Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mich
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2004, 6:51 pm

(NOTE: This was inspired by a topic about fantasy cliches.)

PLOTS

Having to do with romance, but not the mushy type.

Hardly ever anything in the plot that hasn't been done in movies from the five years before the movie was made.

CHARACTERS/CASTING

Lead female character either shallow or more intelligent than the males...or both.

Lead male character anything but wimpy (or is wimpy and tries to hide it by making too many jokes).

Famous comedian plays character just thrown in for laughs.

Common Hollywood casting decision: cast the big rich stars and leave the desperados out of the leads.

Character names all or mostly rather common.

SETTING

Taking place in a big city (or in an adaptation of a big city).

Advertisements for products placed in at least five spots in the movie in unoriginal places (i.e. in frames in lobbies of buildings).

OTHER

One-liners that aren't even funny (i.e. After Robby trips, he says to his girlfriend, "I'm glad you're here to grab me or I'd lose all my moolah in the gutter!")

Music popular in the six months before the movie started production is included in the film.

The movie is rated PG, but the plot is too dumb for anyone over 10 and too vulgar for anyone under 10.

Fart jokes and other crude humor occurs in more than two different places where it would be irrelevant.

If you have any others, please post them.

:!: Mich
:?:

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2004, 3:58 am

Adam Sandler gets the girl even though in real life Adam Sandler's character would have a restraining order pinned on him at the ninety-minute mark.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 10:51 am

Feste-Fenris wrote:
Adam Sandler gets the girl even though in real life Adam Sandler's character would have a restraining order pinned on him at the ninety-minute mark.

Hahahahahahahaha.

This isn't a specific cliche, but a trend: The rom-com ability to make you root for the characters to get together until it looks like they will; but by that time you just want the movie to actually turn out to be a slasher movie and have both the main characters hacked to pieces?

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2005, 6:38 pm

Jim Carry acts really weird. That's a cliche.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2005, 4:54 am

At least one male character gets kicked or hit in the 'nads and we're supposed to think it's funny.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Eric_C
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2006, 6:06 pm

Cool Idea for a post Mich.

Plot

Setting

I like city stuff and right to the point of the plot settings. Not too much stooling with jokes or it'll react the story line.

Actors

Humor
________

The Classic British Humor (Not so much so of the cheap copy American dry humor) The Jokes must relate no matter how small it is.

Slapstick (Not just slapping, crazy, insane, non-stop maddness)

Cleaver (Smart alacy remarks or insults is always good when It comes to diologe)

Music

I always like classic 60s psychodelic British rock music in love scenes, scenes that can relate towards the music or lyrics or as a quick little gag like on Bill Murrey on Groundhog's Day with Sonny & Cher playing on the alarm/radio.

Directing

Yes, It's possible to have more that one director. The Dark Crystal (not a comedy) had 2 directors.

The more creator driven, the better it will come out as the offical and original personallity of it's creator. :)