Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:02 am

Very interesting stuff indeed. I always had the feeling that given the components, billions of years with the moon much closer to the earth, tides smashing into each other with great kinetic energy, that it would have been something that would have been built in the ocean - guess I was wrong on that one.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:13 am

And since life forms by itself in the right conditions, it implies that life will also likely form on other planets that have an environment similar to Earth, with water based oceans etc. Exciting stuff indeed.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 2:07 am

We all come from stars.

I believe in evolution but the scientists did play a role in creating this life so you can't really say that it sprang from empty space.

-Pythagoras

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 3:40 am

Magnus wrote:
We all come from stars.

I believe in evolution but the scientists did play a role in creating this life so you can't really say that it sprang from empty space.

Sure, but now they will know where and how to look. I expect they will find life starting all over the place now.

TheKingsRaven
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2009, 6:16 am

And in Darwin year no less! I hope that David Attenborough dose a special on this one :)

Magnus wrote:
We all come from stars.

no one ever said life came from empty space, it came from prehistoric earth.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 10:18 am

TheKingsRaven wrote:

no one ever said life came from empty space, it came from prehistoric earth.

Life on this planet could have been seeded by material that came in from off the earth. We just don't know.

ruveyn

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:14 pm

I'm not disagreeing that life on earth began on the earth. But, if you search further back you have to ask how the earth was formed. The earth wasn't always here.

-Pythagoras

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:26 pm

Henriksson wrote:
I headed over to a creationist forum, and found this:

Quote:
I don't have a problem with this. If this is true, still I believe G-d is the one who started the process, it didn't just happen out of nowhere.

*sigh*

*goes and makes himself a cup of chocolate*

:lol:

ok then. they think god did it again... he created another miracle... :roll: but explain me this then, dear creationists out there:

how many times did a mere mortal succeed in having god to perform a miracle right before him... :?:

let me see... i remember a guy with the name of moses... and a guy called jesus... and øh... øh... øh... some girl in lourdes in france did something like that too...

so...

Saint John Sutherland of the Holy University of Manchester must be a devine power... all hail to him now!! ! the messias must be back in town!

let the christians and all creationists praise and worship him in all eternity!! ! write another testimonial for the generations to come!!

hallelujah!! :? :roll:

sorry i couldn't resist. :wink:

Last edited by aspi-rant on 15 May 2009, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:35 pm

Magnus wrote:
I'm not disagreeing that life on earth began on the earth. But, if you search further back you have to ask how the earth was formed. The earth wasn't always here.

It did not come by someone waving a magic wand. The theory of planetary formation has been substantiated by the discovery of many extra-solar planets.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:49 pm

Magnus wrote:

The nebula hypothesis best fits the known facts.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebular_hypothesis

ruveyn

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 1:12 pm

Good stuff, Tallyman.