Rescued a baby squirrel. Now what?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 8:38 pm

I hope someone knows about squirrels. I know the right thing to do is usually let nature take its course, but I looked out my window and saw this teeny little squirrel toddling through the grass, looking very unstable and lost. He kept stopping and resting, looking exhausted. When I looked back again, he was right on the sidewalk in front of my house. I couldn't just leave him there to die of exposure and whatnot, right outside my kitchen window.

I called the animal shelter, but it's after hours. So, I put on some gardening gloves, and scooped him up in a towel, and put him in a little box. He's curled up in the little homemade "nest", sleeping, outside. (I can tell he's not dead, because he's breathing.)

He's old enough to have fur, and open eyes. In fact, he's bigger than a hamster, and maybe the size of a guinea pig, although I haven't seen one of those in a while. Curled up in a ball, he's about the size of a medium orange.

I dipped a washcloth into some milk to see if he was interested, but he's just sleeping.

I'm not sure what to do, but I'd like to at least be able to take care of him through the night until the animal shelter opens. Then again, he's a wild animal, so perhaps they don't do anything there. Why did he have to end up right outside my house like that?

Anyone?

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:00 pm

Uuh.. I have no idea. *A*; I know my dad had a squirrel that he raised from when it was young, so it can't be TOO hard.

Here, I googled "baby squirrels eat" and found this: http://www.squirrelstore.com/site/744999/page/379167 It says if his eyes are open and he has fur, he's ready to eat solid food. It has a lot of suggestions for food down near the bottom. Stuff you probably have in your house, some of it. :3

Also maybe you should bring him inside if it's chilly cuz I would think he'd probably be curled up with his squirrelmates for warmth in a normal squirrel situation.

Good luck with him! >3<

And take some pics if you can! X3 :heart:

Edit: ooh, make sure he always has water he can get to, too.

Learning2Survive
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:25 pm

leave him alone - he could be sick with something like rabies

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2009, 9:28 pm

Learning2Survive wrote:
leave him alone - he could be sick with something like rabies
That's what rabies shots are for. ;D

BadMachine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2009, 3:18 am

If it's not been weened yet it will die of thirst/dehydration.

Milk from your fridge will not have the same make up as its mothers colostrum and therefore even it cosumes it (try a pipette) it will probably die if the squirrel isn't old enough.

Try feeding him on peanuts (not salted), contrary to popular thought they have been known to catch and eat meat, therefore you could try dog food.

With regard to the latter, if that works beware, you may introduce a new strain of 100% carniverous squirrels. In Russia they have been known to hunt down and eat dogs.

On the other hand you could kill it and eat him, they are considered a bit of a delicacy in someparts.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 1:07 pm

Red Squirrels are endangered, so do your best :lol:

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 2:04 pm

Its best to see if the mother is looking for its baby, squirrels will get quite angry
if thier offspring are touched. Its just that time of year, we get the odd baby
squirrel lost here and the mother finds them when they start crying. If its not
rescued by tonight, call animal protection in your area, they will know what to do.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2009, 2:40 pm

Quote:
Rescued a baby squirrel. Now what?

now post pictures of the cute little baby squirrel on wp! :P