No 15%  15%  [ 10 ]
Occasionally, I don't mind 24%  24%  [ 16 ]
Occasionally but I don't like to 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 68

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2009, 3:05 pm

I hate cooking, and generally don't. I have never been able to get a knack for it like some people. It certainly doesn't come naturally or easy to me, and I don't really enjoy trying. Now I can follow a very simple recipe (like a cooking for dummies type thing haha!) like goulash or tacos or spaghetti with meat sauce or something like that.
I'm just curious how many people on here cook, maybe even enjoy it.

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2009, 3:13 pm

my wife and i both like to cook, we both like to experiment, but generally I like barbecuing and she likes experimenting with winter cooking, who knows maybe it worked out this way because I like to do alot on the barbecue in the summer.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:18 pm

I don't mind it, but I will have to learn more of it anyway once I get my own place.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:30 pm

I cook almost every day. I usually enjoy cooking. I tend to like it more though if I'm just cooking for myself, so I can experiment or make things just the way I want them, without having to take other people's preferences into consideration, but I also like it if I know that the others who will eat the food will like it.

What sometimes makes cooking a drag for me is when the kitchen is a mess before I even start (for example a bunch of dirty dishes and other mess from the day before), so I have to clean and do the dishes before I can start cooking and then I know I'll end up having to clean up afterwards too. I have a physical disability that causes me pain if I have to stand for very long, so I'm usually not feeling very good while I'm cooking if I've had to clean the kitchen first, which kind of takes the fun out of it.

But in general I like cooking.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:43 pm

I ticked "no". In my houshold its my husband who do it. I do the dishes. He strongly dislike to do the dishes and I strongly dislike to do the cooking so we never fight about who to do what :wink:
His food is delicious but the problem is that he use to make too much food each time, making it impossible for me to loose weight...
We constantly have that problem with adjusting us correct with food. Often we have missed a special kind of cooking book with "easy recipes for aspies with lack of sense for food", with CLEAR descriptions of both the food itself and how to make it.... :?

The years I lived by myself I always made my food as simple as possible to get rid of it fast. I eat to survive not for pleasure.

Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 4:53 pm

I used to be really big about cooking, especially when I was vegan, but right now I'm in a slump of some sorts and haven;t properly cooked for ages.
So now my mum cooks me dinner so I won't end up eating sweet peppers and tomato/eggplant sauce everyday.

Though baked goods and chocolates...I adore making (though I have to restrain myself as everyone in this household is on a diet and I always end up eating it all so it won't waste). I can daydream about that sort of thing endlessly. And bringing home a new ingredient is like bringing home a homeless kitten (mommm can I keep it pleaaaase? ).

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Apr 2009, 4:55 pm

xalepax wrote:
I ticked "no". In my houshold its my husband who do it. I do the dishes...

The years I lived by myself I always made my food as simple as possible to get rid of it fast. I eat to survive not for pleasure.

Ditto and ditto. I have zero interest in cooking and it has been that way for forty years, ever since my mom first tried to force me to learn (it didn't take). To me, food is a boring maintenance issue, necessary to survive but not the least bit interesting to spend time on. I never cook and never have... unless you count microwaving something :) Fortunately, my husband cooks. And there's always take-out.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 5:30 pm

I make food sometimes, but do not like it.

I rather pay someone to make food for me and because of that, i rather pay a bit more each month for food (when i have a job) and go to restourants every day.

At home i rarely cook - and i do not like to, cooking is just something i have to do at times. I am quite picky with food (and are very sensitive to smells and tastes too) and have little intrests in things that does not taste that well, i.e. i cannot make pancakes, but i can make sushi and some curries.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 5:48 pm

Yes I cook, I think I have a gift for it. I can get obsessive about it, to the point I will not/ can not eat anything I haven't cooked myself. I taught myself from cookbooks when in my early 20s, I have a photographic memory for most recipes, I just have to glance at them and then I experiment with them in my head.

There are times when I'm tired or have no appetite when I don't want to handle food, so I can certainly appreciate that some people hate to cook.

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 5:49 pm

I voted no because I can't cook. I mean, I can do a few simple things like, nuking (microwaving) things if there's clear instructions (sometimes when there isn't, but I don't like that, don't like "guesstimating" as I call it... can trigger meltdowns and/or headaches.), and boiling water, sometimes peal something for my mom.... but that's about it.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2009, 6:08 pm

For me, cooking was always a necessity. I tried to do it well. That used to mean practical. Now there's a strong element of creativity and experimentation. I use what we have in the house, or try to create an unusual dish, even though we don't have everything for it or one perfect recipe. It would be nice to be stoic and utilitarian about food -- cheaper on $, time and storage space, but that's not how it is for me.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Apr 2009, 8:06 pm

I used to love cooking. I came from a large family, and I always baked sweets for my younger sibs. But now I live alone, and have chronic health problems, so cooking can be a huge inconvenience. Mostly I now prepare things that are quick and easy, and nutritious. And I've learned to make things in the slow cooker, and freeze leftovers for other times.

Bluestocking
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2009, 8:22 pm

I adore cooking. I can't get much done in a dormitory setting, but I do get my chances to make a few recipes. My boyfriend's never learnt to cook, so I plan on teaching him some of the easier things, then advancing to the harder stuff.
I have to say, Greek, Italian, French, and Thai are my favourite regional cuisines, but growing up in Hawaii, I can't resist Pacific Rim food.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 10:26 pm

I have a hard time figuring out what to cook..My mind just oes blank... I have a hard time with certain dishes...the whole process can be very overwhelming to me. There are a few things I know how to do well...but beyond that, I am clueless. Cooking is another activity that my executive dysfunction makes difficult for me. I have made some disastrous mistakes in attempting to cook because i followed certain directions too literally and didn't use common sense.

I do make an award-winning vegetarian chili. I can make a really good omelette....Other times...it is just awful..

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:00 pm

I like cooking fast meals. Don't know how people can cook something over an hour.\
I'm pretty limited in my cooking knowledge. I like eating the same food over again.
My mum says it's so easy to learn how to cook 'just buy a cookbook and go to the supermarket' she says.
That's not as easy as it sounds. I have to first arrange a day to do this, get a lift into town, awkwardly walk through the supermarket and then organise a time to attempt making a meal.
But my organisation skills are so poor. I need to vacuum my bedroom and look for work but I still haven't.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 10:43 am

No, I can barely even use the oven! :P

SpongeBobRocksMao!