Do You Remember Faces From Your Childhood?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Safia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2009, 11:42 pm

I remember some, but others, no clue. My parents lived apart one summer when I was in elementary school, and I went with my dad. That summer my mom lost weight, cut her long hair short, and when we met at the end of the summer to go back home, she was coming towards us, and my dad was saying "There she is!" and I couldn't see here anywhere. I remember feeling so afraid, because I couldn't find her. She was nowhere. Even after my dad was holding her in his arms, I couldn't recognize her as my mother. That was such a scary experience. It took a very long time for my mom and I took re-connect after that. I don't think she ever realized it was because she changed her appearance. -Safia

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2009, 11:48 pm

Faces

Yes, I can remember many faces from my childhood and onward even of people that didn't play any particular role in my life.

I seem to be very good at visual memory but have terrible memory when it comes to anything mechanical.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 2:01 am

Memories fade with time...

The faces I still remember used to tend to the negative, but the more positive and lasting improvements I make to my mood and attitudes, the more my memory tends towards positive faces.

The kinds of faces we tend to remember may be a clue to the current state of one's own attitudes, moods, and core beliefs.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 2:43 am

I have terrible memory for faces. I might get a flash of a face. But for instance, trying to remember a friend of mine, I can see his clothes and his hair, and it takes awhile of thinking about it to work up to his face.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2009, 1:44 pm

I don't remember any faces from my childhood. I'm always surprised to hear that someone went to my old school because I rarely even get the "that face rings a bell" feeling. I can barely picture faces from my present, I can perhaps picture small details but never the whole face. I have an appalling visual memory and not a good memory for anything else either. :lol:

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 3:42 pm

I can "remember" some faces from my childhood, but they are all frozen, like snapshots. To be honest, I think most of my memories are from pictures anyway.

But according to these transactual analysis exercises that I wrote about in my first Post, one is supposed to go back to one´s childhood and see the faces and body language of people- animated, and with expressions- sort of like little movies of the past. This I absolutely can´t do at all. I see no movement or movies, it´s all a kind of a blur.

I wonder if part of this is because I probably never really looked at people much when I was younger. When I made an effort to concentrate on my eye contact about 6 years ago, I realized, in doing so, that I had barely looked at people up to that point.

In contrast, I can see faces and body language of people from the more recent past. I don´t think this has so much to do with actual memory, but more with where my focus is- (literally and figuratively).

Does anyone have a similar experience?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 4:09 pm

I remember a few, selective faces. It's odd that I can remember my mom's friend's face but cannot remember the face of my own school friend. But I do remember most of them... just the facial features. Not the eyes, of course.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2009, 5:26 pm

Morgana wrote:
I wonder if part of this is because I probably never really looked at people much when I was younger. When I made an effort to concentrate on my eye contact about 6 years ago, I realized, in doing so, that I had barely looked at people up to that point.

Same for me, except I only made an effort to engage in some eye contact a year-or-so ago.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 5:46 pm

I can't remember any faces, including those of people I know right now.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 5:56 pm

Morgana wrote:
I can "remember" some faces from my childhood, but they are all frozen, like snapshots. To be honest, I think most of my memories are from pictures anyway.

But according to these transactual analysis exercises that I wrote about in my first Post, one is supposed to go back to one´s childhood and see the faces and body language of people- animated, and with expressions- sort of like little movies of the past. This I absolutely can´t do at all. I see no movement or movies, it´s all a kind of a blur.

In contrast, I can see faces and body language of people from the more recent past. I don´t think this has so much to do with actual memory, but more with where my focus is- (literally and figuratively).

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Yes exactly what I said, I think what I am remebering from my childhood are photos. I never looked at people and I still don't actually. I have worked on my eye contact to the point where I can pull it off enough to seem 'honest and trustworthy' and all that.. but I still don't 'look' at them. I look at an invisible glass wall about an inch from their face or I look at them but space out in my brain so that I'm not actually seeing them. That's the only way I can pull off eye contact. So it still doesn't help me to see and remember people :lol:

I am thinking now and the person I know the best is my (soon to be ex) husband who I have known for 5 years and the first person I was comfortable looking at... I can mostly see his face if I think about it.. but I still can't really see him moving or his facial expressions or body language :?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 6:12 pm

I remember them oh, too well.

Alien_Papa
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 11:14 pm

My mind has great capacity to remember certain kinds of information while also refusing entry to other information (especially names and faces). It can be quite embarassing, somebody tells me their name and 30 seconds later I can't remember it. But if they hand me a business card and I see it in writing then I'll remember it for years. If they told me some meaningless fact about themselves like their shoe size then I'd probably remember that, but names are like a drop of water falling into the ocean, a second later there's no evidence it ever existed.

Earlier this year I had a business meeting with somebody and clearly remembered him as young and blond. A month later I met him again and he was middle aged with salt and pepper hair. What was I thinking?

25 Apr 2009, 12:41 am

I remember what my friends looked like from when I was a kid and kids in my class. I saw them all the time so that's how I remember but I can't remember what this girl named Teresa looked like. I didn't see her often is why. She just came next door sometimes, I think they were her aunt and uncle and she come there to visit with her mother. Then when they moved, I never saw the girl again.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 1:08 am

I can, in a rudimentary way... kind of a mental catalog, not so much a picture.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2009, 3:41 am

I can't remember my own face never mind anyone else's. :lol:

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2009, 4:56 am

Uranus wrote:
I can't remember my own face never mind anyone else's. :lol: