Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Niamh
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2010, 2:00 pm

I turned to "an 11 o'clock angle" as my mother puts it and had to be delivered by C-section. I don't know whether it has anything to do with autism but it is a huge shock to the baby's system. First there's the mother's stress at having found out there's something wrong, then there's the drugs pumped into her which in turn get into the baby's system, then there's the operation itself during which the baby is taken from the warmth and comfort of the womb instantly to the cold open air without the gradual transition that a normal birth provides. As well as all that, the skull, which is made up of a number of bones, is supposed to be molded together by the birth canal while the baby is being pushed out, but in the case of a C-section, the skull doesn't get that kind of molding. I'm not sure what the standard intervention is for that or whether that has anything to do with autism either, but it's a part of C-section birth anyways. Apart from the C-section birth, I was a healthy baby. I developed recurring outer ear infections a few years ago which is supposedly common with people who have autism, but luckily it's never spread to my middle or inner ear and I hope it never does!

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2010, 11:28 pm

My mom was in labor with me for 30 hours before the doctors realized I had turned sideways and then they performed a c-section. I was sick in the week following my birth.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2010, 12:08 am

i guess my autistic daughter had a difficult birth. firstly she was three weeks premature which is not too bad but a couple days before i had her i did an ultrasound they said she was only at the developmental age of 6 months. her father was abusive and he decided to pick me up and throw me on the couch where i was to sit, quietly and obediently. he was also autistic though. when he did that he tore my placenta, which is what led me to go for the ultrasound. i was put on bed rest and sent home. i fled and went to my parents house. when i went into labour she was upside down but the doctor was able to flip her right way down by manipulating my stomach because my water had already broken. she was delivered aux naturel and drug free but had the cord wrapped around her neck. the doctor thought she was dead and passed out(she was young and never delivered a baby on her own before. i found out later she had just learned that day she was expecting her first child). the nurse held her up so i could see her and promptly left the room with her. that was at 6:22.... did not see her again until after midnight as they were 'working on her'. i was only 17 and they avoided answering any questions about what happened to her, why they took her, what they were doing, was something wrong.. she had no sucking reflex and almost starved when we were sent home when she was two days old. she ended up back in the hospital where we stayed for 4 weeks until she was able to eat on her own. she was well over a month old when she started to cry for the first time. before that she only communicated with grunts and growls. she had a red mark on her head forever from burst blood vessels which was a good indicator of her mood when she got older because it turned bright red when she'd get upset.

as for my 5yo i have no idea as i'm not his birth mother. i do know that he has two older brothers who are supposably having behaviour issues and a younger sister who had seizure disorder, physical deformities and died as a toddler because his birth mother was using drugs while she was pregnant. i suspect she was probably using drugs with him as well which may be why he has such severe problems and he had an eeg and an mri which revealed mild deformities and holes in different areas of his brain.