Village (less than 20,000 people) 10%  10%  [ 11 ]
Rural Area 23%  23%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 105

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:40 pm

felinesaresuperior wrote:
The smaller the better! a village, because I need to buy groceries, otherwise it'd be rural. I want a hospital nearby in case something should happen, a dentist office, that kind of thing.
Where I live, there are no businesses in 20 miles. Mainly just farms and ranches. And one church.

Our grocery store (20 miles from my community) has been closed for more than a month. It should reopen in two or three weeks after an extensive renovation. Fortunately, there is another about that distance in another direction. The nearest hospital is twenty miles away but that doesn't normally cause much problems. The local dentist is only in town once or twice a month, but the dental technician who cleans teeth is here one day a week.

Quote:
I love nature, love seeing occasional turtles and hedgehoges. I saw two jackels in the park last week. I want to see them from my window, not in the park. want to wake up to birds songs and leaves rustling as a turtle walks on them.

One thing I would like is a turtle pond just for the turtles. What we do have, though, is turtles/tortoises that don't live in the water. You don't see them very often.

We have a pond by the house (about 600 feet away) and a creek that runs south of the house (about 200 feet away) but both are dry most of the year. When I was a kid, they always had water that was runoff from irrigating local fields. Now days people use sprinkler systems instead of flood irrigation and the runoff is minimal.

When I was a kid, I played by the pond very often. Ducks and geese in the fall. Turtles. We could fish for catfish in the pond. Skunks (I like skunks -- if it weren't for the danger of rabies, I'd love to catch one for a pet). One day just sitting by it doing nothing, I watched a wild ferret for a minute or two until it saw me and ran off. I've also seen foxes, too, on occasion. Now that it is dry, it isn't near as fun.

By the way, this afternoon I was over at someone's house for a half hour doing some work when the owner mentioned that he keeps the gate closed to keep the cattle and the deer out of the yard. The deer! I had never seen a deer get that closed to a house. When I was leaving, there was a young deer by the front gate! I guess they must have thrown some feed out for him when he was younger and he decided to hang around. He wasn't a pet, he just didn't have any fear at all of humans. I reached over and pet him on his head while I closed the gate.

Quote:
Dont want city noise, horns honking, people screaming, stamping their feet, blasting music. I hate crowds. I want empty spaces and the wonderful feeling of being alone in the world. It's magical and soothing.

What was amazing to me was the days immediately after 9/11. With the prohibition on all but military aircraft over the U.S., the skies were empty and had none of the usual jet trails across it. While I normally don't even notice air traffic (except when the Air Force regularly flew B-52s 300 feet above the ground in their training exercises), the difference for those few days was quite noticeable.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 6:40 am

Regular sized town of about 50,000 people would be nice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 7:32 am

i've gotten used to no amenities living in a tiny wide spot in the road 40 minutes from the county seat. no museums or anything arty, a greasy spoon and a tavern that sells killer fried chicken and jojos [killer amount of salt as well :| ] and a dominos and a westside pizza, and a wally world. for those who sniff disdainfully at the wal marché, there is a safeway also, where the rich folk shop. it is relatively quiet out here when the yahoos are asleep, just nature sounds and the wind rustling through the tall trees.

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2021, 10:40 pm

The place I've most enjoyed living was a city of about 100,000 people. It was big enough to have a few restaurants, jobs, etc., but wasn't so big you had the big city nightmare traffic and so on. Funny though is that I didn't think I liked it when I lived there (this was about 20 years ago, and I've moved between several different cities since then), but looking back and compared to everything else I've lived in, I would move back if I could.

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 11:01 pm

the largest city i could handle living in, was tacoma WA. about a half-mil counting all the 'burbs. it was manageably large, unlike seattle which is just a meandering endless mess.

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2021, 1:57 am

I chose regular city.
I live in a suburbian area.
Why do we call it "regular city"?
Is the capital of my country a "regular city"?