Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2009, 11:26 pm

I heard 1 in 3 cases of AS involved a difficult birth. I suffered a really bad one, and it could account for some things. Any knowledge on that?

ignisfatuus
Toucan
Toucan

13 May 2009, 4:54 am

I haven't read that, but I did read that certain personality traits in the mother (nervous, volatile, etc. I think there were seven) creates a testosterone imbalance in the fetus.

redplanet
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2009, 5:02 am

My son is severely autistic and I had a terrible time giving birth to him - I nearly died of a PPH.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:20 am

i was stuck, had to be pulled out by the head

i bet they squished my brain into aspergers :o

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2009, 5:40 am

I was born over 10 weeks premature and was delivered by C-section, I then spent 7 weeks in the special care unit after by birth, receiving oxygen and blood.
Not sure if that counts as difficult.

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2009, 5:48 am

i read of a study in australia which found that about about 44% of people with a.s. in a study group had suffered birth trauma, but i have never been able to find detail of the study since then! while there is no established causal link, it is too common to ignore. birth trauma means induced birth, or dificult delivery. caesarian births generally result in a more passive, calm adult, normal delivery in a well balanced person, induced in angry adults (i was really fascinated by this at one time).

i was born by inducement, against my mother's wishes. she had a terrible labour, and said she always thought this contributed to my 'anger problems'.
there is certainly evidence that birth trauma is linked to anger, and everyone i know who is angry was induced birth, and vice versa. having said that, i am fairly sure several relatives on both side have a.s.

on horizon last night, an examination about violence, a doctor explained that frontal head collisions, most commonly caused in car crashes smacking into the windscreen, resulted in 3/4 of people being more violent (which would be similar to anger). i didnt see the rest of the programme, but wonder if there was any mention of birth trauma being linked? though obviously a.s from birth-head trauma is harder to measure, as there was no 'before' person to measure against.

there is a lot if you google aspergers and birth trauma, though all suggestive, rather than proven. (there's a lot about the loch ness monster too)........

Causes and symptoms
Causes
There is some indication that AS runs in families, particularly in families with histories of depression and bipolar disorder. Asperger noted that his initial group of patients had fathers with AS symptoms. Knowledge of the genetic profile of the disorder, however, is quite limited as of 2002.

In addition, about 50% of AS patients have a history of oxygen deprivation during the birth process, which has led to the hypothesis that the disorder is caused by damage to brain tissue before or during childbirth. Another cause that has been suggested is an organic defect in the functioning of the brain.

************************************************************MOST INTERESTNG- DIFFERENT LOOKING BRAINS!! !!-

As of 2002, only a few structural abnormalities of the brain have been linked to AS. Findings include abnormally large folds in the brain tissue in the left frontal region, abnormally small folds in the operculum (a lid-like structure composed of portions of three adjoining brain lobes), and damage to the left temporal lobe (a part of the brain containing a sensory area associated with hearing). The first single photon emission tomography (SPECT) study of an AS patient found a lower-than-normal supply of blood to the left parietal area of the brain, an area associated with bodily sensations. Brain imaging studies on a larger sample of AS patients is the next stage of research.

how random is that?

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 6:03 am

Perahps the cause > effect is the opposite: autistics usually have larger heads, and, because that, they hsve more difficulty at birth?

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 May 2009, 6:12 am

hillarious!! yes!!

though inductions are nothing to do with size- thats just drs wanting to deliver a baby when they want to, so they can keep their golf appointment. forceps delivery is for stuck babies.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 1:01 pm

redplanet wrote:
My son is severely autistic and I had a terrible time giving birth to him - I nearly died of a PPH.

But your profile says you are male?! :?

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

13 May 2009, 1:06 pm

i was in fetal distress for 10 mintues due to the umbilical cord choking me, delived by c-section. :lol:
all my problems make sence now, all the obsessions, wierd childhood behaviour. jesus :twisted:
but oh well. im shure i have some frontal lobe damage because my head is shaped wierd
i bet if i had a mri of my brain it would look like swiss cheese

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 May 2009, 5:24 pm

AnnePande wrote:
redplanet wrote:

But your profile says you are male?! :?

Well, you would certainly have a terrible time giving birth to a baby if you were a male. :lol:

ghfreak13579
Raven
Raven

13 May 2009, 5:38 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I heard 1 in 3 cases of AS involved a difficult birth. I suffered a really bad one, and it could account for some things. Any knowledge on that?

Yes, my mom's water broke at 28 weeks and she was bedridden for 7 weeks until I was born 6 weeks premature (34 weeks).

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:54 pm

My mom had to be induced when she had me because I was 11 days late.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Rigdust
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 May 2009, 5:58 pm

I nearly suffocated and died

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2009, 5:58 pm

I turned sideways and was delivered by c-section, therefore I suppose my birth was a tad more difficult than expected.

ardea_rising
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 May 2009, 6:06 pm

Maybe in some cases a difficult birth does lead to early developmental problems that manifests it's self as symptoms found on the spectrum. I do not know the exact details of my own birth but I have been told it was problematic and i was delivered much later than the expected date. My sister, who is an aspie like myself was delivered with no problems what so ever. I believe that there are multiple causes of ASD's, some of these may be because of things that happen after the birth but i believe that in most cases the developmental oddities begin at the embryonic stage.