Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 10:03 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
I must admit that as a linux user I am baffled why someone would put the least restrictive environment inside the most restrictive..

It does seem to negate most, if not all, the benefits of Linux.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:12 am

Orwell wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
I must admit that as a linux user I am baffled why someone would put the least restrictive environment inside the most restrictive..

It does seem to negate most, if not all, the benefits of Linux.

That it does. If I had my way, I'd buy the mac, install linux, then virtualbox OSX. No windows though. Hubby thinks it's weird, but I avoid it like the plague. Haven't touched it on the personal comp in well over a year now, only messed with it at work and on his machine. And I make sure to laugh sardonically every time he gets malware or worms.

You could always try using JUST linux for a while. You'd be amazed how many of the dependencies we have built on windows or OSX are a non issue with a few skips past a good forum.

And does anyone else think that the 1% share linux now has is maybe just preinstalled units? If so, M$ will never loose much share, they install their crap on everything. It's like VD... but scarier.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 3:07 am

Orwell wrote:
Actually, right now I only have OS X functional after Fuzzy helped me kill Ubuntu and I tried to reformat my Windows partition to get the Windows 7 RC, which wouldn't boot. Some more fun coming up soon...

It was fun. I forgot to post the chat log. I'll make a post.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 4:22 am

kip wrote:
You could always try using JUST linux for a while. You'd be amazed how many of the dependencies we have built on windows or OSX are a non issue with a few skips past a good forum.

I've used Ubuntu pretty much exclusively for the entire past school year. There were a few occasions when I attempted to use Windows or OS X, but I generally just found either of them too frustrating and went back to Ubuntu immediately. For my purposes, there is nothing of importance that OS X or Windows has over Linux (except my audio drivers suck in Ubuntu), whereas I find numerous advantages in Linux over either of the big proprietary systems.

But even with just using Linux on a day-to-day basis, I think I would pretty much always keep an OS X install as a fail-safe. Plus, having it there makes some things easier to deal with when you're working on Apple hardware.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 5:24 am

I Always keep a dual boot. Its the fastest way to separate a hardware problem from one caused by software.

LAEMapsie
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2009, 5:27 pm

I have used Linux for my course, but dont really fancy Linux much for casual use.

Im staying with XP until Windows 7 comes out.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 7:39 pm

LAEMapsie wrote:
I have used Linux for my course, but dont really fancy Linux much for casual use.

Im staying with XP until Windows 7 comes out.

Really? Out of curiosity, what did you dislike about Linux? I've never used XP except in Virtualbox, and honestly I never saw anything really special about it. I mean, it could just be that I haven't delved deeply enough into Windows, but I can't see much to recommend it.

khelben1979
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jun 2009, 2:42 pm

Orwell wrote:
GNU/Linux operating systems now hold just a hair over 1% of the market for the first time. Given that Apple was able to be seen as a thriving competitor with market shares as low as 5-6%, will the general public begin to look at Linux more seriously?

Change takes time... Windows will probably continue to be the most important OS for gamers for the coming 10 years to come, but I wouldn't be so sure that Windows will keep on dominating forever. :) Linux needs good distributions like Debian, in my opinion, but for games..? I think we might see more Linux gaming distributions in the future (gaming optimized kernels for better performance?), if, companies decides to stand behind them with some economical funds.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 2:46 pm

Gaming is about to take a massive slump in market anyway. With the average age of people in western countries being over 30, you can expect a loss in game related sales.

Likewise and moreso with music.

Of course they will blame it on piracy...