Are aspies arrogant about their own sector?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

shantonu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2009, 12:08 pm

I know the main characteristic of AS is the difficulty in social conversation, but when it is about my favorit topic then I am the boss.

My favorit topic is science. So when I talk about science with anyone then I feel that they know very little than me. The problem is that I then behave like a very arrogant person (ofcourse unwillingly)...By the way, I am actually pretty shy, peaceful and very introvert.

Is this a general aspie trend or that it is just my failure to express my feelings more moderately?

deadeyexx
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 12:39 pm

I think it is. There's many threads discussing this already, and as for me, I definately get carried away when the conversation turns to something I know a lot about.

It's the only kind of conversation I'm good at. I keep silent the majority of the time unless I have something relevant to say. Guess when you sandbag your thoughts for so long, they all feel like they have to come out once you get an audience.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2009, 7:26 pm

I've been told that. People complain that I "always have to be right" on the things I know about. I guess we get so excited to have something to talk about that we just overdo it.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 2:41 am

I can be like this. I tend to get a little too excited when someone brings up one of my 'special interests'. It's freaked people out before.

... okay, it has a lot. :mrgreen:

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 5:43 am

If it is your special interest then you will go overboard with it. You don't mean to be arrogant, you just have no control with it.
I mean if I find NT's that share my special interest I will act the same way.

Kangoogle
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 6:22 am

The real result you should note from this is that if we get an authority position, we are sorted socially for life more or less. The sad thing is that most of us are not given this opportunity, to the detriment of all.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 8:05 am

PhoenixWolf wrote:
I've been told that. People complain that I "always have to be right" on the things I know about. I guess we get so excited to have something to talk about that we just overdo it.

I had this, and I also have been accused of being a know-it-all. The fact is I can't can only be two things, quiet, or professorial, not much inbetween. If it is a topic of interest I generally will know alot more than the average person. Thankfully, I have made careers out of my interests.

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2009, 10:13 am

shantonu wrote:
I know the main characteristic of AS is the difficulty in social conversation, but when it is about my favorit topic then I am the boss.

My favorit topic is science. So when I talk about science with anyone then I feel that they know very little than me. The problem is that I then behave like a very arrogant person (ofcourse unwillingly)...By the way, I am actually pretty shy, peaceful and very introvert.

Is this a general aspie trend or that it is just my failure to express my feelings more moderately?

I generally do not speak to people except when I am A) asking them questions (time, place, specific details), or B) when I am trying to persuade them to see my political positioning.

I am arrogant, yes.

But I have cause for being arrogant, since I am glorious leader.

But I do not generally show my arrogance as arrogance, even though people interpret my stiffness and lack of interest in the details of their lives as arrogance. My arrogance is centered around my conviction that I one day will be glorious leader. Like Stalin.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 6:17 pm

Some things, I'll freely admit I'm arrogant on. I'm a good tech, and proud of it. The Aspie tendency to remember countless little details helps dramatically, as there are many little things that cannot be learned from any book (for the record, the A+ Certification test is mostly worthless bullcrap that you'll NEVER use). Other things, people misread me as arrogant due to my enthusiasm or way of expressing things.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 6:27 am

YES!

NTs spend so much time talking about stuff that bores me, so when they start talking about something interesting, naturally I want to join in. But my mum gets annoyed when I talk about swine flu (new interest: pandemics), even if she or my brother started the conversation, but when I join in she says I'm going on about it, even though I didn't start it. :?

y es como un semestre"

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 6:55 am

I think it is pretty normal for us to go into a sort of monologue if we are talking about one of our "special interests."

(I don't like that term, special interest. It sounds like a euphemism, or a political lobbying group.)

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2009, 7:53 am

for me talking about science is like opning the flood gate I just can't stop.

jefe
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 May 2009, 2:36 pm

Yes, when a topic comes up that I believe I am a master of I can't wait to commandeer the conversation. Once that happens no one is right but me. Later I realize how much of an idiot I was and tell myself to not do it again..but it usually happens anyways.

ASPowerations

08 May 2009, 12:46 am

shantonu wrote:

Yeah, I do that, too.

Dentu
Raven
Raven

09 May 2009, 12:07 am

I recently had a friend call me an "ego train". Now he jokingly calls me that any time I tell someone they're wrong. I can't say he's wrong (except out of principle :wink:), but I take it in stride. So I'm an arrogant jaggoff if I think I'm right. I wouldn't think I'm right if I didn't study it intensely.