Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 11:20 am

I'm wondering if other aspies think of themselves as ambitious? Personally I think I am the world's most complacent person. Lack of ambition doesn't bother me, but I guess family members are disappointed that I'm not more ambitious and *that* bothers me.

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 11:33 am

My aspie side isn't ambitious at all, but my other side is extremely ambitious. I don't know if it's narcissistic personality disorder that makes me ambitious but when I feel "happy" I also lose all ambition and just float around in aspie universe. A hug and a glass of wine on a nice evening is enough to make me appreciate life if I'm in harmony.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 11:41 am

i have short bursts of motivation in which i can get a lot done.

other than that, i'm content to chill. (to a fault)

blossoms
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 May 2009, 12:51 pm

I lack ambition and am happy or even blessed by that.

Last edited by blossoms on 11 May 2009, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattShizzle
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 12:59 pm

I don't have any.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 1:05 pm

I think it depends on how happy you are. I myself tend to be extremely ambitious, mostly about my obsessions.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2009, 1:24 pm

I go back and forth. A few months ago when I was diagnosed I thought I was on top of the world and started volunteering to do tons of things, .y Psyciatrist told me to stop and he was right. I get excited say i am going to do all this stuff and then get overwhelmed.

Maybe you should set very specific goals in a few small areas? Then you would have the pleasure of succeedding at something and the satisfaction of pleasing your family.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

11 May 2009, 2:33 pm

I have ambitions, I just lack the motivation to continue with anything.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:42 pm

I also have ambition, but i have not enough energy to keep "fuelling the fire", sometimes get depressed and cannot continue to pursue my goals and end up with some programming job which isn't what i want and i get another 6 month to add to my CV.

Right now, things are looking better, i have gone to plenty of interviews over the last 3 months - and some are even for jobs i can see myself working on for much longer than 6 month without becoming bored and/or unmotivated with.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:48 pm

i have an ambition, in a way very ambitious.. that is i'd like to create some truly amazing & "original" music..
but a smaller ambition is to play the blues.. & I can :) even with no motivation lol indeed sometimes it helps..

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:50 pm

I seem to have both high and low ambition. I'm extremely ambitious about my own pursuits related to activities I find exciting and mentally stimulating. At the same time I lack ambition when it comes to anything I find tedious or dull. I have next to zero ambition when it comes to fighting through red tape, filling out paper work, or financial stuff in general. I also have very little motivation to advertise myself to people. I have a lot of talents and skills yet I still despise filling out applications, doing job interviews, etc.

Most "normal" people find this aspect of my personality baffling. They all seem to love anything that has to do with "stepping up the ladder", investing, etc., regardless of how utterly mind-numbing it is. If it's related to money it's somehow automatically exciting to them. Yet they don't seem as dedicated about what they actually do for their career. :shrug:

Last edited by marshall on 11 May 2009, 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:51 pm

I'm not ambitious in the career sense. All I wanna do is be in Italy, I don't care if the most high-profile job I do is waitressing, as long as I'm in Italy I'll be happy. But in boring Britain, all the money in the world wouldn't make me happy.

The careers advisor at school is worried about me because I am content just to bluff my way through life on impractical dreams, or something. Whatever, that sounds a lot more fun than a 9 to 5 office job.

y es como un semestre"

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 2:56 pm

ambi- what...?

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 3:20 pm

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
I'm not ambitious in the career sense. All I wanna do is be in Italy, I don't care if the most high-profile job I do is waitressing, as long as I'm in Italy I'll be happy. But in boring Britain, all the money in the world wouldn't make me happy.

The careers advisor at school is worried about me because I am content just to bluff my way through life on impractical dreams, or something. Whatever, that sounds a lot more fun than a 9 to 5 office job.

You will probably end on welfare like 90% of aspies if you have that attitude. Not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. I'm also against the idea of 9-5 work.

To me it's more important who I'm with than where I live. I would prefer to live in western Europe but being with someone I like is the most important thing to me. Currently I have no one in my life, I don't think I will ever meet anyone either because most people categorically discard the idea of a relationship with someone who doesn't have any formal education and never had a job.

WardenWolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 4:10 pm

I find myself falling into complacency sometimes, particularly recently. My ambitions often wind up getting me shot down horribly when I exceed my social limits. It can be hard to recover my motivation for quite some time after that. The hardest thing for me to learn is that I'm just not suited for some jobs and situations. Even though I may have the technical aptitude and knowledge, I may not have the people skills necessary. It's hard for me to recognize and accept this, and my drive often gets me in trouble.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2009, 5:21 pm

You can drift in life and still get stuff done. Not sure you need ambitions, go with the situation and occasionally you'll end up somewhere interesting.