Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

23 Apr 2009, 12:04 am

Mine's never been stolen but one of my dad's friends had his car stolen and it was found a few weeks later off the road wrecked.
Back when my parents were living in Portland, someone tried to steal my dad's 1970 truck while they were gone. When they got home, the truck was gone but they found it around the corner and it had been hot wired. The truck didn't run very well so the people gave up trying to steal it :lol: I don't think they bothered calling the police.

My little brother once stole one of our parents' cars when I was in high school so he can go somewhere and he didn't even ask for permission to borrow it. Don't worry they got it back since he lived with them :lol: but he ended up getting the long talk from our mother about what he did.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 6:27 am

no, but if it was I'd be p***ed off as it isn't even mine and I'd have a lot of explaining to do if I actually happened to be driving it prior to it getting stolen, it's immobilised anyway so it's pretty hard to take without the keys which is a relief :)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

ed
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 8:32 am

I've had my car stolen twice... first someone stole it , drove it from Ft Lauderdale to Miami and abandoned it. There the Miami Police Dept stole it again when they impounded it, and wanted so much money to get it back that I had to let it go.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2009, 9:38 am

yes and no. i was carjacked, but it wasn't my car.

The former things have passed away."

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:18 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Mine's never been stolen but one of my dad's friends had his car stolen and it was found a few weeks later off the road wrecked.
Back when my parents were living in Portland, someone tried to steal my dad's 1970 truck while they were gone. When they got home, the truck was gone but they found it around the corner and it had been hot wired. The truck didn't run very well so the people gave up trying to steal it :lol: I don't think they bothered calling the police.

My little brother once stole one of our parents' cars when I was in high school so he can go somewhere and he didn't even ask for permission to borrow it. Don't worry they got it back since he lived with them :lol: but he ended up getting the long talk from our mother about what he did.

Most of the cars I have owned would not have been worth the effort to steal.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:23 pm

ed wrote:
I've had my car stolen twice... first someone stole it , drove it from Ft Lauderdale to Miami and abandoned it. There the Miami Police Dept stole it again when they impounded it, and wanted so much money to get it back that I had to let it go.

That's terrible. IMO the Founding Fathers would be horrified by police in their modern state in the USA. Its one of the main things the Constitution was written to prevent.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 1:40 pm

No, but I've had my pushbike stolen.

I had used a cable lock to secure it outside a busy supermarket in the middle of a weekday afternoon. There were crowds of people all around and I went in to do my shopping.

Came out to empty space. They had even taken the cable lock; it wasn't cut through and left, it was gone too. As was my really nice pannier baskets, the rack I'd bought to hang them from, and a front basket. It was a cheap bike but I'd spent a lot of extra money on all the things that made it useful for me, and being without a car, it was my "car."

I was furious. The police said it's very common and even when the bike itself is cheap and not of any interest to sell on, the thieves are looking for the scrap metal.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2017, 4:39 pm

No, but somebody once ripped the radio out of the car.