Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2009, 8:24 pm

For anyone who has taken physics or chemistry and have AS, how do you study? What are your studying approaches?

Studying physical sciences requires much more than just reading over the textbook. I do my homework all the time. Doing the questions seems to help me, but then I have to redo all of them again before a test because it somehow just doesn't stick in my mind. And this only gets me decent grades, but not as high as all of my other grades. I also tried redrawing the diagrams, but that doesn't help either.

I believe that my biggest problem lies in being able to translate the abstract concepts of mathematics to practical uses. I've mastered mathematics as something separate, and more realistic things as another separate entity in my mind. But when I try to bring them together, it just doesn't work. I can do well in biology because there are no abstract concepts, but these two other sciences are giving me a hard time.

Any suggestions/personal experiences?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2009, 12:27 am

My advice is to do lots of worked examples of physics problems, use all the ones in the books. Use all the past papers you can find, when you run out of those problems then start to make up some of your own.

Such as consider how far a brick will fly if you throw it horizontally (at x meters per second) off the side of a 100 meter high tower and what energy it will have when it hits the floor. Also calculate how long it will take to hit the ground and everything else you can think of.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.