Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 6:15 pm

IceCreamGirl wrote:
Dnuos wrote:
Because stereotypes are often incorrect. As is this.

I could probably look for more but I'm tired. Remember that AS is also under-diagnosed, so there's others. Either way, the times they-are-a-changin'. More "good looking" Aspies will inevitably show up. So this concern isn't worth worrying about and the stereotypes are false as always.

Or, I'm just optimistic. ;)

Who are these people?

Heather from America's Next Top Model, Ladyhawke (a singer), Craig Nicholls from the Vines, and Clay Marzo (a surfer).

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

18 Mar 2011, 8:44 pm

It might well be that if there is a connection,
it is because those with Aspergers often have a very hard time doing things they don't see the logical point in doing-
starving oneself thin,
ripping out your body hair,
and painting your face up to look like a birthday cake
for no better reason than those aesthetics are popular at the moment
definitely qualifies, in my view.
(Those apply more to women, obviously. :D)

It would thus seem to me that depictions of a person who is supposed to be inept in some way
would therefore necessarily trend toward someone who LOOKS unkempt.
After all, what demonstrates absent-mindedness more than someone who doesn't worship the all-mighty uniform aesthetic?

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 4:15 am

hpcrowley wrote:
Being AS/Aspergers doesn't make one ugly, per se, but living with these traits without support can turn one ugly through poor diet, hygiene, and forgetting to buy new clothes occasionally. Plus, the frustration and hopelessness that can build up due to living AS in an NT world shows on a person and contributes to "ugliness".

I'm naturally good looking but i think all these things have contributed at some point in my past to make me less so. Kind of sad really. :(

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 12:39 pm

Probably for the same reason ignorant children back in elemantary school liked to call me ret*d, when I am not....lol if you come off as different in a bad way people like to make ignorant claims about you.

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2011, 1:22 pm

Yeah, that is weird. I haven't heard that one much.... actually, I've heard more of the "Aspies are unusually good-looking" generalization, which was mentioned in the book "Loving Mr. Spock" (a misleadingly-titled book that I hated and couldn't finish, but it did have a few good points about Aspies in it).

If Aspies do have a tendency toward being unusually pretty, it may be because we tend to look young for our age. I'm turning 30 this year, and I look as if I'm in my early 20's. Every Aspie I know looks young. It may be genetic, but it also may be caused by our tendency toward not going out in the sun much, not smoking, and not wrinkling up our faces by faking facial expressions all the time.

WinterRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2011, 2:51 pm

When you're always happy, it's hard to be ugly

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 4:13 pm

earthtoerika wrote:
Yeah, that is weird. I haven't heard that one much.... actually, I've heard more of the "Aspies are unusually good-looking" generalization, which was mentioned in the book "Loving Mr. Spock" (a misleadingly-titled book that I hated and couldn't finish, but it did have a few good points about Aspies in it).

If Aspies do have a tendency toward being unusually pretty, it may be because we tend to look young for our age. I'm turning 30 this year, and I look as if I'm in my early 20's. Every Aspie I know looks young. It may be genetic, but it also may be caused by our tendency toward not going out in the sun much, not smoking, and not wrinkling up our faces by faking facial expressions all the time.

we're supposed to have a tendency to not smoke? hmm intresting...I guess that one does not fit me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 5:18 pm

I've always been told that I'm quite attractive.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Mar 2011, 6:59 pm

Where I live I do not see this Asperger/autism stereotype of being ugly. People around here usually view Asperger's/autism as a condition that allows special gifts while also having challenges.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

I can see why people dislike aspie guys (geeky, sometimes pedantic, rarely athletic), but aspie girls are just fantastic; I think they are way cooler that NT's :P

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2011, 9:31 pm

I looked at the stereotype and laughed. This isn't right. If someone saw me on the street they wouldn't have a clue I have Aspergers. I dress well and wear makeup when going out, someone once told me I have a good fashion sense. I think we aspies are good looking :D

fMR1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2013, 2:40 am

my friend told me there was a neurologist that could tell what mental disorder you have by looking at the eyes.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 3:37 am

I don't know why people make crap like this. These people obviously have incredibly narrow minds and it definitely bothers me to see AS, or any condition, portrayed in such a manner, and I'm usually a very tolerant person. I just can't wrap my head around why some people can be so cavalier about being so hurtful to a group of people they obviously know nothing about. It's insensitive moronic behaviour like this that I strive very hard to dispose of by spreading awareness wherever I can.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 4:14 am

ZakFiend wrote:
I'm very sorry to state that many people here have near zero clinical experience with aspies, aspergers is one of the most misdiagonosed unfortunately. Most clinically diagonosed aspies have severe problems functioning independently. Many of the aspie conferences I went to with people that actually deal with real aspies frquently, aspies ran the gamut from:

Very attractive, to very ugly... most aspies at the conference were either: Tall lanky and nerdy, or tendency towards being overweight, chunky or obese. There was a clear trend towards thin and nerdy or fat and nerdy, take your pick. Take alex for instance: He's clearly an example of thin and nerdy.

You are absolutely incorrect. It is untrue that "Most clinically diagnosed aspies have severe problems functioning independently". You are not a clinician nor a geneticist I presume, from what you have said. You are assisting the very stereotype that OP is complaining about and which people make fun of. I am not ugly, although I am not a fashion slave I wear what looks appropriate and suits me and I am intelligent. This however does not mean I do not suffer greatly with my AS traits. I can't speak for the US but AS is in no way over-diagnosed here, it's actually incredibly difficult for most adults to get diagnosed. I have in the past lived alone and supported myself, not without anxiety and other issues, but I did it.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 4:21 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
Keeno wrote:
Second of all, whatever groups society projects a sense of inferiority on, I have never heard Aspies as such a group. Society's punching bag is NOT Aspies, it's some sort of criminal group such as paedophiles. Or a perceived socio-economic group such as what we call in Scotland "neds", or people in England call "chavs", or people in America might call "trailer trash".

The chavs rule the school where I live. They are certainly NOT society's punching bag. That's me.

England is totally overrun with chavs, the stereotyping phase went long ago, they are pretty much the norm and the rest of us are the outsiders. Then Aspies are probably the outsiders amongst even those outsiders.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 4:25 am

b9 wrote:
but autism has no genetic effect on physical appearance. there are some attractive autistics and some neutral looking ones and some unattractive ones in the same ratio as in an NT population.

This is not true. There was a well-publicised recent study which found otherwise, and there have been a variety of threads on the matter on WP before, as well as a plethora on the internet if you search.

Search on " physical morphology autism" or "physical dysmorphology autism".