07 May 2009, 11:28 pm

yes, I have stopped beating my wife
0%
0% [ 0 ]
no, I have NOT stopped beating my wife
0%
0% [ 0 ]

who added this

Last edited by koreanamerican on 11 May 2009, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2009, 11:56 pm

Vista 32-bit is slow as all hell. I'm sure the 64-bit version would be better if you have massive amounts of RAM. XP I have found very responsive, but I've only seen the 32-bit version of that.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 May 2009, 11:59 pm

I just got Vista, and I cordially hate it. So much stuff on it that is redundant or downright unnecessary. Wish I knew how to "downgrade" to XP. and, it's slow as hell.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 12:30 am

hartzofspace wrote:
I just got Vista, and I cordially hate it. So much stuff on it that is redundant or downright unnecessary. Wish I knew how to "downgrade" to XP. and, it's slow as hell.

Just upgrade to Windows 7. The RC is a free download. You have until next March before it becomes nagware, and until June before it self-destructs.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2009, 1:51 am

I agree Vista 32 bit is way too slow. I'm always seeing people online spewing the BS of "you don't have enough RAM, Vista needs alot of RAM". I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM. Is this not enough for Vista, seriously? It can't even use all of that without being 64 bit. I'm not sure if 64 bit is any better, but I can definently confirm XP is faster than 32bit Vista.

weatherkid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 May 2009, 7:37 am

Someone is going to get me for this but...

1. Linux
2. WinXP
500203345453. WinVista

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 8:25 am

Windows XP x64 comes in 2 variants.
Windows XP x64 and Windows XP x64 Professional Edition
The professional edition is Windows 5.2. Some programs do NOT like it, I think it's the way some programs identify them, if it's not 5.1 but above, then it may refuse to install. Doom 3 needs to be modified to be installed, once it is, it works perfectly. Some games do not like the "Windows XP" compatibility mode, but work better when it's left standard.

Windows XP works well with 1GB RAM, but an ideal minimum is 256MB, many places say 1GB but that's for games, etc
Windows XP x64 Pro needs 256MB RAM it would be better if applications worked better. Some of my game work better on XP 32 but crash completely on XP 64.
Windows Vista 32 I haven't played with too much, it doesn't seem much of a problem with 2GB RAM from what I remember. I always use 64 bit OS.
Windows Vista x64 seems ok on 2GB RAM. I run it on 6GB RAM and ran Daemon Tools lite and was wondering why I had 14% free memory. One of the mounted images was completely mounted in RAM, not bad for performance I suppose. But not many applications are optimised for 64bit.

You can get 64bit patches, but they aren't proper. There are drivers fr graphics cards that are said to be better than 32 bit. This could be the way they are executed and stored in memory before going to VRAM. I wonder how long before Windows will become 64 bit only. The leap from 16 to 32 bit wasn't as long as this. Windows 3.x and Windows 95, although Windows 95 emulated 32bit, and Windows NT was the true 32bit OS in the family. Why do you think Windows 2000/XP was MUCH better in speed?

Windows 7 could be the next stage where it's 64 bit only, who knows. I know that Windows 6.1 is in beta for 32 and 64bit, so why is Vista much better on 64 bit platforms?

Is it so hard to want a 64bit operating system that needs little to run, run my games natively, and not be rubbish? I know Linux is out there, but I want all my games to run. Windows Vista x64 Ultimate 6.0.6001 wasn't too good at running Unreal Tournament, it had a speed problem, whereas Unreal Tournament on Windows x64 Pro ran better (I have dual cores, all drivers necessary were installed) and smoother. Windows 5.2 and above will not run DOS based games such as Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and other DOS based games without something else to run it on between the OS and application.

Linux has good compatibility. Quake 3 Arena installed under Windows, runs well through Wine. I just need to get to know the commands for it to hopefully tweak it to it's best for me.

I love the way computers are getting faster and operating systems need more to run as time goes on. So the end result is; boot time is the same for all computers regardless of what it is running. Unless you have a severe problem and Windows Vista takes about 45 minutes to load... I'm not joking... A quick chkdsk with chkntfs adjustment (I am told chkntfs and chkdsk are the same? lol, whatever) and it was improved dramatically

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 May 2009, 8:09 pm

Orwell wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

Just upgrade to Windows 7. The RC is a free download. You have until next March before it becomes nagware, and until June before it self-destructs.

What is RC and nagware?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 8:29 pm

RC is release candidate. nagware has popups bugging you to buy the product.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 11:57 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
Orwell wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:

What is RC and nagware?

RC is the pre-release version. It's almost complete, but Microsoft is planning a few more tweaks and bug fixes. It's already pretty stable. Next March, it starts limiting you to two-hour logins.

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2009, 1:21 pm

Hey, is it alright if I ask just how large the Windows 7 download is exactly?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 2:55 pm

What happened to the subject line of this thread? :? Has WP been hacked?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 3:31 pm

TallyMan wrote:
What happened to the subject line of this thread? :? Has WP been hacked?

OP got a bit irked with the Powers That Be and did that to all his posts.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 5:24 pm

Vashna wrote:
Hey, is it alright if I ask just how large the Windows 7 download is exactly?

3.8 gigs. Fills most of a dvd.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 5:49 pm

How many hours does it take to download that?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2009, 6:18 pm

RaceDrv709 wrote:
How many hours does it take to download that?

Beats me. What connection do you have?

Go to www.speedtest.net and bring back the numbers. Then I can tell you roughly.