Are these common AS issues for a child?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ILoveLucy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 May 2009, 4:58 pm

I remember being in 2nd grade and having major issues with the lights in my classroom. I STILL have issues with lights, just not as bad as back then. I complained that it hurt to look up at the board because it was bright. I also had an obcession with wetting my pants, I would always be afraid that I had wet myself or had some type of accident, even when I hadn't, I'd sort of reach down there and check. I always thought it would be embarassing if I wet my pants in front of the school, and obcessed over it.

My mother volunteered daily in the school library, and was friends with my teacher. She usually came to my class and sat about 45 minutes before dismissal. If she was even I few minutes short of 45 minutes there, I would freak out and be unable to breath. I worried she wouldn't come before dismissal time, would leave me there ect. I also had really messy handwriting, I couldn't do anything neat, ever.

I am eighteen and haven't been diagnosed yet. But, are these symptoms?

LolaGranola
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2009, 5:25 pm

Lights, yes, for those of us who have sensitivity to light. Messy handwriting is also common.
I'm not sure about the other two, though.

I like your name and picture, by the way. Lucy is hilarious!

ster
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 6:08 am

sensitivity to light and sound are most definitely AS traits........anxiety is also a trait.

2PreciousSouls
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2009, 7:34 am

My Son (4) dx Mild autism, doesnt like it if I turn the down lights on in the kitchen... He always wants dim lights, and lights off in the family room of the evenings... He' s not a fan of lights :)

Chyndonax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2009, 2:29 am

It's kind of odd for me. I'm not sensitive to lights. Quite the opposite, I used to enjoy staring into them a great deal. I am sensitive to sound though.

MissEden
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jun 2009, 6:50 pm

My Asperger son has the obsession with the fear of wetting himself. He also uses the bathroom a million times a day. It's actually in his IEP that the teachers have to let him go when he needs to because he won't learn a thing while sitting there worried that he is about to wet himself.