happiness in 4 or 5 years, I should probably reread it to see what kind of stuff I'd catch at 26 that I wouldn't have at 21.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 6:08 pm

psybot wrote:
My view of christianity:
The how-man-treats-fellow-man way of christianity is excellent. It's a great code of interacting with each other.

So we should keep this part.

So what are your ideas, WrongPlanet?

I'm not sure Christianity is a pick-and-choose sort of thing. If it's true, you're stuck with the whole of it, give or take a few frills of interpretation, and if it isn't why take any of it on board?

Though the golden rule, in a variety of forms, is not unique to Christianity, so that's not a problem. Next detail in the religion is how you intend to deal with those who don't share your perpective.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 6:42 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Everyone here I'm sure has their own views on religions. As far as what I've read, it feels like the buddhist mentality on life (particularly the Dalai Lama's) seems to cut closest to the quick in terms of really dealing with human nature for what it is and understanding the nature of social cause and effect as well as - yes - the happiness of true self-sufficiency. Speaking of which, I haven't read The Art of Happiness in 4 or 5 years, I should probably reread it to see what kind of stuff I'd catch at 26 that I wouldn't have at 21.

I agree. Hope to get round to reading "the art of hapiness" once my brother has finished with it. Studying Buddhism will probably be the closest il come to being religious these days.

psybot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2006, 7:49 pm

Emettman wrote:
Next detail in the religion is how you intend to deal with those who don't share your perpective.

Good question.

I think you deal with this in the way that christians are supposed to - ie never force it on anyone. Instead, live your life well according to your own views and maybe suggest somethings to some people. I think the best leaders are those that practise what they preach. And even then, I don't think it's very good to spend a lot of time "preaching" as we've all heard of reverse psychology. I think that if we spend more energy on fixing ourselves than trying to "fix" other people, this will lead to good things.

Alright - I've probably contradicted myself I dunno. Self-control is something I need to work on :wink: .

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 8:54 pm

Quote:
And then the field of learning. A religion that teaches the value of learning and learning and learning - knowledge is power - and power is good - anyone that doesn't think that is not knowledgable and/or mentally-sick.

Well, wisdom (in christian circles) is regarded as god-given, like being plugged into the source of all things and just getting one's knowledge directly from god.

As for power, I'd say I'm in it (christianity) for the power but it's spiritual, not wordly. I think Nietszche described christianity as 'autistic'. IT IS! It's oppositional-defiant too.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2006, 3:57 am

My grandmother (a hardcore catholic) converted to Anglican because the Catholic priest commented on how much candy she is eating :lol:

I always will support her decision.

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2006, 12:10 pm

Why not cultivate a religion of love, that is something that none of the religions on offer aspire to. :?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2006, 5:04 pm

I'd just love to see a religion of civics and social science become the norm here - just to get people into being good to eachother and civil again regardless of whether or not there's a life hereafter.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2006, 12:28 am

for some reason all the christans ive meet r as*holes almost nazi

passn_thru2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Jan 2006, 1:36 am

Jesus lived right on the Cross Roads of the Old Silk Road. in Palistine it turned north to the Caspian Sea, south to Damiscas and Persia and it contenued on west to Cairo.

Buddhism had been around for 500 years at the time of Christ.. and where else could a jew who lived in a culture where people eagerly stoned to death their family and friends for what today wouldnt even draw a sideward glance more less a mistamenor.

the Teaching of the Buddha was pruely that of tollerance, compassion and love..what Jesus said.

Buddhism is not a Religion. it is more akin to a Pshchology. Budhism is essentually the Four Noble Truths, 1/ life involves disatisfaction, suffering, wanting things to be other than they are. 2/suffering is the result of grasping:/desire/anger/aversion/etc. 3/since there is a cause there is a cure, which is... 4/the Noble 8 Fold Path.. which is a moral noble lifestyle which eleminates or at least reduces the bad karma in the process of living and a serious dedicated study and the practace of Meditation, which is simply training the mind not to grasp thoughts and emotions.

there is a better explanation at http://www.buddhanet.net and there area some mp3 audio explanations of the details in their Buddhanet Audio section.. i tape them and listen to them and my collection of teachings while i mommute to work and back.

in Buddhism salvation is the responsibility of the individual. but they work together cause it is difficult to practace by yourself.. especially without a teacher.

when i found the Chenrezig Buddhist Center it was like i had come home after a very long journey, they are run by the Galupa's branch of the Tibetan Tradition, the Dalai
Lamas monistary.

it is like i was always a Buddhist and didnt know it... i had previously run into some psudo Zen dharma bums whos foolishness had poisoned my opinion of what Buddhism was back in the 70's.. my life would have been so much different if i had really understood what it was about then.. i cant even think about that without nearly crying now.. i wasted half my precious human life as an alcoholic and chasing transitory foolishmess. but that did teache me the value of Buddhism...

if you decide to see if Buddhism works for you, it would be a good idea to stick to the traditional groups till you get a good idea of what it is about.. the Theravada is essentual to understand, the Tibetans have developed Meditation into a Technical Science.. that is quite compatible with westerners. i only bring this up because there are some psudo Buddhist groups out there..

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 6:28 pm

Quote:
And the huge anti-christian attitude going around is bread for the followers of stupidity

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 8:19 pm

Though I find the similarities between Buddhism and the teachings of Christ interesting, we shouldn't confuse the issue and say that Jesus was a 'guru'. This overlooks his essential jewishness. The differences between judaism and buddhism are so numerous, so vast, and so obvious it makes it impossible to call Jesus a guru.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

24 Jan 2006, 5:30 am

why not just invent your own twist on what ever your core beliefs are?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 5:44 pm

Well that's what David Koresh did.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 9:08 pm

Hey, we could make up a new cult where we elect David Hasselhoff as god, all wear black leather jackets, and all ride arround in black cars with hi tints and a talking consoles :D