Page 3 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:42 pm

ouinon wrote:
Sand wrote:
And what is something that a great number of people believe to be not true and you believe to be true and you tell that to someone as if it were true?

I tell people that I believe in god. I do believe in god, therefore I am not lying.

Ah, but that is dodging the question. Nobody can doubt you believe in God. But if you try to tell people they should believe in God because God exists, that is something else altogether.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2009, 2:54 pm

Sand wrote:
ouinon wrote:
I tell people that I believe in god. I do believe in god, therefore I am not lying.
Ah, but that is dodging the question. Nobody can doubt you believe in God. But if you try to tell people they should believe in God because God exists, that is something else altogether.

I am not dodging the question.

I don't tell people they should believe in god.

Nor do I tell people that "god exists", because "exists" has a very objective meaning in our society, and it doesn't mean the same thing as saying "I believe in god".

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2009, 3:12 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I am interested by what you mean with the word "god"? Do you mean the Christian god of the bible or something more abstract?

God like in the book "I am David", ( by Anne Holm ), the one of the "still waters and green pastures", and the one writing the universe as we speak, ( that makes me laugh ), and "the first cause", and ... a loving god. The god of the Bible, probably, because that is the one I've read about most, perhaps mainly the one of the New Testament. But not "affiliated" with the Christian or any other church. A Universalist ( is that what they're called ) god?

I didn't consciously choose to believe in any god in particular. I just stood, over the fridge of all places, fed up of assigning agency and cause and meaning etc, ( not that I've stopped assigning cause and creating meaning etc, just the biggest one is dealt with ), after reading about the "god need" theory, and said "I believe in god" a couple of times and that was that; a "loving arms" sort of feeling, of "coming home", being "safe at last" etc. I cried with relief.

I "forget" sometimes, like forgetting to eat greens, and it takes me feeling increasingly grotty to remember to "renew" my belief. I think the god of the bible is pretty abstract actually, just expressed in language it is easy to take too literally, ( because they didn't have such a rich vocabulary of abstract terms, then, and had to rely a lot on metaphors based on the concrete to express what they meant/experienced ).

Last edited by ouinon on 11 May 2009, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2009, 3:32 pm

Henriksson wrote:
A child telling her parents that Santa Claus visited her house and gave her presents wouldn't be lying either.

But her parents would be if they told her that Santa Claus existed, or even that they believed in Santa Claus, ( unless they actually did, that is :wink: ).

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 3:50 pm

ouinon wrote:
after reading about the "god need" theory, and said "I believe in god" a couple of times and that was that; a "loving arms" sort of feeling, of "coming home", being "safe at last" etc. I cried with relief.

I can relate to what you are saying. When I was young and inquisitive I attended several different Christian churches looking for "answers"; but what I noticed was that there really were no "answers" or "deep truths" on offer so much as a sense of belonging and community. This was most openly expressed in an evangelical born again type church I went to with a friend. Lots of arm waving and jolly singing and happy smiling people. The atmosphere was quite hypnotic. I knew I could let go of my "search" and "logic" and just become engulfed in all the emotion but inside I knew it wasn't for me, not what I was looking for. While I could have become a Christian and had the warm fuzzy feeling inside of a God caring for me "loving arms etc" I knew I would be lying to myself.

Over the years I have found answers and more importantly discovered more about questions themselves. My own search for "agency, cause and meaning" is more or less complete, but is so far from what Christians would call "God" that I can't even begin to describe it. Words completely fail. I could toss in references to Consciousness, Nirvana, no-time and obtuse mathematical principles but unless the recipient of those words knew what the hell I was talking about the words / labels would convey nothing. So I don't usually bother. Easier to say I'm atheist / Zen Buddhist.

Thanks for your reply.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 May 2009, 4:07 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I can relate to what you are saying.

I don't think that you do. At least I don't relate at all to the example of something you see as similar.
Quote:
... a sense of belonging and community ...

This is totally alien to me, in the context of belief in god. The only time I felt something like this was on a Large Group Awareness Training, "More to Life", a Cognitive Therapy based course I went on a few times. And I agree that it can be, and in fact was, very hypnotic, for a while.

But that is not what I feel as a result of believing in god. So it is probably that, like you about your zen buddhist experience, I am simply not able to express it very well, which is why I also do not generally tend to try and describe my feelings etc, but stick instead to the bare bones of it.

Apart from the first rush of feeling, which was astonishingly powerful/moving, I have tended to find it a remarkably unemotional experience. Like a belief in justice, truth, or free will. :wink:

Quote:
I knew I would be lying to myself.

Yes, I felt like that when I was in my teens and went for a while to a christian group called "Crusaders", and they were so "happy" and smiley etc, and I "tried" to join in, to believe, but realised very quickly that I would have been only pretending.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 4:21 pm

ouinon wrote:
But that is not what I feel as a result of believing in god. So it is probably that, like you about your zen buddhist experience, I am simply not able to express it very well, which is why I also do not generally tend to try and describe my feelings etc, but stick instead to the bare bones of it.

Interesting. Words tend to fail us when trying to convey certain experiences or aspects of knowledge. Many years ago when my own spiritual experiences / spiritual knowledge started to drop into place I noticed others would often use the same inappropriate words and poor labels. It seemed apparent that they knew what I knew and since we both used the same futile words to convey this knowledge that we knew we were actually talking about the same thing!

What is difficult to convey regarding my own spiritual awareness is that it is not some distant abstract mental concept or a belief system but is here and present around me all the time. The world has not changed, but my perception of it has. My perception of me, life, death and everything has changed.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2009, 1:27 am

TallyMan wrote:
What is difficult to convey regarding my own spiritual awareness is that it is not some distant abstract mental concept or a belief system but is here and present around me all the time. The world has not changed, but my perception of it has. My perception of me, life, death and everything has changed.

That's it. :D

Not everything, yet, :wink: :lol: perhaps because it's only been 18 months, but I have noticed that it is slowly permeating everything, like water spreading/entering, sometimes dramatically, other times smoothly. It is having a sort of domino effect on other things.

Last edited by ouinon on 12 May 2009, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 2:23 am

ouinon wrote:
Sand wrote:
ouinon wrote:

I am not dodging the question.

I don't tell people they should believe in god.

Nor do I tell people that "god exists", because "exists" has a very objective meaning in our society, and it doesn't mean the same thing as saying "I believe in god".

In other words, you are saying that a lie is totally dependent upon motivation and something that is overwhelmingly accepted as untrue is not a lie.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 May 2009, 2:32 am

Sand wrote:
In other words you are saying that a lie is totally dependent upon motivation and something that is overwhelmingly accepted as untrue is not a lie.

That is not what I am saying.

As I said in reply to your earlier question, a lie is "when you tell someone something that you do not yourself believe, ( generally with the intention to deceive )". That is not a question of motivation, but of belief. Do you believe what you are saying to a person? If you do then it is not a lie.

And just because a lot of people do not believe the same thing does not make it a lie. Imagine if that were the case. :lol:

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 2:55 am

ouinon wrote:
Sand wrote:
In other words you are saying that a lie is totally dependent upon motivation and something that is overwhelmingly accepted as untrue is not a lie.

That is not what I am saying.

As I said in reply to your earlier question, a lie is "when you tell someone something that you do not yourself believe, ( generally with the intention to deceive )". That is not a question of motivation, but of belief. Do you believe what you are saying to a person? If you do then it is not a lie.

And just because a lot of people do not believe the same thing does not make it a lie. Imagine if that were the case. :lol:

And what I said was that you believe that if somebody is trying to deceive, that defines a lie whether their method is an untruth or otherwise.

MarlonBanando
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 May 2009, 2:55 am

Im all for honesty

I pride myself on my own personal brand of honesty but one thing I have learned the hard way is that not everyone is prepared to accept honesty, especially when it conveys an unpleasant message. Something we must be prepared to awknowlege is that what we think, what we believe to be absolutely true beyond reason, is not always shared. When this is the case it is always better to express oneself and move on rather than insist that others follow our lead in a likeminded fashion. We must realize that what is right, or what is true can only be determined by our own individual perceptions and that these differ greatly from person to person.

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2009, 2:25 pm

ouinon wrote:
Sand wrote:
Is there such a thing as a lie?

That's when you tell someone something that you do not yourself believe, generally with the intention to deceive, isn't it?

I'm going to be presumptuous & say that I think when Sand asked 'is there such a thing as a lie?', the word 'lie' of course having strong connotations of deliberately deceiving someone, he perhaps ought to have more accurately phrased his meaning 'is there such a thing as an untrue statement?'

& even if he didn't mean that, I think it's a more pertinent question.

In other words, given that you think
ouinon wrote:
Truth is subjective. It's what works for any given person or group or structure.

do you think it is possible to say something that is not true?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 2:28 pm

ducasse wrote:

1 + 1 = 3

ducasse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2009, 2:36 pm

That seems pretty untrue to me! But if someone said they felt 1 + 1 = 3 worked for them, would ouinon say that means it is true?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 2:40 pm

TallyMan wrote:
ducasse wrote:

1 + 1 = 3

In some mathematics 1+1 = 10

Math is very flexible and when you are counting clouds or holes, 1+1=1

I could probably discover some system where 1+1=3 (Perhaps a family with 1 child)