Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AS11
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2009, 7:25 am

My 8yr old is also 'big boned'. He's not fat as such but definatley has the potential to become quite big. The only reason he isn't is that I control what he eats mostly and try to make sure he is active. It sounds a bit regimented, but I think all AS households are to a point.

I rarely buy chips, lollies, iceblocks etc so therefore they can't be found in my cupboard. (Except for mine and my husbands stash.) I sometimes will buy muslei bars, or water iceblocks as a treat for afternoon snack, but not to be had everyday.
Here is an average lunch I pack for him: cheese and vegimite sandwich, rice crackers, homemade banana cake, fruit and low fat yoghurt. I change this everyday, and do occasionly include a treat, but never chips or chocolate for school.

I usually only let him have one thing after school so that he doesn't use appetite as an excuse for not eating dinner. At other times if he says he's hungry I tell him "You know where the fruit bowl is!".
My general rule is he can eat as much fruit as he wants without asking, but anything else he as to ask first. So far this is working but will probably change as he gets older.

FD
Raven
Raven

06 May 2009, 8:39 am

My son is the very same, wants to eat eat eat all the time. All of our food is out of reach, because we were trying to promote language and comunication, so he would always have to come and ask us for food, as it is such a strong motivator for him.

He is happy to eat probably anything.....he just wants food!! So we give all the low fat healthy options, fruit/rice cakes etc. and he is happy enough with that.

I have now realised when we go to visit relatives houses, he eats constantly while we are there. So I guess its a stress reliever. I read here on WP that it can be a form of 'stimming'. I think in his case it might be, or maybe not registering the 'full' feeling.

But I can get away with the healthy snacks as long as I give them before he is hungry or asking for food, cause then its too late and he will want to eat rubbish food. (Same as DW a Mom suggested).

Thankfully he loves the park and playground etc so he burns it off, but he would be prone to putting on weight if we didnt bring him out every day. Even lots of fruit can be fattening from the sugar content.

He drinks lots too. Like if I give him a bottle of water, and he hasnt asked for a drink, he will drink and drink until its all gone, even if he may not be thirsty ! !

Or all his food is shoved into his mouth so much that he cant even chew it!! Maybe this is all sensory for my son ! !

I havnt really found an answer, Im still puzzled with this one, so I guess Im not much help!!

I suppose Im just letting you know, that you are not alone with this xx

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 3:22 pm

the guzzling water so the stomach will fill up, the shoving food down with no care to masticate, all of that is so familiar to me. Taste is not stronger than the sensation of certain textures and temperatures in the mouth and going down the gullet. Filling up that forever empty feeling in the gut is hoped for, but rarely kept for long.

I don't know what it is, but I can definately relate! I will follow this discussion to see if there is something I can do that I haven't yet and perhaps I, too, will finally be released from this cycle.

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 10 May 2009, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 4:39 pm

I can relate too.Perhaps when your stomach is full the blood leaves your brain and goes to your stomach giving you sort of a relaxed high.Maybe deep breathing would produce the same effect.