interesting article, what do you say?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 11:46 am

LePetitPrince wrote:
http://www.fact.on.ca/newpaper/np990602.htm

interesting article, what do you say?

Aggression is Not unique to men, in fact its not even more common in men. The difference is that men are more physical about their aggression. Men use physical violence, women use emotional violence.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 11:54 am

Haliphron wrote:
Men use physical violence, women use emotional violence.

Women use physical violence too. One of my NT friends were physically beaten up by his alcoholic emotionally unstable girlfriend. I would hardly call that purely emotional violence.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 12:10 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Haliphron wrote:
Men use physical violence, women use emotional violence.

Women use physical violence too. One of my NT friends were physically beaten up by his alcoholic emotionally unstable girlfriend. I would hardly call that purely emotional violence.

Consider THIS: 90% of homicides are perpetrated by Men. Anecdotal cases like that are MUCH RARER than cases where Men beat up their wives and girlfriends.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 12:52 pm

Testosterone......

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 1:11 pm

^ elaborate. Besides, the article is not talking about physical agression.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 1:19 pm

Why do you want me to elaborate.... :?

Do I have to or is this a choice?

Crap I hate pop quizzes!! :hmph:

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 1:22 pm

I think it's essential to recognize that there's a huge amount of variety in nature. Some animals eat giraffes, some animals eat algae. Their approaches to finding food are not the same.

The same applies to reproduction and care of the young. Just yesterday I ran across the wikipedia article on clownfish:

Quote:
Clownfish live in small groups inhabiting a single anemone. The group consist of a breeding pair, which cohabit with a few non-reproductive, "pre-pubescent", and smaller male clownfish. When the female dies, the dominant male changes sex and becomes the female.[2] This life history strategy is known as sequential hermaphroditism. Because clownfish are all born as males, they are protandrous hermaphrodites (pro=first; androus=male).

I thought this was really cool because it was so weird, but I doubt if there's much to learn from clownfish about understanding human behavior.

Gender in nature is a really interesting topic, but you need to be very careful about drawing conclusions.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 1:51 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Testosterone......

Testosterone very well may increase physical aggression and competitive behavior in men the way it does in other mammals but that doesnt explain female aggression.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 1:57 pm

Females also have testosterone just in lower levels there's other hormones also at work and not every woman or man has the same amount regarding gender only that generally males have higher levels of it than women and lower levels of estrogen just as it is the reverse for women.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 2:25 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Females also have testosterone just in lower levels there's other hormones also at work and not every woman or man has the same amount regarding gender only that generally males have higher levels of it than women and lower levels of estrogen just as it is the reverse for women.

Yes Im aware of that. :D There is MUCH to be learned about how hormones influence human behavior, because it isnt nearly as well understand as most people think. Aggression in humans and most mammals is linked to high levels of dopamine. When lab rats are given amphetamines, regardless of their sex, they become extremely aggressive and start to attack the other rats in their cage.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 3:08 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Consider THIS: 90% of homicides are perpetrated by Men. Anecdotal cases like that are MUCH RARER than cases where Men beat up their wives and girlfriends.

Consider this: What exactly was the point of your post?

To say that because most REPORTED acts of violence are perpetrated by men we should shut up and "just take it" because women are perfect little angels?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2009, 3:45 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Haliphron wrote:

Consider this: What exactly was the point of your post?

To say that because most REPORTED acts of violence are perpetrated by men we should shut up and "just take it" because women are perfect little angels?

My point is that men exhibit a vastly greater tendency to physical aggression than women do! Ive heard plenty of hot air about how there's all this "unreported physical violence" against men by women but until I see some strong statistical evidence and not just a fluke here and there I dont believe i. Women are NOT little angels my friend, the emotional violence they cause is often FAR MORE devastating that men's physical violence.