Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 8:36 am

my fear of cancer has increased 10 fold!!

She was about 27 close to my age and not that I cared for her personality or watched her reality shows.....but when I heard the news, I was sitting there thinking, "That could be me!"

I haven't seen a doc in 2 years.... :oops:

..and have had lower abdominal pains for a while now. I just wish these examinations weren't so painful for me. I almost cried during the last exam.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 11:14 am

So it sounds like you have a choice. Putting up with a bit of agony (your exams) to avoid having excruciating debillitation?

not much of a choice, is it?

I wish you the best.

Merle

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 9:55 am

yeah I've actually been saving up for the HPV vaccine ever since I heard about this Jade Goody thing. that would make me feel a whole lot safer.

how is the test painful though? don't they just take a sample of the fluid to examine? I never even felt much when they stack that cotton bud in there :p

Angel_Maria
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2009, 7:34 pm

mmmm strangly i was just reading up about the form of cancer she had on another web page and i have had them symptoms for at least a year now. I am going to docs in 2 days anyway coz i found a lump elsewhere so i might ask them about it. Its good that awarness has been raised though

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 5:40 am

I once tried to kick my GP when she was trying to give me a pelvic examination. It was an unconscious movement, I was far less comfortable than I thought. Luckily she got out of the way in time.... wasnt a good look anyway.

People are so much more aware of cervical cancer now, thanks to her. She certainly raised awareness of it.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:17 pm

anna-banana wrote:
yeah I've actually been saving up for the HPV vaccine ever since I heard about this Jade Goody thing. that would make me feel a whole lot safer.

how is the test painful though? don't they just take a sample of the fluid to examine? I never even felt much when they stack that cotton bud in there :p

Like Zen_mistress said, the pelvic exam hurts like hell and I've embarassed myself a couple of times by whining and crying. It's been bad enough to where I've had a couple of doctors ask me where it hurt and why.

I also get terribly phobic when I'm told to dress down and lay back under heavy bright neon lights. Makes me feel as if I've been abducted by a UFO!! :hmph:

I did however take sinsboldly's advise and have scheduled an appointment. I'm also going to see about that HPV vacine so thanks for bringing that up anna-banana.

Angel_Maria, good luck. I hope it doesn't come to that. I've also had little lumps before thinking it was that and finding out it wasn't. And yeah, in some ways I'm glad this gal that died didn't die in silence. So I'm definitely going to take the issue with cancer more serious now. I had a grandma that died of breast cancer so you'd think I'd know better.

Anyway, I didn't really have much to say but just thought I'd bring the issue to light. It just shocked me because I thought it happened to people pass their 20's and 30's. It also looks like a painful way to go.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 5:26 pm

Thanks for the reminder, MissConstrue and Anna-banana. I have not been to a doctor in years either. I really should look into that vaccine too...

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 8:09 pm

Yeah it does hurt. One thing that my doctor did to help me was use a smaller instrument, apparently they come in different sizes... less intimidating I guess.

I think one thing to remember is that many aspies are not good with medical examinations or being touched so we have to do whatever we can to get through them and not worry if we cry or behave oddly or whatever. I talk to myself if I am getting a blood test. I got one last week, and all I could see in the little room was the calendar so I started saying "April. May. June." The nurse thought I was trying to make small talk and she said "Oh yes, I am not looking forward to June. I hate winter." And I said "Yes. Miserable weather." even though I like rainy winters, but it is nice to have someone being friendly to me. But there are many ways I think to get through unpleasant medical stuff.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:25 pm

MissConstrue wrote:

Like Zen_mistress said, the pelvic exam hurts like hell and I've embarassed myself a couple of times by whining and crying. It's been bad enough to where I've had a couple of doctors ask me where it hurt and why.

IIRC, pelvic exam is not essential to diagnose this type of cancer- they do it to check for lumps or if they've already found cancer cells in the sample of the fluids. but I might be mistaken.

anyway, it's better to suffer for a few minutes than to die before hitting 30...

millie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 4:03 am

Who is jade goody?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 3:02 pm

millie wrote:
Who is jade goody?

haha! :lmao:

millie, I wish I didn't know as well. don't google her! :wink:

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 3:04 am

If I were female I'd have already gotten vaccinated for HPV by now. Even though Im not, I think I should say to everyone here who is female(and hasnt already done so): GET VACCINATED!
This is one of the few cancers that it preventable and avoiding the inconvenience isnt worth dying for.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 1:36 pm

Haliphron wrote:
If I were female I'd have already gotten vaccinated for HPV by now. Even though Im not, I think I should say to everyone here who is female(and hasnt already done so): GET VACCINATED!
This is one of the few cancers that it preventable and avoiding the inconvenience isnt worth dying for.

if it only was that easy...

round here only 10-11 year olds get this vaccine for free, the rest doesn't even get a refund and it's a bloody expensive jab!

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 4:27 pm

millie wrote:
Who is jade goody?

Just to give you an idea.....she's the one with the short hair doing most of the yelling on Big Brother.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhh6qNgkbhE[/youtube]

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Ever Since Jade Goody Died.....

....my life has been exactly the same as it was when she was alive. Strange that.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 9:08 pm

I guess I had a moment of epiphany or something.... :?