Why do we call a meltdown a meltdown ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Should the term "meltdown" be withdrawn from service and replaced with something else ?
Yes 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 20 ]
Do not know 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 36

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:15 pm

Where I come from I've heard a lot of people use ''meltdown'' as a term for ''a crying/tearful/emotional episode''.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 1:51 pm

-Vorzac- wrote:
Personally, I felt the term originated from radioactive meltdowns at nuclear power stations.

Having lived 22 years before there were radioactive meltdowns at nuclear power stations I believe the usual term was 'tantrum' (a violent demonstration of rage or frustration; a sudden burst of ill temper) or 'fit' a : a sudden violent attack of a disease (as epilepsy) especially when marked by convulsions or unconsciousness : paroxysm
b : a sudden but transient attack of a physical disturbance) or even 'convulsions' ( a synonym for seizure, but not all seizures are characterized by convulsions. A person having convulsions appears to be shaking rapidly and without control.)

In 1972 people were starting to say "Freak Out" but that was a colorful reference to the psychadelia of the day, and those not wanting to express themselves to identify with that adopted the less culture choice weighted "melt down."

Or at least that is how I remembered it.

Merle