Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2009, 9:51 pm

I am pretty excited about this game. There hasn't been a new addition to the series for fifteen years. I played the NES version quite a bit back in the 80s. Also, I was an expert at Super Punch-Out!! on the Super Nintendo. I once played through the entire game without losing a single fight.

The new Wii version looks very good. It has boxers from both the NES and SNES games as well as new ones. It will let you use classic control since the motion sensor control from Wii Sports boxing gets old after a while.

Anybody else going to buy this when it is new later this month? It might be the most major Nintendo franchise game this year.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 1:48 pm

I'm pretty excited about it, but I don't have the cash =/ I ended up getting Guitar Hero: MetallicA instead.

Was also considering getting that new House of the Dead game.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2009, 8:56 pm

I got the new Punch-Out!! a couple days ago. It is much more like the NES version than the one for the SNES. I have got through the first two circuits so far without any help.

The only new character I've seen so far is "Disco Kid". The series has had a fifteen year absence, so I guess this is a good way to bring it back before Nintendo makes a completely new game.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2009, 9:09 pm

Yeah, I was kind of sad to see the high scores totally absent, but it's still a pretty good game.

Reminds me a lot of Street Fighter IV...except with much better execution :oops:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 10:53 pm

I was super-addicted to the NES version.

They had two different NES versions. One had Mike Tyson as the final opponent, the other had Mr. Dream as the final opponent (after Tyson lost to Buster Douglas in 1990, and thus, was no longer the undefeated heavyweight champion).

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 9:14 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

They had two different NES versions. One had Mike Tyson as the final opponent, the other had Mr. Dream as the final opponent (after Tyson lost to Buster Douglas in 1990, and thus, was no longer the undefeated heavyweight champion).

Mike Tyson and Mr. Dream fight exactly the same right? I take it you never beat either of them which is normal of course. :)

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 May 2009, 9:19 pm

They should make a version with Mr. Clean as the final opponent.

Observe!
POW! Uppercut!

The former things have passed away."

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 11:00 am

^ Lol, I agree :lol:

Punch Out! for Wii seems good, but I don't have the cash. I'm planning to get some PS3 titles

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 2:27 pm

I only played it in the arcade and couldn't get past Glass Joe.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 3:20 pm

The arcade ones are hard :x

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2009, 6:18 pm

This was the circa 1983 arcade one.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:23 pm

Did anybody else here reach platinum status at Club Nintendo? They are offering either an authentic Mario hat or a WiiWare game called "Doc Louis's Punch-Out!!" as a reward. It won't be available anywhere else.

I guess Little Mac fights his trainer the entire game. It isn't available to download yet though.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 10:29 pm

I remember reading this topic a while ago, and thought I should post that I've finally got this game today (BIRTHDAY PRESENT, WOO HOO!). I LOVE this game. It is just as fun as the first two console Punch Out!! games. What I especially love about this game is how every character speaks their native language; it really gives you the idea that you are fighting boxers from other countries. This is definitely the most charming of all the Punch Out!! games, and I highly recommend it to any Wii owner.

"Ooh Aah Ooh Aah. Are you ready for this? Disco Kid!"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 1:54 am

Venger wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Mike Tyson and Mr. Dream fight exactly the same right? I take it you never beat either of them which is normal of course. :)

What did Mike Tyson say to Vincent Van Gogh?
"You gonna eat that?"

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm

AtomicKaiju wrote:
I remember reading this topic a while ago, and thought I should post that I've finally got this game today (BIRTHDAY PRESENT, WOO HOO!). I LOVE this game. It is just as fun as the first two console Punch Out!! games. What I especially love about this game is how every character speaks their native language; it really gives you the idea that you are fighting boxers from other countries. This is definitely the most charming of all the Punch Out!! games, and I highly recommend it to any Wii owner.

"Ooh Aah Ooh Aah. Are you ready for this? Disco Kid!"

Now I know why Doc Louis says "Join Club Nintendo today Mac" sometimes between rounds. I still haven't been able to download the exclusive Punch-Out!! game though. Nintendo said it will be out sometime before November 1st...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 1:11 pm

Venger wrote:
Now I know why Doc Louis says "Join Club Nintendo today Mac" sometimes between rounds.

It's actually just a joke about the original NES game...he said something like "Join the Nintendo Fun Club today!". The Nintendo Fun Club quickly changed into Nintendo Power magazine, which I think is still around today, but NoA doesn't run it anymore. So it makes more sense to advertise Club Nintendo instead.