Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2009, 9:56 am

AmberEyes wrote:
Does being depressed because you were negatively labeled in the past count?

yes it does big time. Especially if you were diagnosed with something that caused any inappropriate treatments and/or negative things in your life. Even though I was diagnosed with Asperger's in 1999(and never was diagnosed with Autism, just atypical features), my mom always told people and I that I had autism(the regular autism, not Asperger's). As a result, when i tried college, I wanted medical, but because mom said something, I got stuck with Art(I hated art, since I rather have medical) because they though I was too ret*d. i got stuck with disability services that I never needed, which escalated into harsh and strict treatment from people in the group home I live in. This is why I am depressed.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2009, 10:32 am

Yes, I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression because of my autism. Actually its so severe that I have schizoaffective disorder. That was diagnosed by many doctors. They went to Evil Medical School. There is no way on Earth that I am psychotic (even though it might look like that for outsiders!) because I have no delusions (even though it actually looks like 6-7 types....a world record!) or hallucinations. As you can tell, no disorganized speech (even though this was a problem months ago). I have negative like symptoms that are similar to depression, but which can be explained by the depression! My anxiety disorder is Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Had that since birth! And yes, I agree with the GAD since it is a neurotic condition!

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2009, 8:03 am

vulcanpastor wrote:
I recently took the MMPI which is a psychological profile. The profile showed something that didn't suprise me: that when it comes to anxiety and depression, I tend to be almost off the charts. The psychologist was shocked by this. I kept looking at him as if he just didn't get it. I knew that one of things aspies tend to deal with is A LOT of anxiety. I have been taking meds to help with the depression and they have helped.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with a medical professional that doesn't seem to understand some of the conditions of Aspergers.

Everyone I have dealt has no squat about Asperger's. Even the Autism agency that I am in does not understand it. They think that I need supervision and to be treated like I am mentally ret*d and yet think because I am so high functioning that I can understand and/or am more able to put up with the other client's issues. In reality it is the opposite. I am 100% independent and have more intelligence than they do(I have a high intelligence level) and do not need any supervision and/or assistance. Also, I am not able to even be around and/or handle their clients, put up with their antics and/or have any understanding, empathy and/or sympathy for those clients. They think they can medicate Asperger's and cure it with negative behavior consequence(yelling, firm talk, threats of being put into a nursing home and/or institution), even though I have no "concerning" behavior. That is why my life is messed up where I have have no trust in anyone.