Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2009, 9:25 pm

Paxil for anxiety and depression.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 9:43 pm

Abilify and Lamictal for Shizoaffective Bipolar Type. Hi Firebird, (I know Firebird from another forum) Anyway, I'm interested if there is some connection too.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

toasterboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Apr 2009, 10:02 pm

Klonopin as needed for anxiety/panic attacks. Have taken just about every psychotropic on the market at some point in my life..

Somebody mentioned taking Abilify/aripiprazole for anxiety, when I took that med it made me really anxious with daily panic attacks. Is it really supposed to help anxiety?

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 10:14 pm

I wonder what the percentage is for people with autism to be diagnosed with either a psychotic disorder or bipolar.....on this site, it is definitely much higher than the general population. Are there studies determining this? If not, I might want to take place in a study. Me thinks the percentage is around 20%, compared to 1% of the general population. Its too high to be dismissed. I mean look at our small sample of people here, half of them take anti psychotics! It really should be somewhere in the DSM V about the connection between psychotic disorders and autism/ Aspergers. When it comes out in either 2011 or 2012.

Linasgirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2009, 10:32 pm

I had my brain fried with Thorazine and Haldol for a number of years. I hated it.

Now I am on SSRIs (Prosac) for OCD and depression, and Trazadone for depression and to help me to sleep through the night. Before trazadone, I would go to sleep and wake up 45-90 minutes later with my mind racing. I would not be able to go back to sleep.

Although I am not that happy about taking meds, I also recognize that I am much better with them than without them. For example, I no longer have 48-72 hour marathons in which I am listening to the same song without stopping.

Nena

carltcwc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2009, 10:33 pm

I take cymbalta and abilify and an occasional adderall. Autism with psychosis is called multiplex developmental disorder. It will be in the next dsm. There are not many studies on this however put there is supporting evidance the two are related. The university of Washington does research on autism and schizophrenia. if you intrested call 1-206-762-1010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-c ... l_Disorder

Raikai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2009, 6:37 am

toasterboy wrote:
Klonopin as needed for anxiety/panic attacks. Have taken just about every psychotropic on the market at some point in my life..

Somebody mentioned taking Abilify/aripiprazole for anxiety, when I took that med it made me really anxious with daily panic attacks. Is it really supposed to help anxiety?

It helps my anxiety, although I undertand high anxiety can be one of the side effects.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2009, 9:22 am

I've been on quite a few medications in the past.....but currently I'm only taking melatonin for sleep. I'm dx'ed autistic, ADHD, and Bipolar I (not totally sure the last two are accurate). I know I should be taking at least a mood stabilizer, but I can't bring myself to take another psych med. I've had too many bad experiences with meds.....my fiance doesn't want me to take medication, and my boss notices a decrease in my work performance when I'm medicated.....all I have to do is use the hypomania to my advantage and then schedule a two week vacation from work when I'm likely to experience a psychotic episode....I don't see a need to medicate all year when I only really have two weeks of severe psychotic symptoms in the late spring....the hypomania I don't mind so much.....I kinda like it actually....

I do have issues with anxiety, panic, meltdowns, depression, and I am extremely distractible and hyperactive (it can take me 90 minutes to make a photocopy at work).....however I think of those as just character flaws.....I don't see a need to medicate for that stuff.....yeah, they make it harder to function....but who said life was supposed to be easy??

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 2:46 pm

carltcwc wrote:
I take cymbalta and abilify and an occasional adderall. Autism with psychosis is called multiplex developmental disorder. It will be in the next dsm. There are not many studies on this however put there is supporting evidance the two are related. The university of Washington does research on autism and schizophrenia. if you intrested call 1-206-762-1010. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-c ... l_Disorder

Interesting. What's weird is that I live in Washington! Maybe they can study my case..but I have a million other things as well as I am the Walking DSM. How sad.

NTIDAS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2009, 6:25 pm

I've been prescribed both Elavil and Depakote. Both damaged my mind and body.

I've been effectively self-medicating with Sativa strains of cannabis. The side effects are minimal and even beneficial.

The anxiety relief, combined with sharpened focus and attention span is wonderful. I tend to forget things a bit more often but I usually remember it in seconds now instead of hours or days.

To be effective, cannabis needs to be used 24/7 just like any other medication. Look up the Rick Simpson story for a simple way to do that. I'm nearly at the point where I'll be able to make pills for myself.

I talked to a new doc the other day. Sharp guy with apparently a lot of experience with folks like myself. He stated that he really prefers not to prescribe anything for a patient if he can avoid it. He also stated that if the cannabis was working for me to definitely continue using it. Even went so far as to ask me what benefits I received from it and took notes. Seemed genuinely relieved to hear I already had a medical cannabis card, probably because he wouldn't be allowed to write me a recommendation. (Doctor in the system and all)

Nice to run into someone who understands reality, regardless of systematic indoctrination otherwise.

If you're using chemicals you're slowly poisoning yourself.

If medical cannabis is legal in your state, look into finding a strain that works best for you.
If medical cannabis is NOT legal in your state, I highly urge you to look into local groups that are pushing for it.

It may not be a cure but it sure beats the s**t out of any pill that can be cooked up. I'm still ME in my head when I use cannabis. I can't say that about anything else I've put in my body on the direction of a doctor's suggestion.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 9:23 pm

Someone told me today he knows this aspie kid that was put on antipsychotics for violent behavior, and it made his head crooked, so they implanted electrodes in this brain to straighten his neck!

I have akathesia myself, basically it mimics stimming like behaviors, one article I read claimed antipsychotics increases stimming, other stuff I read says decreases stimming, I'm confused.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 9:39 pm

1) Excedrin for headaches once in a while and it usually works except for the odd migraine.

2) Echinacea to fight off the beginning of a cold or flu or if I feel there's a good chance I was exposed big time to either. Strange thing is, I also seem to feel that echinacea works as a mild mood lifter in my case. Anyways, echinacea is a strong herb that can really ruin your liver after just several weeks of use so I do try to avoid taking it.

3) Tea ... love the caffeine! Will drink herbal too. As for coffee, can sometimes enjoy it especially if it's flavored, and the caffeine if I'm starting to get tired actually seems to make me more relaxed and a bit drowsy.

4) Chocolate. Mmmmmmmmm! :D

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

27 Apr 2009, 10:43 pm

FireBird wrote:
I mean look at our small sample of people here, half of them take anti psychotics! It really should be somewhere in the DSM V about the connection between psychotic disorders and autism/ Aspergers. When it comes out in either 2011 or 2012.

I have taken Risperdal & Zyprexa before because a psychiatrist thought that my thoughts were 'abnormal'. I was 14 at the time & the doctor never mentioned to me that they were antipsychotics or what they were for. She never diagnosed me with anything or mentioned psychosis even once. She just said..."Take these, it will help with your thoughts". Not sure if that this psychiatrist was just stupid or if doctors just have a habit of handing out antipsychotics to those with an ASD.
I have read that Risperdal is sometimes given to kids with an ASD, but I can't remember the reason.

EDIT: The only medication I'm taking now is for my IBS, Movicol.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 5:11 pm

I take Pristic as anti-depressive, Risperdal to calm down, and Stilnox to get to sleep.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 7:57 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
I have read that Risperdal is sometimes given to kids with an ASD, but I can't remember the reason.

Risperdal besides being a anti-pyschotic is given to kids with ASD to reduce their irritability. It helps to reduce aggression and avoid meltdowns or self-injury. That is why I take it.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 11:24 am

Yes, I'm on medication mostly for high blood pressure i.e diovan, and simvastatin- for high cholesterol and lastly, Lexapro for Depression- something I've been dealing with for 22yrs now therefore, I try my best to live my live in reasonble manner even if, I have some medical issues..