Anybody decide to get tested as an adult after their child ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

galaxyblue
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2009, 10:29 pm

javabuz wrote:
Any good reading suggestions??

I just started reading: The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood

Kelly

Trystania
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2009, 3:51 pm

Three years ago I had never even heard of asperger's syndrome. My eldest son (5) was diagnosed and it was only then that I started reading more about it and started to question myself. My suspicions proved to be correct and I was diagnosed shortly after him.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2009, 8:43 pm

Yeah, my dx came after my son's.

SAHM906
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2009, 11:04 am

I have begun to wonder if I am on the spectrum. My son was reciently diagnossed with ASD but it came only after I was searching the internet and found autism and realized it fit him. and through all of the research things about myself and my childhood began to make sense.

I just finished reading 'Pretending to be Normal' by Liane Holliday Willey and I underlined half the book. It is about a mom who didn't realize her AS until her youngest daughter was diagnossed with AS.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 8:34 am

I was dxd after my son was dxd.

Jeana
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jul 2009, 10:42 am

I don't know the exact title of the book but there is a book by Jerry Newport and his wife who both have AS. I haven't read it but it is highly recommended by AS experts.

Good luck! :)

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 11:28 am

I would actually like my mom to get tested.... she does have a learning disabilty, but we just don't know what it is called... she is perfectally functionl, she doesn't grasp a lot of things, she failed many grades as a kid and quit school when she was in grade 8.

I really do think she is a aspie, yet she still has the nerve to tell me how to behave when it comes to family matters.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 11:44 am

On the contrary. My daughter's friend was first diagnosed. Then I was curious and found out more info, and pretty much saw myself. Now I am in the process of getting the diagnosis. After that, my four children, which to me seem to have many of the traits, will be diagnosed.

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

10 Jul 2009, 8:17 pm

OK, this is just weird. I have 2 adopted kids. Our adopted son (13) was diagnosed aspie 2 years ago, and I thought, OK. No problem. Then his behavior at school this year starts to get worse, I start to read more about it, I stumble across the online Aspie test that everyone recommends, and I see myself in nearly every question. I'm clearly an aspie too. Maybe more than my son. In fact, since I stopped working to stay home more with my kids, the aspie qualities of talking to myself, loving my routines, avoiding people, having trouble with sensory overload, avoiding eye contact, etc. are more pronounced. I guess I feel relieved. But now I know why my dad has always hated me.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2009, 6:43 pm

I've been thinking about it for a good few months now, but I reckon I will contact my GP on Monday for an appointment to speak about a referal for an autism assessment. Feel a bit nervous about it, and I had hoped that I would be able to self-refer, but I've spoken to the Autism Resource Centre where the adult assessments are carried out, and I need my GP to write a letter.

My parents used to keep saying that my son couldn't be autistic as I was just the same at his age. They gradually became more accepting of the idea, and the other week they said that they thought I might be AS as well. I see many traits in my mother and her side of the family, but not in my father's side of the family at all.

Simone-Blanchard
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2009, 9:59 am

Post-diagnosis I went down a rabbit hole of sorts ... looking for answers. I saw AS characteristics everywhere.

I keep wishing I could re-wind family members to see them as children, just to have a better sense of the evolution of traits.

Honestly, when I step back, I see more anxiety issues. I was a very shy/over-sensitive child, so was my husband.

We are both capable of being incredibly social adults -- our jobs demand it -- but it takes us more energy.