Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

black_legion
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 May 2009, 6:57 am

anyone nice enough to tell me some decent tactics on making gold? i'm still on selling owls in darnassus and trying to get another orb of deception drop

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 9:37 am

If you get a green or blue item you can't use, and that isn't soulbound, take it to the auction house. Check the AH to see if another one is currently being sold; if so, offer yours for slightly less. (If someone wants 1 gold 50 silver as a buyout, offer yours at 1 gold 30 silver, for instance.) Be sure to offer a buyout option; some of us just don't have the patience to wait for an auction process to complete in order to find out whether or not we got to buy something.

The AH can also be your friend if you have a gathering skill. If you have mining, for instance, and get ores you don't need (say, your Blacksmithing skill is up to working mithril, and you've got a few stacks of copper ore left over, or have mined some recently), auction that off as well. It can be used by lower-level blacksmiths, and jewelcrafters (they can assay a stack of five ores to extract gemstones for their jewelry). Similarly, herbs gathered through Herbalism can be used by Inscriptors and Alchemists.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 May 2009, 11:31 am

black_legion wrote:
anyone nice enough to tell me some decent tactics on making gold? i'm still on selling owls in darnassus and trying to get another orb of deception drop

Run dailies. Most of them award ~11g each. You can make up to 275 gold a day if you do 25 dailies. My daily run order is Sons of Hodir, Brunnhildar Village (random four), Argent Tournament, and the three Wyrmrest Accord daily quests (Defending the temple in Dragonblight, and Drake Hunt and Aces High! in Coldarra). If I have the time I'll also sneak in the daily quest at K3.

If you have skinning, herbalism, or mining you can gather supplies while do these quests and sell whatever you harvest in the Auction House.

On average after a complete run, plus gather supplies I generally make about 400 gold per day. At the end of the week I have about 2000 gold.

The former things have passed away."

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 12:32 pm

And if you get sick of doing the same dailys, you can go and do lower level normal quests, that will have a higher gold reward to make up for no longer giving XP at 80, not to mention a lot give rewards you can vendor for more gold. If you go to a level 75 and up area, you'll be getting more than for dailys, and some give faction rep too.

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2009, 12:40 pm

I've got mining and herbalism on an alt with epic flying (a hunter with Pathfinding... but a paladin running Crusader Aura would prolly be far better), but of course that will take some time and money get to that point (but it's so worth it when you do - I can make 1.5-2k gold on a good night of farming Storm Peaks and Icecrown... granted, that's a dedicated 4 hours or so - helps if you have some good music to push you along ;)).

Dailies, of course, are a surefire way to make money. If you cook and/or fish, the profession dailies in Dalaran are totally worth doing. They don't take long at all. The spices from the cooking daily sell decently on the AH (assuming you don't use them yourself), and the fishing daily can net you some items that sell well (one piece of grey loot sells for 100g, and Stormjewels can fetch several hundred gold on the AH).

Even without the dailies, cooking and fishing can be decent moneymakers. At level 80, Fish Feasts and other buff foods (many of them fishable) are in high demand.

I've got guildies that seem to make a total killing off of Jewelcrafting and Inscription... Alchemy is a good, steady income as well (and the bonuses of being an alchemist are very nice, too, if you raid). Selling enchanting mats can sometimes be a decent moneymaker if you have luck with the disenchant bait drops (but only if you already have it - I wouldn't recommend taking it up if you don't).

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 1:00 pm

I agree with Lyriel. At least mining can be very profitable as well as all other "collect stuff for others" professions.

When you get higher up, you can also take out smaller bosses that drop bags with items that you can disenchant. Being a rogue with pickpocketing skill also helps :)

Feridan
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2009, 5:47 pm

The Argent Tournament quests coupled with a few other dailies in Icecrown are a very time-efficient way of making gold.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 11:48 am

Jewelcrafting is one of the most profitable crafts in my opinion.

You can also probably make about 100g or so an hour by fishing. Fish feasts sell well (mats are fished up in Wintergrasp) and dragonfin angelfish in the walrus-people ghost town in Dragonblight sell really well too, either as uncooked fish or cooking into the str or agi food. Gold is one area I've never had a problem, the only things I can't afford are all the new pets going for like 2000g each.