Do You Remember Faces From Your Childhood?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 2:52 pm

I was reading a book lately, about Transactional Analysis. One of the recurring exercises in the book was to go back to childhood and remember certain experiences- (always relating to particular subjects). In many of these exercises, the reader was asked to remember (and visualize) the faces and body language of important people in their lives- (parents, siblings, teachers, etc.) However, I could not for the life of me visualize any particular experience where I could remember the faces or body language of people from my childhood! Of course, I do know what my parents and others looked like, mainly because I´ve seen them in so many pictures...(though I can´t visualize one single teacher from Elementary School; it´s like they never existed for me). The way it was written in the book, it seemed to be considered normal and usual to be able to remember these things.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it just me? Do most NTs remember, and can visualize this stuff? Just curious.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2009, 3:09 pm

I can't remember any...

End it all?

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 3:13 pm

I'd be interested to know whether NTs remember. I only remember shapes of old teachers. Sometimes a face will flash in there, but I don't know if it's the person or someone like them I've seen since then. I mean, that's why we value photographs, isn't it? The brain doesn't hold everything forever.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Apr 2009, 3:24 pm

I can get a general idea of what some people looked like, particularily teachers and others whom I'd had close contact with. Others however are only a name or idea in my mind.

For example, I can vividly remember all of the places where my mom lived while I was growing up, but I have no idea what the people she lived with looked like although I can remember interacting with them. It's kind of odd, I know.

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2009, 3:46 pm

I can't remember what friends who I know now looked like, I just always see them as what they look like today.
But I can remember what most people look like.
It's just names really.
EMZ=]

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 3:52 pm

Remembering faces and body language...of course not.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 4:05 pm

Uh ....... I don't remember faces from my present! :lol:

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 4:09 pm

I appear to be the exception here, but I have freakishly good facial recognition skills and long-term memory so I absolutely can remember people in my life as far back as kindergarten. I also remember some people from before kindergarten, but I don't have many memories from that time period. But from kindergarten on, I can remember people, faces, occurrences, etc.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 4:10 pm

I don't recognize much body language when it's right in front of me, I certainly can't recall any from years ago...some faces from school years are still in there, as vague images, but I couldn't sit down and draw any of them.

A few weeks ago, I walked right past a guy who was part of the same posse I hung with throughout most of my 20s - if my wife hadn't spoken to him and pointed him out to me, I never would have known he was there - and he was less than three feet away from me.

sillyputty
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 4:13 pm

When I was little I didn't even see faces. I usually distinguished people by size, hair color, or sound of voice. Which is why I freaked out when my mom went from having dark auburn hair to being a bleached blonde.
So, no I can't recall faces or much body language for that matter.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 4:54 pm

Willard wrote:
some faces from school years are still in there, as vague images, but I couldn't sit down and draw any of them..

Well yeah, that's true. I actually have a pretty good memory of my childhood and I remember lots of my old friends and teacher and ect but 1. I am bad at noticing details in general 2. I don't pay much attention to faces. People in my dreams are faceless and detailess, too.

I am pondering this now and I can remember the faces of my best friends or boys I had crushes on.. but I see them as a picture of themselves.. like.. I may be remembering their pictures from the yearbook. I can't notice if they had a frekle somewhere or small detail and I can't remember how they moved or what they looked like when they laughed or frowned... just a static picture of them smiling.

marcus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2009, 5:33 pm

I have total amnesia before the age of five. After that my memory kicks in. I do remember most of the faces of schoolmates and teachers, not always names, never body language. I'm not even sure what body language means in terms of "our" long term memory. I guess it's a case of our own individual priorites. I remember every pretty girl I adored from afar. I feel comfort in the fact that on my death bed in the oxygen tent in the hospital I will be able to fondly remember all the girls I loved before(thanks Willy) even if they were only from afar.

anthonylee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2009, 6:18 pm

I remember many faces from my childhood very vividly, but not all! I have a partial photographic memory with some things. I have a lot of difficulties interpreting facial expressions though! My verbal memories from my childhood are far far fewer than my visual ones. This doesn't mean that I can't get nearvous and temporarily forget what a face looks like.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 6:20 pm

Faces from the past topic

I grew up at a time when pictures were taken by black and white cameras. If I remember at all, the faces are not in colour. The same with mine, and my family.

Oh, well.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Apr 2009, 7:15 pm

i have a good memory when it comes to remember peoples faces or names from the past.
and i always wonder if they remember me but i doubt it they think im crazy.

Safia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2009, 11:42 pm

I remember some, but others, no clue. My parents lived apart one summer when I was in elementary school, and I went with my dad. That summer my mom lost weight, cut her long hair short, and when we met at the end of the summer to go back home, she was coming towards us, and my dad was saying "There she is!" and I couldn't see here anywhere. I remember feeling so afraid, because I couldn't find her. She was nowhere. Even after my dad was holding her in his arms, I couldn't recognize her as my mother. That was such a scary experience. It took a very long time for my mom and I took re-connect after that. I don't think she ever realized it was because she changed her appearance. -Safia