No 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Occasionally, I don't mind 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Occasionally but I don't like to 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 68

desmonami
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2009, 10:44 am

I like cooking and like experimenting with ingredients.

I cant usually eat honey on its own but mixed with onions it is yummy as i found out today! 8)

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2009, 11:20 am

Cooking is one of my "narrow specialized interests" (read obsessions).....

I love to cook. I don't follow or use recipes...I invent my own and experiment with different ingredients. I can make different types of pizza crusts...different types of home made pasta....I love to cook things like beef tenderloin and Chilean Sea Bass. I also love to cook seafood, and experiment with different grains like quinoa or Bulgar wheat, in place of stuff like rice. I cook a lot of fish (salmon is my favorite) and I can make a zillion and one pasta dishes....with or without meat or poultry. I also know a lot of ways to prepare veggies and I like to cook a lot of dark greens like spinach, chard and kale.....I try to cook with produce that is in season....

I also like to bake...I've perfected a pie crust recipe, and I've mastered brownies, and various types of cookies. I give tins of cookies and brownies as Christmas presents. I bake everything from scratch and I only use recipes for guidance on occasion....

Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 1:00 pm

Sublyme wrote:
I also like to bake...I've perfected a pie crust recipe, and I've mastered brownies, and various types of cookies. I give tins of cookies and brownies as Christmas presents. I bake everything from scratch and I only use recipes for guidance on occasion....

You should definitely check out Alain Ducasse's book : Grand Livre De Cuisine: Desserts and Pastries

The recipe's are incredibly complicated most of the time (consisting of as much as 5 elements and sometimes more), you definitely need some patisserie knowledge, but the pictures are very inspiring.
It's probably my favourite book ever.

Master_Shake
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2009, 1:49 pm

I haven't cooked anything very fancy for awhile, but when I was a little kid I used to cook up all kinds of strange concoctions. I had to have my own cooking tools, for example, I had my own wok so I could cook authentic asian stir-fry. I was really quite a little gourmet, I learned from watching "The Frugal Gourmet" on PBS. It's a shame that guy was kicked off the air for being interested in underage boys, he was a very inspiring chef.

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 3:46 pm

I like cooking, but making a meal with alot of different components or food for a lot of people is difficult for me because I'm crap at multitasking.

I love baking though. :D

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Apr 2009, 4:27 pm

Sublyme wrote:

I love to cook. I don't follow or use recipes...I invent my own and experiment with different ingredients. I can make different types of pizza crusts...different types of home made pasta....I love to cook things like beef tenderloin and Chilean Sea Bass. I also love to cook seafood, and experiment with different grains like quinoa or Bulgar wheat, in place of stuff like rice. I cook a lot of fish (salmon is my favorite) and I can make a zillion and one pasta dishes....with or without meat or poultry. I also know a lot of ways to prepare veggies and I like to cook a lot of dark greens like spinach, chard and kale.....I try to cook with produce that is in season....

Wow! Can you come to my house, and cook for me? :lol:

nothingunusual
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 4:40 pm

Sublyme wrote:

I make a damn good cake, but I'm pretty hopeless with brownies. They always get stuck to the pan and burnt around the edges. :(

And in the passing of momentary stillness.
We can see our chaos in motion.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Apr 2009, 4:50 pm

nothingunusual wrote:
Sublyme wrote:

I make a damn good cake, but I'm pretty hopeless with brownies. They always get stuck to the pan and burnt around the edges. :(

I am good with cakes, too. And cookies. Pie crusts still fail me, however.

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2009, 5:35 pm

i cant cook i dont know how to use a stove.
but i know how to use a microwave.
and im still young tho it might take time for me to learn.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 5:42 pm

I have nothing against cooking, but I haven't cooked for a long time because the kitchen at my place is always crowded, and extremely tiny. I feel squished and uncomfortable in there. Every time I go into the kitchen, one of my parents goes there too and starts making noise and walking close to me. Yes, even with my parents, I feel irritated when they walk around and talk to me and make noises. It's very distracting, and all my previous attempts at cooking have turned out to be crap. I need to be alone for a couple of hours in silence in order to learn something, and cooking is something I've never learned properly (yet!).

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 6:03 pm

Cooking yes, baking no! Well, except pies, but I don't think those count as real baking. Cooking is easier than I thought it would be because it's mostly common sense and you can do whatever you want. Baking is not like that. *A*;;;

I still need to learn a lot about cooking though. I'm still on simpler things.

Cooking for a long time makes me sooo sleepy though.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 4:24 pm

I seldom have trouble over the timing needed to prepare a hot meal, but today, I tried to do kitchen chores while also attending a Zoom meeting, just listening casually. I had two major mishaps. Usually, I listen to familiar music only, but even talk radio would probably spoil my broth.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 10:21 pm

Talk about a necrobump.

On the topic at hand, I make a mean burger.

#palestinianlivesmatter

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 10:28 pm

Yeah, I wish one of the more recent threads about burnt pots had shown up, but I figured I'd get more eyes this way than starting a new one.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2020, 7:56 pm

I love to cook and cooking is one of the skills I actually am good at. lmao