Molecular Biology of The Cell
The White Mountains
The Giver
The Book of the Law

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2004, 5:21 pm

All of the above posts plus Terry Pratchett's discworld novels...

Genius...

Orwell said things about 20th Century politics that needed to be said... and that's still fundamentally true today...

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2004, 9:37 pm

Ive got so many bloody books that i call my favorites that i have no intention of wasting half a night to list them all. My current favorite is The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix. I heard they were given a good rap by George Lucas (no use describing what he's famous for; half the world knows that.) Unfortunately, my school library has only four of the assumed seven books.(At least i assume there are seven.) I have read the first three: The Fall, Castle, andAenir, and i am hoping to find and return Castle to the library, i can start on the fourth, Above the Veil. i have to go, so see you later.

Archmage

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Last edited by Archmage on 05 Nov 2004, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wowbagger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2004, 12:29 am

Another Terry Pratchett fan here --- favourites are Good Omens and the Watch books.

Other favourites:
Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
nearly all Kurt Vonnegut books
P. G. Wodehouse's Blandings novels

Glenn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2004, 3:38 am

Favourite books? But there are so many to choose from!
My favourite classic is probably Thomas Hardy's "The Mayor of Casterbridge".
Modern favouites include Stephen King's "The Stand" (along with most of his other writing).... Science fiction by Larry Niven and others....historical novels by Gary Jennings.....perhaps my favourites vary according to the mood I'm in when I'm asked!

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2004, 4:36 am

The Stand - yay! - one of my favourites definitely. Clive Barker is brilliant too - Weaveworld and Imajica are probably his best.

I too like Orwell - he had a lot of interesting opinions especially for a man of his time and background. Nineteen Eighty-Four still scares me, because you see it all over the world in different guises...

Haruki Murakami is an amazing writer, IMO his best books are 'The Hard Boiled Wonderland and The End of the World' and 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle' - the latter especially is a trippy ride but well worth it. Neal Stephenson is good too what I have read.

Tolkien of course is the fantasy master, but does anyone have an opinion on Michael Moorcock?

I started reading his 'Eternal Champion' series around 15 years ago, and remain a fan - Elric of Melnibone in particular is a classic anti-hero.

Others (too many to mention...) various poets, Hermann Hesse, Steinbeck, the Harry Potter books, William Horwood, travel and map books (I like Paul Theroux, the miserable git), Buffy/Angel books for light reading..... I could prattle on all day as I love books, but probably shouldn't. :P

dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2004, 7:50 am

My current favorite books are:

"Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman

"American Gods" by Neil Gaimain

"Death: the High Cost of Living" graphic novel by Neil Gaiman

"Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse

"The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

"Lizard" by Banana Yoshimoto

Quote:
All by George Orwell

Do you mean all of his books, or did he write a book titled "All"? I really enjoyed 1984, but I haven't read any of his others.

Quote:
Farenheit 451 by Bradbury

Also a very good one, I read that awhile ago, and liked it a lot.

Quote:
Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

You have good taste, Tom. This is a wonderful series. A friend of mine is utterly obsessed with it. She reads the trilogy at least once a year, but it has to be after a certain amount of time, so she doesn't "wear them out." She also wants to go to the Oxford gardens just because of the scene that takes place there in the last book.

Quote:
Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)

42 :D .

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2004, 3:54 pm

duncvis wrote:
Tolkien of course is the fantasy master, but does anyone have an opinion on Michael Moorcock?
dunc

Tolkien RULES! We wants all his books, precioussss... :D

And has anyone even heard of The Seventh Tower series?!

Archmage

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2004, 10:23 pm

I would have to say my favorites authors lean towards Anne McCaffrey, Anne Rice, J.R. Tolkien, Stephen King and Robert Jordan. I definitely love the Dragonriders of Pern Series and the Crystal Singer Series of Anne McCaffrey, play online RPGs (Mushes/Moos and PBEMs) of both series and have since 1998. Also love the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice's (also have a strong liking towards the "World of Darkness" (vampires/werewolves, etc) RPGs. The "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan is definitely another of the types of sci-fi/fantasy I prefer) also enjoy reading stuff related to medical science, computers and political science.

Epimonandas
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2004, 11:45 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
I would have to say my favorites authors lean towards Anne McCaffrey, Anne Rice, J.R. Tolkien, Stephen King and Robert Jordan. I definitely love the Dragonriders of Pern Series and the Crystal Singer Series of Anne McCaffrey, play online RPGs (Mushes/Moos and PBEMs) of both series and have since 1998. Also love the Vampire Chronicles of Anne Rice's (also have a strong liking towards the "World of Darkness" (vampires/werewolves, etc) RPGs. The "Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan is definitely another of the types of sci-fi/fantasy I prefer) also enjoy reading stuff related to medical science, computers and political science.

So you like Sci-Fi? I heard that is another typical trait associated with AS. I like sci-fi, horror, adventure, and historical. Do you know the works of Luo Guanzhong (more fantasy, reality than sci-fi, but in line with Tolkein), Roger Zelazny, H.P. Lovecraft, Clive Barker, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Howard Pyle, Earle Stanley Gardner (mystery, but still very good writing, re: early CSI type stories and successor to Doyle), H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe, Isaac Asimov, or Robert Harris (excellent blend of fact and fiction in a hypothetical historical context). The book I read before last which was last November. My sense of time is real bad I almost said this November.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2005, 10:05 am

Richard Laymon is a badass horror writer

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Feb 2005, 1:06 pm

World Book Encyclopedia
Websters Dictionary
The Yellow Pages

do these count as books?

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2005, 6:05 pm

I'm sure most of you have a very difficult time trying to figure out what my favourite book is! :wink:

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2005, 6:54 pm

Bec wrote:
I'm sure most of you have a very difficult time trying to figure out what my favourite book is! :wink:

Nietzsche- The Dawn??????? Just joking :lol:

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2005, 8:12 am

Epimonandas wrote:
So you like Sci-Fi? I heard that is another typical trait associated with AS. I like sci-fi, horror, adventure, and historical. Do you know the works of Luo Guanzhong (more fantasy, reality than sci-fi, but in line with Tolkein), Roger Zelazny, H.P. Lovecraft, Clive Barker, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Howard Pyle, Earle Stanley Gardner (mystery, but still very good writing, re: early CSI type stories and successor to Doyle), H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe, Isaac Asimov, or Robert Harris (excellent blend of fact and fiction in a hypothetical historical context). The book I read before last which was last November. My sense of time is real bad I almost said this November.

Yeah in general for the most part, I have read Asimov, Wells, Verne and Poe but very limited, I tend towards fantasy and all a fair but SciFi is my main area as far as books other than non-fiction about animals, science (especially medical science) and occasional thing on politics.