Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 7:46 pm

When I was 16 I was interviewed to do some sort of volunteer work in connection with school (I think it involved a hospital).

I was later told that the interviewer had reported I was high for the interview.

My school must not have believed them as there were no consequences. By which I mean it may have been obvious to them why someone would think that. If they'd really thought I was high I might have been in serious trouble.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 7:54 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:

In many Canadian provinces it is illegal to be drunk in public.

Wow that is so unCanadian. What is this world coming to?

@Rascal77s you don't indicate in your profile if you're Canadian, but despite its reputation for being more progressive than the US, Canada is no stranger to Puritanism. Here are some laws regarding alcohol in Québec (the only Canadian province with which I have much personal experience). Note some of this may be out of date.

Although you can buy beer at a convenience store, hard liquor can only be purchased at outlets run by the provincial government that have VERY short hours.

AFAIK it is never legal to drink outdoors (there may be exceptions made for certain public events). People have apparently been arrested for drinking in their back yard.

In a taverne, if you are sitting at your table with a drink, and somebody at a neighboring table invites you to join them, legally you must summon a staff member to carry your drink to the other table; it is illegal to carry it yourself.

Apologies for any inaccuracies in the above.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:05 pm

People have assumed I'm on drugs many times. I was fired once for it(indirectly). I think this is a huge source of my anxiety problems.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 8:12 pm

That's terrible. You would think the cops there would be more accepting. Like FFS, I'm in one of the more conservative parts of Canada, and something like that would never happen here! People here only get thrown in the drunk tank if they are genuinely drunk and disorderly,

Also, since when was it illegal to drink outside in most of Canada? Here in Alberta at least, it's a common thing for a lot of people to drink out on their decks or in their back yards. It's only drinking out in public which is considered an issue, and even then, I almost never hear about people getting arrested for it, even with all the crumpled-up beer cans I see lying around.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 May 2014, 12:43 am

Im rarely thought to be on drugs. People will however comment saying that I look upset or mad in a large social situation when I am not. I think it might be because I am being overwhelmed by everything, or maybe I just really show how upset I actually am to the world even if I dont think I am. Ick thats a bad thought I just had :x

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 7:02 am

there are horror stories here about the fuzz and autism-spectrum people. Specifically, our SPVM agents think that it is an invented condition and those with it are sucking society's blood. One was threatened with death by a 30-year veteran according to a recent newspapers article. We don't call them the SSPVM for nothing.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 7:07 am

In Montreal, public drunkenness is only banned under municipal bylaws under two circumstances. Loitering drunk or lying down incapacitated drunk. Quebec City has a blanket ban on public drunkenness. The thing is, what people don't know, is that according to municipal bylaws in the province, the definition of drunkenness is "psychic disruption caused by absorption of alcohol" which demands a level of drunkenness that does not cover everything, it requires serious drinking. People go to municipal court not knowing this... that they have this defence.

As for drinking out doors, that applies only to the public domain in Montreal. Also, there is nothing banning open containers. One can also drink around picnic tables in parks with some food...

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 7:18 am

This is the process for the drunkenness ticket in Montreal...

The police will note the manifestations of the said drunkenness... the eyes in particular and what have you, and this is the "proof" written in the report which has the power of a statement under oath in case the officer cannot turn up for trial.

When trial comes you can defend yourself either with alternative explanations for the symptoms, (fatigue for red eyes cited in a very useful case out of Quebec City) as well as admitting to a level of drinking ruled insufficient in previous cases (that case out of Quebec City, thank you very much Judge Paulin Cloutier)... if the officer is overdoing the tale of drunkenness then a good trick is to ask him on the stand all sorts of details that he can't possibly remember but you do... and who was the drunk one?

According to Canadian jurisprudence, your testimony need only create reasonable doubt and it's the duty of the judge to acquit you under R. V W(D) 1991...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 8:25 pm

xenon13 wrote:
there are horror stories here about the fuzz and autism-spectrum people. Specifically, our SPVM agents think that it is an invented condition and those with it are sucking society's blood. One was threatened with death by a 30-year veteran according to a recent newspapers article. We don't call them the SSPVM for nothing.

Note to self: stay the f**k out of Montreal. :P