Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Alice1-1
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2009, 2:10 pm

I just read Le Monde and the French have banned that creepy exhibition where that German doctor puts lots of deconstructed dead bodies on display. From memory, they banned the exhibition because: 1. They were not fully satisfied about the provenance of the bodies. 2. They thought that it was ghoulish. I wish that we had done the same in England. I am all for understanding the human body and all that comes with that, but, for me, this was something else.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 2:55 pm

I went to that body works when it was in manchester. I really enjoyed it, I didn't find it goulish at all. I don't see why they should ban it, it's educational, it's interesting and I have always been interested in how the body works and that exibition showed me exactly that.

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2009, 6:23 pm

Read about all the arguments, moral, ethical, medical or otherwise, on why you should not attend these exhibitions here:

http://www.corpseshow.info/

"It's educational" has always been the ready excuse for these spectacles. If you must really need to "educate" yourself about the goings-on of the human body spend an afternoon at your local library and thumb through a copy of Gray's Anatomy instead. It might be dry and boring but at least you're not contributing to the rendering and processing of political prisoners' bodies in what is now a burgeoning Chinese cottage industry.

I don't need to see some skinless Chinese pro-democracy dissenter propped up to look like he's about to serve a tennis ball in order to learn about the human musculoskeletal system. An unholy union of the macabre and the kitschy indeed...

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 11:04 am

Llixgrjb wrote:
Read about all the arguments, moral, ethical, medical or otherwise, on why you should not attend these exhibitions here:

"It's educational" has always been the ready excuse for these spectacles. If you must really need to "educate" yourself about the goings-on of the human body spend an afternoon at your local library and thumb through a copy of Gray's Anatomy instead. It might be dry and boring but at least you're not contributing to the rendering and processing of political prisoners' bodies in what is now a burgeoning Chinese cottage industry.

I don't need to see some skinless Chinese pro-democracy dissenter propped up to look like he's about to serve a tennis ball in order to learn about the human musculoskeletal system. An unholy union of the macabre and the kitschy indeed...

Dr. Death topic

He wants to be plastinated himself, complete with the trademark Fedora. Undertaker to the murdered, the suicided, the donated deceased. The Ultimate Preserverator. The Grave Reaper.
Forever frozen freakshow, including a featured fetus. The Corpse Corps. :skull: :pale: :eew: :ncool: :thumbdown: :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Llixgrjb
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 May 2009, 3:53 am

Sure, go ahead and wax poetic about this so-called doctor and attribute to him a string of romantic phrases and buzzwords. When you get right down to it he's just your garden variety opportunist trying to make a quick buck.

From http://www.asianresearch.org/articles/2262.html:

Quote:
Recently, German Doctor Gunther von Hagens, held a human anatomy exhibition that was condemned by many human rights associations. It was revealed by the German media that some of the corpses in Dr. Hagens’ exhibition were those of executed Chinese criminals. Dr. Hagens admitted that some of the bodies he exhibited had been shot in the head. Bright Mirror Weekly of Germany reported that Dr. Hagens has been trading in human corpses and organs for more than ten years. He has three sites for his business, the biggest in Dalian, located close to three Chinese labor camps. This site was formerly managed by Dr. Sui Hongjin, who hired 170 Chinese employees.

Dr. Hagens’ human anatomy trade is worldwide and an extremely profitable business, receiving many orders from research departments of universities and hospitals around the world. His old manager, Dr. Sui Hongjin, left him and established another company to compete with Dr. Hagens. Many of the specimens exhibited publicly in Beijing and Hong Kong were provided by Dr. Sui Hongjin. Dr. Sui obtains the corpses of the dead criminals from the Chinese government in the same manner as Dr. Hagens.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 9:53 am

sartresue wrote:
Llixgrjb wrote:

Dr. Death topic

He wants to be plastinated himself, complete with the trademark Fedora. Undertaker to the murdered, the suicided, the donated deceased. The Ultimate Preserverator. The Grave Reaper.
Forever frozen freakshow, including a featured fetus. The Corpse Corps. :skull: :pale: :eew: :ncool: :thumbdown: :evil:

I don't honestly see what is wrong with those exibitons. I'd go again if I had a chance. Maybe I'm just morbid like that 8O

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2009, 2:56 pm

am thought the show that ...something ..gunthenberg? [can never remember his name] did was great,was not able to go to it but watched the recorded ones he did for channel four,it isnt a programme to show off gore,but to show how bodies work and look at a raw level,and some of the models he has made are almost like art-like the horse he did,he's making this sort of stuff more interesting to a wider audience,but it obviously isnt everyones thing.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!