Hi Im a new and from Brisbane Australia

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

footprint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2009, 7:49 am

G'day flamingshorts and welcome
Im in Sydney there do seam to be alot of others from oz.

To contiune the off topic:
In Sydney i find reveres rasism to be alive, i was kicked out of Centeral station and called a stupid skip for complaining they let the last train out 10mins early, (maybe it didnt help i suggested i could use my 4hr wait to test all the firehoses - that was after the comment). I have found the worse offenders not to be Aussies, i might be bias but im fairly easy going and constantly surprised how the shoe is on the other foot, that said if you go into redneck woods you should expect it to a degree.

frequently
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2009, 10:19 am

footprint wrote:
G'day flamingshorts and welcome
Im in Sydney there do seam to be alot of others from oz.

To contiune the off topic:
In Sydney i find reveres rasism to be alive, i was kicked out of Centeral station and called a stupid skip for complaining they let the last train out 10mins early, (maybe it didnt help i suggested i could use my 4hr wait to test all the firehoses - that was after the comment). I have found the worse offenders not to be Aussies, i might be bias but im fairly easy going and constantly surprised how the shoe is on the other foot, that said if you go into redneck woods you should expect it to a degree.

(hello yes sorry to hi jack!! !)

this is my point exactly...
reverse racism? the reverse of racism would be that people would accept you no matter what colour your skin is.
yet for you the reverse of racism is that YOU were racially discriminated against...YOU an AUSSIE probably a white male. you are showing first hand your own privilege. you don't expect racial discrimination because your a white australian. this is not the reverse of racism this is racism first hand.

you know the easiest and most ignorant way to equal out a situation is to 'fight fire with fire'. this is why they called you a 'stupid skip' and why you find the 'worse offenders to not be aussies'. when in fact the people who called you a stupid skip probably were 'aussies' in so far as they have an australia passport, just like you, they are just as australian as you are.

i'm not trying to flame you here, this is important. you are no more entitled to live in australia than any one else. just because you're white, just because your(our) forefathers came and settled australia and other migrants came later, doesn't make one more or less entitled to racial discrimination or any thing that comes with it.
i totally understand what it's like to grow up white in a white community and to feel like this is the way it should be. but the other side of my family is black, and i see their pain and how deeply it runs. the reverse of racism is absolutely not racism perpetrated against you.
i hope you understand the point that i am trying to make and don't take it as a personal criticism. this is something that concerns me personally very deeply and i don't expect that other people would have such an interest in it. but i will all ways call a spade a spade.

racial discrimination is as bad as any other discrimination and there is no clear one way or the other. you can go from being extremely racist, to somewhat racist, to a little racist, to not really racist to not racist at all, as you can have all those degree's of sexism and ageism and classism and whatever else you can think of.
but i think this is a really good opportunity to evaluate your response to this situation because it definitely is an interesting situation. but unfortunately not the reverse of racism.

footprint
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2009, 8:10 am

frequently wrote:
but i think this is a really good opportunity to evaluate your response to this situation because it definitely is an interesting situation. but unfortunately not the reverse of racism.

Yes you're correct that was a very poor choice of words on my behalf, thanks you.
Personally I dont view anyone as inherently different it does effect the way i interact as i know there is a language barrier in some situations. In some way this was what i was trying to express.

Edit:
I understand what your saying about your family, amongst my friends only a handful are typical Aussies the rest are mainly from the Middle East and Asia. When i see them being discriminated against im the first to speak out and once punched a now ex-friend out for making negative comments. In no way do i feel more entitled but i do feel very strongly about what it means to be an Australian, for me thats accepting everyone regardless of who/where/why/what. As an example i cried at the Cronulla riots, it was so un-Australian and while i dont support the retaliation I can understand where it was from.

frequently
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 May 2009, 1:24 pm

ah i'm very glad that you didn't take what i said negatively :) thats a very good sign

its funny growing up in white australia there are all these things such as semantics that betray how you really feel about people, i think its an important thing to over come and pass on.
the cronulla riots really were a heartbreaking moment in history, i hope to never see such a thing in my lifetime especially in australia. but there are similar such things happening after the tamil tigers defeat.

anyway all the best on WP