Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 4:25 am

b9 wrote:
but autism has no genetic effect on physical appearance. there are some attractive autistics and some neutral looking ones and some unattractive ones in the same ratio as in an NT population.

This is not true. There was a well-publicised recent study which found otherwise, and there have been a variety of threads on the matter on WP before, as well as a plethora on the internet if you search.

Search on " physical morphology autism" or "physical dysmorphology autism".

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 12:08 pm

I thought it said somewhere that Aspies are more good-looking?

Ahh! The contradictions that go on here!! !

Glasskitten
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 May 2013, 1:23 pm

What puzzles me is that there actually is a slightly-noticeable characteristic "look" for spectrumites, and it's almost mutually exclusive with ugliness, but the stereotypes apparently don't bother incorporating that information. When you have information, why ignore it? Must be a neurotypical thing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 1:26 pm

Even after the many years that have elapsed since this thread started- I still thnk that the poster on the first page's comment still applies- that asperger's isnt even well known enough to have a stereotype.

Aspie-like characters on TV dont have any particular look.

The most accurately portrayed aspie on TV (even though he is never id'd as such on the show) is the little boy named "Brick" in the sitcom "the Middle". He is kinda odd looking, but not actually bad looking. The title character in Bones is a very aspie acting woman who is above average in looks by the standards of most. Sheldon in the BBT is rather average looking.