What causes popularity/unpopularity?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 5:20 pm

The popular people in school seem to have no one thing that unifies them except for the very fact that they are popular. What is that?!

They're not the nicest people. Nor the cleverest. Not even necessarily the prettiest, so that old theory is out the window. What makes people popular or unpopular? Is it something they're born with, or what?

:?

y es como un semestre"

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 5:33 pm

I think it's to do with how outgoing someone is. Also to be good at manupilating people and stuff like that. Maybe some people are just people magnets, I'm not too sure myself actually.
Also the most nastiest of populars are popular because their friends are too scared of going against them, so the unpopulars are more independant minded or maybe more brave/couragious than populars for going against the bitchy one.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 5:44 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
The popular people in school seem to have no one thing that unifies them except for the very fact that they are popular. What is that?!

They're not the nicest people. Nor the cleverest. Not even necessarily the prettiest, so that old theory is out the window. What makes people popular or unpopular? Is it something they're born with, or what?

They are not well liked. Just that everyone knows its in their interests to appear to like them, or more accurately, suck up to them. Really they are merely top of the social pecking order.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 8:59 am

In my experience, the "popular" people were the ones with physical beauty or who associated with those who did.

Many "football jocks" weren't that handsome, but they were on the varsity team, which automatically made them popular.

Perception seems to be everything. A beautiful face can hide an ugly personality. Makes you wish for the day when that person's boobs are sagging at the knees and nobody will give her the time of day.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 7:17 am

I think popularity has something to do with how manipulative you are and how much points you score in coolness, which is a constantly changing function prefering the unreachable.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 9:19 am

leadership is a mysterious concept for aspies :(

Space
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 6:10 pm

I'm in university. From what I can see, if you want to be popular, it is important to either play a lot of sports (and be good at them), and/or be physically beautiful. Also, don't be too intelligent. Getting high marks is ok, but if you talk intelligently or have deep conversations, you'll be very unpopular. Going to bars/campus parties every friday/saturday night, taking pictures for facebook all the time, and pretending to be friends with everyone all help a lot. Yeah you have to drink all the time too.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:14 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:

It never made sense to me either, and still doesn't. I went to multiple schools, 7 total between grades 1-12, and what made a student popular was never the same in any of them.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Jkid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 4:01 pm

How to be popular: Be in the cheerleading group, play football.

How not to be popular: Be concentrated on academics.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Apr 2009, 4:13 pm

Popularity has much of its foundation in social status. People who are more closely associated with high-status activities and characteristics will be accorded higher status. Other people who seek to acquire status can either associate with the same activities, or associate themselves with the popular people who are. Since everyone can't be on the varsity football team, it becomes helpful to know those who are. As a result, they acquire popularity.

If you have trouble understanding how popularity works in your environment, then it may be that you are having difficulty perceiving what leads to high status. It may also be that you don't particularly care about seeking high status as your group attributes it.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 12:08 pm

My overall experience of groups or communities is that nepotism is a very important factor. Greed and poor moral principles often lead to the most ruthless working together and kind of "inflating" each others popularity as well as giving each other status through brother-in-law politics. The most popular doesn't necessarily have to be the "alpha", but rather the most morally degenerate and ruthless or even more likely, the one who can balance the largest number of different interests at the same time, being diplomatic, ruthless and friendly at the same time.

It's rare with friendship built entirely on love and trust but it's also rare with friendship built entirely on ulterior motives. In most cases I think it's 50-50. Those businessmen who pats each others backs and drinks champagne in the sauna together really do like each other, on some level, but at the same time they use each other like tools. I think if you look at it this way it's easier to understand popularity.

My asperger makes it hard for me to balance different interests like that. I usually feel provoced in an environment where I'm expected to fake honesty in order to achieve the best collective gain. I'm either 100% loyal to death or openly hostile, this makes me come across as awkward and contributes to impopularity within the group.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 2:32 pm

dealing drugs is also a good way to get popular, apparently. You can be ugly as hell and will still have a girlfriend and people around you.

iMark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2009, 2:43 pm

any one of these will make you popular:

- attractive appearance (perfect hair, figure, makeup, ...)
- expressive talent (music, painting, poetry, ...)
- material wealth (car, clothes, jewelry, ...)
- charismatic personality (superficial niceness...)
- athletic skill (jocks)

any of these will make you unpopular:

- intelligence (you make others look stupid)
- diligence (you make others look lazy)
- integrity (you make others look untrustworthy)
- deference to authority (you make others look rebellious)
- honesty (you make others look dishonest)

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 11:06 pm

I think the more of a sheep you are, the more popular you are. From what I've seen, the more pop culture you're into, the more you drink, and the more you love base, polarized political paradigms, the more popular you are.
Yeah, there's other stuff that goes into it, but the more of these you take away, the less popular you become. Hmm.. THAT explains why most people didn't like me. :lol:

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2009, 11:54 pm

Cyanide wrote:
I think the more of a sheep you are, the more popular you are.

This is similar to my opinion.

I don't go to school that has this "popularity" system often seen in conventional high schools. There are people at my school that would be considered popular if they went to a regular high school, but at my school, the veterans of the school (most of the seniors, and some of the juniors) see them as ret*d, fake, sheepish, and as one who is "trying to hard".

"All things new are fought against, even thought their time has come. Stretch and reach to conscious mind. Seek defeat in those who fear."
- Henrik Ohlsson

Space
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2009, 1:30 am

iMark wrote:
any one of these will make you popular:

- attractive appearance (perfect hair, figure, makeup, ...)
- expressive talent (music, painting, poetry, ...)
- material wealth (car, clothes, jewelry, ...)
- charismatic personality (superficial niceness...)
- athletic skill (jocks)

any of these will make you unpopular:

- intelligence (you make others look stupid)
- diligence (you make others look lazy)
- integrity (you make others look untrustworthy)
- deference to authority (you make others look rebellious)
- honesty (you make others look dishonest)

Truth. Good summary.
Cyanide wrote:
I think the more of a sheep you are, the more popular you are. From what I've seen, the more pop culture you're into, the more you drink, and the more you love base, polarized political paradigms, the more popular you are.
Yeah, there's other stuff that goes into it, but the more of these you take away, the less popular you become. Hmm.. THAT explains why most people didn't like me. :lol:

Also truth.