Trying to transfer, but there's a few barriers...

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 12:18 am

I don't know if anyone remembers the post I made a long time ago saying I was going to try and transfer to another university. I was accepted, and after some thinking, I decided that I want to go. Money is still a huge issue, though.

I barely get any FAFSA money. I don't even get $3,500 for the whole year, and the new school is going to cost about $22K/year. My parents make too much money for me to get anymore loans from the government. My dad is an alcoholic/gambling addict who cares more about his addictions than his own kids, so he won't give me a dime. I also have no idea how much the school itself will give me in financial aid. Does anyone know if the FAFSA gives more for out of state?

Then for scholarships, there are barely any available for people who are already in college I think. Or is there a good one I should apply for?

Then for bank loans, I have no credit whatsoever. I also doubt that either of my parents would co-sign on one for me. If on the off chance that they did, would it be easy to get loans that I don't have to pay until after I graduate?

Then for my last question: do you think I have any hope?

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 8:31 am

Obviously, what you call "a few barriers" involves an enormous one...MONEY!

Since this new, transfer university has not offered you any financial aid and scholarships are not forthcoming either, prehaps you
should remain at your current school and make the best of it. Or lower your sights and find another school that is in your financial reach. It appears that this university does not offer much assistance to its students nor does it appear to have much
diversity in its student population as most students seem to come from high income families in order to enroll.

Is this university so great that you want to burden yourself with such an enormous debt just to go there...a debt so HUGE that you will spend most of your life paying off?

AspieCard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2009, 7:09 pm

If you're diagnosed you should check to see if your state gives tuition assistance. My state (Kentucky) will pay 50% of your tuition if you're diag'd and go through vocational training's career counselors. Unfortunately I found that out $40,000 loan debt dollars too late, but it will help from now on :)

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2009, 2:43 am

AspieCard wrote:
If you're diagnosed you should check to see if your state gives tuition assistance. My state (Kentucky) will pay 50% of your tuition if you're diag'd and go through vocational training's career counselors. Unfortunately I found that out $40,000 loan debt dollars too late, but it will help from now on :)

I'm transferring out of state, though. Would that still work anyway?