Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:47 pm

I recently made the switch from an older version of Photoshop to GIMP, partly because it's more capable, because I'm not a fan of Adobe products, and because it's open source. It does take some getting used to, but a lot of software is like that. The interface does leave some things to be desired (such as the way it handles windows)

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 4:53 pm

sorry for going completely off topic but WillMcC your avatar is really cool!
Looks like the London Underground :wink:

now back to topic

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:27 pm

Emor wrote:
I hate GIMP's UI... it sucks on Mac as well, and I decided I'd give it one more chance on Windows- crashes on start up.
The only times GIMP crashes on me is if I try to do some very complicated filter work that exceeds system memory... other than that, GIMP has never crashed on me...

Quote:
Seriously, if you're a Windows or Mac user and want a cheap Photoshop just get Photoshop Elements, it does everything Photoshop does, it just takes longer to do(like you have to generate effects independently). If you're on Mac I recommend Pixelmator over it though.

Quote:
For resizing on Windows all you need is Paint Dot Net,

Or, you know, windows paint, since it comes standard on all windows OS's since 3.1 (to my knowledge)...

Quote:
SO MUCH EASIER than GIMP. Seriously, GIMP is hell to navigate around.

It's easier to navigate around than photoshop... I can't even use photoshop anymore...

Quote:
For Mac OS X, I'm not sure, I don't use anything but comerical software, so sorry.

Why? Just because you paid money for it doesn't mean it's necessarily better... a lot of the money in developing commercial software these days is spent in developing copy protection schemes...

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 5:33 pm

Emor wrote:
For Mac OS X, I'm not sure, I don't use anything but comerical software, so sorry.

Not to be rude but that's some weird mindset. If you just can't rest without parting with your cash, most freeware accept donations.

GustavHolst
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 May 2009, 8:42 pm

Emor wrote:
I hate GIMP's UI... it sucks on Mac as well, and I decided I'd give it one more chance on Windows- crashes on start up.
Seriously, if you're a Windows or Mac user and want a cheap Photoshop just get Photoshop Elements, it does everything Photoshop does, it just takes longer to do(like you have to generate effects independently). If you're on Mac I recommend Pixelmator over it though.
For resizing on Windows all you need is Paint Dot Net, SO MUCH EASIER than GIMP. Seriously, GIMP is hell to navigate around.
EMZ=]

Hey debian emor, if your using gnome, you can just type in the terminal
Code:
aptitude install nautilus-image-converter
and then after it installs. You can just right click on the image and resize it easily from there

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2009, 5:23 pm

Emor wrote:
For Mac OS X, I'm not sure

Preview (included) can crop, resize, etc.