Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2006, 2:56 pm

Thank you sophist, very comprehensive, I particularly like the look of psychophysiology. Maybe something to look into when I get to university, as an 'aside' subject at the least!

AegNuddel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jan 2006, 1:49 am

creative

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2006, 10:27 am

worsedale wrote:
Thank you sophist, very comprehensive, I particularly like the look of psychophysiology. Maybe something to look into when I get to university, as an 'aside' subject at the least!

Depending on your university, they might have a class or two on Biopsychology in general. But if you did psychology, you'd have to go through all the classes you hate to get to grad school to do all the fun Biopsych stuff. You'd maybe also enjoy an Abnormal Psychology class.

That's what I'm doing now, majoring in psych and taking all the classes I'll need to get into grad school to do research. For me, I love psychology enough to trudge through the classes I'm not going to enjoy (I'll probably be a little bored in Personality Theory).

But if you find you're really attracted to that area after reading more about it, you might find it worth it to trudge through the boring classes so you can focus eventually on Biopsychology.

Though if you just want to take a Biopsych class, be forewarned: you'll probably have to take other prerequisite psych classes in order to get there. At my school, our classes go up to a 4000 level and Biopsychology was at the 4000 level (i.e., the highest level classes). Meaning I had to have General Psychology and other hours of psych in order to get into that class.

Then again, Anatomy and Physiology classes I'm sure go over the anatomy and functioning of the brain a bit at some point. And that's with the Biology department, so the prereqs you might enjoy more there (if you're into the harder sciences).

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2006, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Then again, Anatomy and Physiology classes I'm sure go over the anatomy and functioning of the brain a bit at some point. And that's with the Biology department, so the prereqs you might enjoy more there (if you're into the harder sciences).

That looks like the best option...the thing I'd be most interested in is the workings of thought processes, but I don't know what that falls under. Not sure if I'd be good enough for hard science. Maths is my only strong science, followed by physics, which for the time being is boring as hell. I have to do an experment to investigate the bounce height of a squash ball.... :roll: ...yay...

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2006, 11:26 am

worsedale wrote:
Quote:

That looks like the best option...the thing I'd be most interested in is the workings of thought processes, but I don't know what that falls under. Not sure if I'd be good enough for hard science. Maths is my only strong science, followed by physics, which for the time being is boring as hell. I have to do an experment to investigate the bounce height of a squash ball.... :roll: ...yay...

I'm not sure how in depth Anatomy and Physiology goes into thought processes. That's usually the realm of psychology. But if worse comes to worse, you can always read/study about it on your own. :)

Hmmm... squash ball...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2006, 2:06 pm

I find I am a mixture of the creative and the analytical, as are most people. Ultimately, I want to do something that's a little creative and aesthetic but also a little analytical and technical. That's why I plan to go into Web design and development. It's a little page design and a little programming too.

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2006, 6:48 pm

Definitely analytical.

Maths is my best subject, and I also do well in physics. I'm just not really creative enough. I have a good imagination, but I really just suck at things like art and writing stories and suchlike.

worsedale
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2006, 4:33 pm

An imagination is a worthy asset for physics, remember. Maybe not so in Maths.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 7:14 pm

worsedale wrote:
An imagination is a worthy asset for physics, remember. Maybe not so in Maths.

When you say imagination, I assume you mean the ability to visualize the problem domain in one's mind. Many people with Asperger's syndrome have just this kind of imagination, which is also useful in higher level mathematics and also geometry; but what they often lack is creativity: making novel assocations between distantly related concepts.

Many people who are very good at mathematics and physics seem to be cognitively quite different from me. They are good at their subject of interest but less insightful, intuitive, and able to make novel associations (except possibly in their specialty domain). I'm not saying I'm extremely creative, but this difference had a major impact during a group project in a computer science class last semester. I knew what problems were likely to happen before a single line of code was written, but my partners, who are very interested in mathematics as well as computer science, found out the hard way, especially since they did not really build on my overtures to communicate with them more.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 10:39 pm

Both. :)

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 5:47 am

I have the capacity to be extensively anayltical, but I don't like to profess judgements on creative works because i'm well aware that my own works are imperfect. Kind of like the saying, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." I don't feel I have the right to judge others, especially when i am so imperfect. In english class, i feel like my body is dripping with sin to point out the "flaws" of a paper. And i'm compelled to apologize at great length to no one(author is usually dead or not there) when i am forced to judge.
I believe I have an excellent analytical capability. There is pretty much no end to what can be said about anything. It is just a matter of isolating the signifigant from the irrelevant points.

But I also consider myself highly creative. Infact in some ways it seems to me that greater creativity can be achieved with help from skilled analysis, and an Analysis often hinges on creativity to give the analysis structure and point.

I try to think as far outside the box as I can, I try to think so far outside the box, that i've destroyed the box, and just think in a huge seemless landscape of infinite possibility. Im not gonna pretend I can imagine what i can't imagine. But i'm gonna take a shot at it anyway. ^_^

Infact it seems to me that the only information i recieve which does not get some form of creativity applied(questions, curiosities, suspicions of connections, the possibility of falsehood, or partially mistaken information, ect) to it is when i find out what day it is from people, or what time it is. And when it comes to expressing the ideas in my head, unfortunately I don't have enough time in my lifetime to put all of my ideas to paper, canvas, or action. But i'm gonna take a shot at it anyway. ^_^

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 7:32 pm

I'm not sure. I seem to switch from one to the other. I also do this emotionally. I'm either more emotional or I'll be totally flat. It's during the emotional times that I'm more creative and the flat times are when I'm more analytical. A friend of mine tells me that both sides of my brain are not working well together and I need to do "Brain Gym" exercises to integrate my thinking. (But I'm too lazy)
I am very intrigued by science and math but suck at it. How can this be? I feel that if I just had a good teacher I could probably learn these disciplines but most teachers I've had don't seem to be able to communicate to me the "whys" of theory and formulas. This is something that stumps me. I hope to improve in these areas this time around in college.
I'd like to take a class in logic and rhetoric. That would be cool.

cloverleaf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2006, 12:20 pm

In a way both, I suck at math but love certain sciences I can't excatly write a short story or a novel but I love to read and write poetry.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2006, 2:00 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
In a way both, I suck at math but love certain sciences I can't excatly write a short story or a novel but I love to read and write poetry.

Yeah, I can do the shorter forms like poetry (the non-epic sort) but my brain doesn't seem to function as well with stories or novels. I have more difficulty holding all that information in my head at once to make sure the story is flowing well and "gelling".

cloverleaf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2006, 10:34 pm

I've been writing poems for years i find them easy but I can't for the life of me write a good story.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2006, 7:17 pm

Well, I'm pretty much totally analytical. Just looking at my school subjects alone:

I ALWAYS got good or excellent grades in: Maths, English, Geography, Chemistry, Physics, French, German, Biology, History, etc. etc.

I ALWAYS got poor grades in: Art, Technical (i.e. woodwork, metalwork, technical drawing), Music, Physical Education, Home Economics, and any other practical subjects.

I guess I couldn't be more analytical if I tried. The sets of subjects speak for themselves, I think.