My confidence lever has just plummeted

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 7:03 pm

I've been feeling super confident lately. I've lost about 25 pounds, and I look fantastic. I've never ever thought I look fantastic. I bought a dress, several sizes too small, on purpose. The intent was to see the dress and work hard to get into it. I finally did, today.

anyway, my mom and stepdad came home, and my mom was amazed. My stepdad was downstairs and she wanted to show him it. He didn't hear what my mom was saying but mentioned that my brother is coming over to watch "the game". So, my mom tried again, and he came to the stairs, he was just getting a look, after my mom told him the size (12!) when the phone rang, and he walked out of site to answer a call from my brother. my mom told him to tell my brother to hang on, and he did, and i assumed he had hung up, but then a second later, when he comes back, he continues talking on the phone with my brother.

I feel like my confidence has gone way down. I just wanted a moment to show off, (I've never had anything to show off before, and I felt so great), and show my stepdad what all my hard work has led to. instead he was more interested in a stupid hockey game with my brother. He should have hung up. I wanted to show my brother later when he came over, not have him hear our entire conversation over the phone.

My stepdad does things like this all the time. I feel like he doesn't notice my accomplishments, or really care. :(

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 7:18 pm

First of all, CONGRATS on the weight loss!! ! That is a huge, and difficult, accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself!! It's really hard when you work at something that means a lot to you and the people around you don't seem to get the importance of it. Regardless, show off to your brother and enjoy the moment. Don't let your stepdad take that away from you. You worked hard. Good for you. :)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 7:29 pm

congrats.

but, don't depend on others to be happy. Eventually you'll end down that way.
Do it for YOURSELF, for no one else.

hester386
Toucan
Toucan

26 Apr 2009, 7:33 pm

I keep my confidence level low on purpose just so I never get disappointed.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 8:16 pm

Congrats on the weightloss!

Ignore their behaviour. They have a problem, not you. They don't appreciate you, their loss.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 8:19 pm

thanks you guys! i feel so much better. i'm even thinking of posting a pic again. I haven't for several years. :)

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 9:49 pm

Losing weight is so difficult, and you did it! That is fantastic!

Be proud of yourself! Sometimes other people just don't value the same things we do, and they just don't see it.

My mother has been overweight most of her life, and when she was in her early 30s, and my dad was away at sea, she worked really hard to lose weight, so she's look great when he came home. When he got home, he saw her and said, "Wow, you've lost weight! Another ten pounds and you'll look fantastic!" She told me this many year later, when I was an adult, and she said that's when she decided never to try to lose weight for another person. She had worked so hard to lose the weight that she did, and all he could see is that she still "needed" to lose more.

I need to lose 30 pounds as well, and it is so hard to even lose ONE pound! So, I think you are awesome for managing it. Congratulations!

androo4salez
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2009, 10:30 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I've been feeling super confident lately. I've lost about 25 pounds, and I look fantastic. I've never ever thought I look fantastic. I bought a dress, several sizes too small, on purpose. The intent was to see the dress and work hard to get into it. I finally did, today.

anyway, my mom and stepdad came home, and my mom was amazed. My stepdad was downstairs and she wanted to show him it. He didn't hear what my mom was saying but mentioned that my brother is coming over to watch "the game". So, my mom tried again, and he came to the stairs, he was just getting a look, after my mom told him the size (12!) when the phone rang, and he walked out of site to answer a call from my brother. my mom told him to tell my brother to hang on, and he did, and i assumed he had hung up, but then a second later, when he comes back, he continues talking on the phone with my brother.

I feel like my confidence has gone way down. I just wanted a moment to show off, (I've never had anything to show off before, and I felt so great), and show my stepdad what all my hard work has led to. instead he was more interested in a stupid hockey game with my brother. He should have hung up. I wanted to show my brother later when he came over, not have him hear our entire conversation over the phone.

My stepdad does things like this all the time. I feel like he doesn't notice my accomplishments, or really care. :(

Good job on the weightloss. Try not to feel so low about your step dad. Some people just can't appreciate weight loss like the one who's losing the weight. But that's alright! There is no need to depend on others for an accoplishment like that. Compliment yourself if you have to. You did great :)

"All things new are fought against, even thought their time has come. Stretch and reach to conscious mind. Seek defeat in those who fear."
- Henrik Ohlsson

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:15 pm

elderwanda wrote:

Be proud of yourself! Sometimes other people just don't value the same things we do, and they just don't see it.

My mother has been overweight most of her life, and when she was in her early 30s, and my dad was away at sea, she worked really hard to lose weight, so she's look great when he came home. When he got home, he saw her and said, "Wow, you've lost weight! Another ten pounds and you'll look fantastic!" She told me this many year later, when I was an adult, and she said that's when she decided never to try to lose weight for another person. She had worked so hard to lose the weight that she did, and all he could see is that she still "needed" to lose more.

I need to lose 30 pounds as well, and it is so hard to even lose ONE pound! So, I think you are awesome for managing it. Congratulations!
That reminds me so much of the story my mom tells me. In her early 20's she started losing weight. She got down to eating disorder proportions, eating just crackers and cheese. (very unhealthy) it was obviously for her dad. When he saw he after away he said "Just a little bit more" meaning she should lose more, when she was practically a skeleton already.

I've worked so darn hard. I do have a bit more, i'd like to lose. I don't want to be skinny, but I want to be healthy. I'm still overweight, but i'm happy with how I look, and I'm enjoying the exercise. :)

You guys have made me feel so much better.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2009, 11:25 pm

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm sure that you look awesome - and you've obviously worked hard for it too. Well done.

Men don't notice things like that and they rarely comment on it.

That's a problem with most men. I have that problem myself.

It shouldn't undermine your achievements at all. I'm sorry you feel sad about it. Your stepdad won't realise what he's doing and wouldn't have mean't to hurt you.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 11:41 am

Congrats on loosing all that weight! Don't worry about what other people think, you know and we know that's a hell of achievement :) You know guys miss stuff like that a lot :lol:

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 12:19 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
elderwanda wrote:

That reminds me so much of the story my mom tells me. In her early 20's she started losing weight. She got down to eating disorder proportions, eating just crackers and cheese. (very unhealthy) it was obviously for her dad. When he saw he after away he said "Just a little bit more" meaning she should lose more, when she was practically a skeleton already.

I've worked so darn hard. I do have a bit more, i'd like to lose. I don't want to be skinny, but I want to be healthy. I'm still overweight, but i'm happy with how I look, and I'm enjoying the exercise. :)

You guys have made me feel so much better.
25 pounds, thats quite an achievement :wtg: I am glad you are doing it for yourself and to be healthy, not for a fashion reason. It took myself a long time to go down from 150 to 130, and I have to work to keep it from creeping back up again. But I did it for health reasons too.
Good job at you weight loss! :D

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 12:24 pm

You are great no matter your weight. On the contrary, if you wear dress that is spacious, you will feel comfortable and will project that comfort to other people.

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2009, 6:41 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
thanks you guys! i feel so much better. i'm even thinking of posting a pic again. I haven't for several years. :)

Do post a pic, I would like to see one. :)

Dee_
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2009, 3:05 am

"Could you throw in some not's? I dont want people thinking I'm perfect!" - Abbot & Costello

Congrats on loosing weight... I seem to never be able to loose that last 10 pounds i have been trying... for over 4 years now...