Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 10:57 am

I do not wish to be saved from my AS. There's nothing for the quacks to save me from. I don't wish to be treated, and I find the words, cure and recovery very insulting. There is one thing that I have recovered from, and that's the ignorance and stupidity of the majority of the people who make up society. I'm not sick, I do not have a disease and I am not broken. I'm also glad that I was born 35 years ago, now that Autism Speaks wants to come up with a test that screens for unborn autistics. I feel that I'm one of the lucky ones, and that future auties and aspies will be murdered by their mothers, due to the type of test that I've mentioned. I'm independent, I work and I have friends. I also have the privilege of enjoying the beauty of life. My parents also didn't put me through ABA. They knew that I would have been bored out of my mind, and they didn't have much money. I'm thankful that I was allowed to just be a kid and not go through hours of therapy, after spending five hours in school, each day. I respect that everybody's different, and we all have different opinions about this hot topic, but this is where I stand.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 11:12 am

By and large, we agree.

DEFINITELY agree that the life of unborn auties and aspies should always be protected.

Am very glad noone labeled me as a kid, just thought of me as verging on bright. Fortunately my parents didn't allow me to skip a grade ahead in school, where I likely only would have been teased worse around even taller kids.

As far as a cure, I would appreciate it if there were some sort of voluntary training seminars on things like "How to Maintain a Conversation under Various Social Circumstances" complete with real world examples and phrasebooks and "How to Interpret and Project Body Language for More Effective Communication with those Strange Life Forms known as Other People."

As for medication, I tend to stick with Excedrin for headaches, Echinacea (very sparingly!) to keep oncoming colds and flu at bay, tea, and my favorite ... chocolate. :)

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 May 2009, 11:31 am

i dont want ot be cured either! if they do find a cure would they try forcing it on everyone? would people be denied services because a cure was available for instance even if they didnt want the cure?

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2009, 2:06 pm

I agree.

I find things very difficult sometimes I need a little more help because I'm slower mentally than others, but that's me.
It makes me feel special in some ways.

We are not ill or abnormal, we are just different.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2009, 2:44 pm

I'd rather be treated like a human instead of the guest of honor for some pity party. Thankfully my family and friends realize that too.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 2:51 pm

In the ideal world maybe we might have the option of being able to turn on and off some aspects of AS at will. That to me would be a true cure, the ability to keep the good parts of AS while dropping those parts which trouble us.

Sadly such a true cure is unlikely to ever be possible, I think that the "cure" which we might end up with is one which could make our lot in life worse. I think that we can do without the inperfect cure which others might want to force on us.

The way some of the NTs judge a cure is not good, for insatnce they might think that by making a non vocal person speak that they have cured them, but what if the "cure" made the non vocal person get TS type verbal tics. They might have spent years uttering very few words and getting used to life without talking but to suddenly get the verbal tics would be likely to give them a whole new set of things to worry about in life.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 2:32 am

Of course it would; a cure implies it makes our lives better. Being "normal" would not make our lives better in any way.

I wish you guys could see all the potential you have; hey, I didn't believe it with myself back in the day, but everyone always told me I was capable of so much more...now I now what they meant.

Iblis
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2009, 12:05 am

Neither would I, cuz it would require lobotomy. It's biological disorder. Not some psychological kink.

I also would suddenly be capable to function "normally" as an average person. I'd adopt the typical mentality and lifestyle. No thanx.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 1:46 am

When thinking of a cure I'm always rather reminded of X-Men: The Last Stand.

I couldn't really imagine myself as "cured". I think the positive parts are intertwined with the negatives. You can't have one without the other. That's not to say you cannot improve.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:10 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I do not wish to be saved from my AS. There's nothing for the quacks to save me from. I don't wish to be treated, and I find the words, cure and recovery very insulting. There is one thing that I have recovered from, and that's the ignorance and stupidity of the majority of the people who make up society. I'm not sick, I do not have a disease and I am not broken. I'm also glad that I was born 35 years ago, now that Autism Speaks wants to come up with a test that screens for unborn autistics. I feel that I'm one of the lucky ones, and that future auties and aspies will be murdered by their mothers, due to the type of test that I've mentioned. I'm independent, I work and I have friends. I also have the privilege of enjoying the beauty of life. My parents also didn't put me through ABA. They knew that I would have been bored out of my mind, and they didn't have much money. I'm thankful that I was allowed to just be a kid and not go through hours of therapy, after spending five hours in school, each day. I respect that everybody's different, and we all have different opinions about this hot topic, but this is where I stand.

Properly adapted to the NT world, AS is a gift, not a problem. AS has made me healthy, wealthy and wise. I attribute my success in the world of software and computers and applied mathematics to being as Aspie.

ruveyn

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:33 am

I'm confused, what's there to be saved from in regards to AS? I mean, depression leading to suicide can be there without AS (I doubt the rate of suicide in those with AS is that much higher than the normal population). Status epilepticus tends to be in Autistic Disorder compared to AS, and even then that's rare.

I can see how it'd be good to be saved from Rett's if you're male, considering males with such are rarely carried to full term, and they die shortly after they are born.

Perhaps I misunderstand the thread title.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:40 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Relax - if they come up with a genetic test it will backfire upon them. The consequences of them coming up with a genetic test would mean we get an opportunity to show just who is on the spectrum (including senior politicians). Personally I feel that the day a genetic test (or probably before, because they will have to understand the condition properly) is the day when we will get acceptance. We can then move to demand a freedom from an awful lot of negative aspects of society which are imposed upon us. It means we can lead our lives by own our rules, rather than everyone elses.

Of course, if the above is completely wrong, remember that all these abortions will require someone to perform them :)

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:44 am

Danielismyname wrote:
I'm confused, what's there to be saved from in regards to AS? I mean, depression leading to suicide can be there without AS (I doubt the rate of suicide in those with AS is that much higher than the normal population). Status epilepticus tends to be in Autistic Disorder compared to AS, and even then that's rare.

I can see how it'd be good to be saved from Rett's if you're male, considering males with such are rarely carried to full term, and they die shortly after they are born.

Perhaps I misunderstand the thread title.

Is Retts really relevant to us on the spectrum though? Club foot is probably more important w.r.t. this discussion.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:55 am

Rett's is a PDD, along with Autism and AS.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 9:57 am

i prefer to be spent than saved.

i can sleep when i am spent.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 10:01 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Rett's is a PDD, along with Autism and AS.

The thing with Rett's is that its a lot harder to make the do not abort argument. We could make a closer comparison with club foot - in fact its a strong argument we can make which will resonate with a lot more people.

Edit: I probably should add from wiki:

Symptoms of Rett syndrome that are similar to autism:

* screaming fits
* panic attack
* inconsolable crying
* avoidance of eye contact
* lack of social/emotional reciprocity
* general lack of interest
* markedly impaired use of nonverbal behaviors to regulate social interaction
* loss of speech
* Balance and coordination problems, including losing the ability to walk in many cases

Symptoms of Rett syndrome that are also present in cerebral palsy (regression of the type seen in Rett syndrome would be unusual in cerebral palsy; this confusion should rarely be made):

* possible short stature, and/or might be unusually proportioned because of difficulty walking or malnutrition due to difficulty swallowing.
* hypotonia
* delayed or absent ability to walk
* gait/movement difficulties
* ataxia
* microcephaly in some - abnormally small head, poor head growth
* some forms of spasticity
* chorea - spasmodic movements of hand or facial muscles
* dystonia
* bruxism - grinding of teeth