What specialization is required for giving an AS diagnosis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you say?
Greentea for President! 41%  41%  [ 7 ]
Greentea for Resident! (of mental ward) 59%  59%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 17

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:51 pm

Whilst it is a neurological condition, most of the readily apparent symptoms are behavioural in origin, hence; clinical psychologists and psychiatrists are the ones who diagnose it in most cases. They seem to get it right in most cases, and with good reason, as it's really evident if you know what you're looking for. This is for adults.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:58 pm

Psychiatrists can go either way. They work with neurology and neurochemistry. Not sure what schizophrenia really is, could be just as neurological as AS but is treated with neuroleptics nonetheless. Psychiatrists treat schizophrenics.
Face it, these are the dark ages of neuroscience. Science barely has a handle on what this is, what causes it. They sorta know it's genetic but haven't figured out where, exactly, on the genome it lingers. So, uh, I dunno. Neuropsychiatrist specializing in ASDs sounds good.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 29 Apr 2009, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 5:17 am

Sorry, when I said Neurologists I meant Neuro-Psychiatrists, of course (i.e. Neurologists that specialize in the brain).

Personally, if I want to detect a certain planet that I think exists, and Astronomers haven't yet been able to detect it, that won't make me turn to an Astrologer for confirmation of its existence instead. Best analogy I can give you.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 6:21 am

Ah, but Astronomers don't actually need to observe something directly to know it's there. They can see the effects it has on the local space.

There's an analogy.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 12:30 pm

millie, my mother died when it was my turn to post new questions, so it took me a bit longer to post them. They're there in the interview thread if you want to answer them.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 1:33 pm

way off topic:

oh are they? oh i am so sorry, greentea. I will revive your brilliant interviewing.
it was fun.