Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 May 2009, 1:16 am

I am wondering how many kids get mis dx'd with Oppisitional Defiance disorder, when it's really Aspergers.

My doc said.... Kid's on the spectrum can show ODD behaviors, but you have to dig deeper and look at the trigger of the behavior. When you see what triggered it, for an Aspie child it usually points to AS. And that says Aspergers, not ODD.

Just wondering how many kids are being mis dx'd with this.

Dilemma
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 May 2009, 3:28 am

A friends daughter has ODD and i sometimes wonder if it's something more than that because of other oddities she has. It's not obviously AS but...

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 3:34 am

I think kids who are AS get mistakenly diagnosed with all sorts of other things. ADD, ODD, and so on. People are looking at behaviors and not even asking about the triggers. Years later, if they're lucky, someone finally figures it out, but by then the poor child has built up a huge inventory of hate and frustration.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 4:24 am

I once knew a girl that had ODD and she fit the AS description soooo much better. She didn't even seem ODD at all! In fact, she actually had an obsession with me... But she ended up moving to a different county or something a few months after I met her.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 5:55 am

ODD was one of the many dxes they tried to foist onto my son pre-AS dx.................some docs don't seem to get the whole idea that AS is a spectrum- to them, unless you are severe, you couldn't possibly have AS :roll:

natesmom
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2009, 1:08 pm

Lainie wrote:
I am wondering how many kids get mis dx'd with Oppisitional Defiance disorder, when it's really Aspergers.

My doc said.... Kid's on the spectrum can show ODD behaviors, but you have to dig deeper and look at the trigger of the behavior. When you see what triggered it, for an Aspie child it usually points to AS. And that says Aspergers, not ODD.

Just wondering how many kids are being mis dx'd with this.

I have noticed this happening with a few kids that were obviously Aspergers. When the children were younger however it was a little more difficult to see by people who were not qualified in the field of autism spectrum. They were diagnosed as having an Emotional Disability. When the children were in middle school, the correct diagnosis became apparent.