Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jamin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2009, 9:22 am

Chimchar wrote:
They are rude, loud, obnoxious

From my experience.....
sounds like an average neurotypical (not all, not being global here...)

Guess I am essentially an equal-opportunity-not-great-fan-of-wingless-bipeds.... :?

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:24 am

I have great sympathy by "working-class suburb kids" (who are probably the european version of american "ghetto kids").

Probably because of an "uncontrolled expriment" - I spent my elementary school in a working-class suburb, with my mother as teacher. And I was much more happy and "popular" than when I went to junior high, in a mostly midlle-class town

I suspect that the important factors were "childhood years" vs. "preteen years" (there are many posts at WP calling 11-14 y.o. the "bleak years" and similar) and "being the son of the teacher" vs. "being an unknow weird kid", not "working-class suburb" vs. "midlle-class city", but...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:26 am

I worked at a factory with a ghetto kid, 12 years ago. He was rude and obnoxious and he swore a lot. He was 21 and he had a 15 year old girlfriend that he knocked up. He also talked back at the authority figures at the plant and swore at them. One day he was wearing a shirt that read, "Only users loose drugs." The next day, he had some pot on him, and it feel out of his back jeans pocket. He even had the nerve to joke around with me, asking me if I wanted to get married to him on a Saturday. I couldn't stand him.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:31 am

Nephesh wrote:
Acacia wrote:
Nephesh wrote:
Depends on what you mean by "race" or by "culture". The term ghetto was originally used to describe the areas where the Christians permitted the Jewish people to live.
Of course. I think we all understand we are talking about modern, American "ghetto" culture, which has arisen out of largely African-American communities.

Sorry, I'm being excessively literal again. I'm interested in where words come from. The word "ghetto" as used today is somewhat "stolen" from its original context.

What would it take to transform today's ghetto system back into what it meant in earlier generations? The Jewish people have always been oppressed and downtrodden, and yet, locking us away in the ghetto was actually doing us a big favor.

Likewise, those who live in today's ghetto view themselves as oppressed and downtrodden. So, how can they use the ghetto system to transform themselves into studious people that become doctors, scientists, lawyers, etc? What do they need to change in order to do with the ghetto what the Jewish community did?

Remember that the ghetto jews lived in a society where the high status professions were "warrior" and "landowner". Because these jobs are closed to jews, they had to go to the low-status professions of the time (doctors, scientists, etc.).

Today, the roles are reversed - these kind of jobs are the high-satus jobs, and the opressed and downtrodden have to become "warriors" (in the Army or in the local gang).

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:32 am

I mostly dislike middleclass, smalltown kids of any ethnicity trying to imitate 50 cent.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:38 am

It is also funny to see people in these forum criticizing ghetto kids for being disrespectful of adults and authority figures.

After all, these traits usually are considered a "strong point" when talking about aspies.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 10:13 am

It wasn't just the Jews who kept human values intact in ghettos. A lot of cities in North America had "Chinatowns" which were pretty much the same thing. Look where the Chinese are in North America today.

The most obvious difference is that in those ghettos, Jewish and Chinese kids grew up with fathers.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 10:16 am

TPE2 wrote:
It is also funny to see people in these forum criticizing ghetto kids for being disrespectful of adults and authority figures.

After all, these traits usually are considered a "strong point" when talking about aspies.

i did not know that
i am ODD and i am seriously frazzled by attempted authoritarian control.
it is not my AS but my ODD that makes me resist force.

but with these kids, it is simply ill considered disrespect.
it is like the owner of a food shop in a white community spitting on any white person that comes in and tries to make an order. it is utter stupidity.

i resist "cock sure" people that try to forcibly steer me, but i am reasonable.

i think purely AS people are not of the stereotype that you imagine.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 10:17 am

Where I am from we call them Mall Rats and Emo Kids.
Mall Rats are the teenagers that cause trouble, they travel in packs. I have seen them be chased by the cops. A friend of mine works at the mall and he says that the issue is gradualy getting worse, I was shopping there not long ago and I now see cops standing around keeping a look out.

Emo Kids are harmless, but they are annoying, it's like they are all trying to be like there favorite character from a Japanese RPG, who are most of the time.. emo.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 10:35 am

Acacia wrote:
Chimchar wrote:
I just hate those "ghetto" kids the most.

I think this is probably what you're after here. Culture, not race.
"Ghetto" culture is something that any race can ascribe to.
I work in schools, and indeed, there are white kids who act this way too.
Of course, statistically, there are more black people who identify with this culture, but it cannot be said that skin color determines behavior.

Aside: this post probably needs to be moved to Random Discussion, as it has nothing to do with autism.

QFT, and agreed.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 10:41 am

I actually do. It's not a 'race' thing. It's an 'acting like an idiot' thing. They dress so stupid, are very loud and obnoxious (especially with music), talk like they are extremely unintelligent (although they may not be) and try as hard as they can to look tough like a 'gangster'.. but then they get pissed when people eye them warily as they walk by. HELLO if you dress and act like you're up to no good, people are going to assume you are! That's just common sense.

:roll:

It's not even just 'ghetto' kids. I dislike anyone who purposely goes out of their way to act like an idiot or immerse themselves in a particular culture like a sheeple. Ghetto culture does get on my nerves especially much for some reason, though. I think it has to do with the speech. And don't even get me started on 'grills' :evil:

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 11:07 am

I gotta agree, its not race, its mindset. and if you call them on it, your a "racist" despite the fact they are the ones spouting race based slurs at me. At least at work I can do something about it. Kid comes in, asks for water but points to soda, I hand him water, he flips me the bird, I simply say "That will be $5.00" We normally don't charge for water but I followed it to the letter for that punk. If you ask me, its those kids who need to have a beat down.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 11:15 am

CanyonWind wrote:
It wasn't just the Jews who kept human values intact in ghettos. A lot of cities in North America had "Chinatowns" which were pretty much the same thing. Look where the Chinese are in North America today.

The most obvious difference is that in those ghettos, Jewish and Chinese kids grew up with fathers.

North African immigrants and Gipsies grew with fathers (two communities with strong "family values") and are probably some of the more violent "ghetto cultures" of Europe.

cognito
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 11:17 am

and the music, they think everyone in a 5 block radius wants to hear their crappy music at 2 am! they drive around, blasting it 24/7, so loud their cars rattle!

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 1:45 pm

Ok, im 13, and terrible at understandin things like this. My age makes my ability to understand even lower. Anyway, i sometimes act in the way you all state you hate, i dress in the way you claim you hate, (i even wear my school trousers low). But its not because the music i listen to. Its not the games i play. you all just assume that kids think "WOW! thats guy started a gang and blew that mans head off! i wanna do it too"? If thats whats goin through your mind, sort it out. I occassionly shoplift, doesnt mean im in the whole lifestyle. Think we imitate 50 cent? Maybe the clothes, maybe the way he speaks. I grew up with music like that, its what i understand. Thats why i speak like that. If i dress like him, its because i tried it one day and found it comfy. I can be rude and loud, its mostly towards other children i ahte, or adults you spoke like that to me first. Most of the kids who are rude to you lot, you may be starin, givin them dirty looks without even realising. They dont drive with the music loud JUST to irritate people, its how we listen to it. Too quiet, and its just awful. I dont know whats up with guns, but thats probably in America. (no racism intended, i heard tahts a voilent country. if im wrong, correct me). If we're talkin in a way YOU hate, dressin in a way YOU hate, speakin in a way YOU hate, actin and havin fun in a way YOU hate, or YOU'RE not used to, they're not gonna change because you dont like it. They come up like that, they stay like that. I know, i walk around with my hood up and get dirty looks. Same with my bandana. If i put that over my face, i get evils for it. Wearin my trousers low, evils. Screw it ill make a list.

THINGS I GET EVILS FOR:

How i dress
How i walk
How i talk
How i act
How i sit down (awkward situation in Mac-D's)

THINGS I GET GOOD LOOKS/IGNORED FOR

People assume things on me because i dress, talk, walk and act in a way people like you hate. Its annoyin, and its gettin on my nerves. You wonder why they get loud and angry, its because you're hatin them for somethin you dont even know is true. Yeah they may dress like 50 cent, how do you know he hasnt got top marks at school? So he may act like an a**hole,how do you he doesnt go home and build the computer before he plays on it? Start thinkin before assumin on us.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 1:58 pm

Lonermutant wrote:
I mostly dislike middleclass, smalltown kids of any ethnicity trying to imitate 50 cent.

QFT

I have no problem with people that were born in a ghetto and grew up there. I mean that is hard for anyone to deal with. But I absolutely hate these rich kids trying to act like they are from the ghetto. It's really only the white ones I hate. :evil:

If only they could see how ridiculous they look.