Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mistunderstood
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2009, 5:07 pm

I see a lot of you have great memory but what about the ones with poor memory? Like I have great short term memory like I can remind all my friends stuff to do plus my-self what we all have to do but when it comes to long term memory I have large holes in it. Like black-out holes. Years at a time holes. For example I am first grand kid in my family. I have had my grandpa in my life for 36 years but when he died 2 years ago everything they said about him I could not remember. Is this normal for someone with AS to have?
Just wondering. :oops:

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 5:55 pm

Very good long term, poor short term, I think this is quite common here.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 6:25 pm

I have an extreme good long and short time memory. I still remember the contents of school lessons 30 years ago and can recall what I learned even I did not work in this area since, but my short time memory is also quite good.

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2009, 6:45 pm

Have poor short term memory and poor long term memory.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2009, 8:23 pm

Rainbow-Squirrel wrote:
Very good long term, poor short term, I think this is quite common here.

I agree. Once I lock in an item into long term memory I don't forget it. As a result I have a mind full of sh*t. I am a walking encyclopedia of Trivia and Minutea.

ruveyn

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 2:28 am

Great--nearly photographic--long term; horrendous short term.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 May 2009, 9:29 am

Brilliant long term memory. Very poor short term/working memory (always assumed a bad working memory was an ADHD thing.)

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:45 am

__biro wrote:
Brilliant long term memory. Very poor short term/working memory

this is how i'd describe myself.. damn short term memory :(

Zoonic
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 9:51 am

When I did a supervised IQ test I could memorize 8 figures and repeat them backwards. I also scored good in the other areas. My overall results showed a perfectly balanced IQ with very good short term memory and the psychologist was a bit amazed and said this was unusual for aspies to be so balanced AND above average at the same time. She said those with above average IQ usually had huge overcompensation in certain areas.

This test included repeating sequences of numbers backwards. My trick to doing this is like dancing in my mind. I remember the rythm of the sequence and split it up into parts, or beats. This is how I memorize things short term.
However, in school I always had huge problems with short term memory and could read a text fully without being able to answer a single test question regarding it afterwards. This made me extremely frustrated in my studies because that's not the way I study. All I know is self taught.
The only real handicap I have as a result of skipping all my school years is that I don't understand moderately advanced mathematical concepts on high school level. Most people who graduated didn't understand it either, anyway. They just mechanically memorized things without understanding them so I don't really view even my lack of knowledge as a real handicap because I seem to have intuitive understanding for things like maths and the laws of physics.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 10:29 am

Sorry, what was the question? I forgot :) I've got a terrible memory both short term and long term and have to write everything down, lists of what I've got to do, where I've got to be, appointments etc I don't think age has made it any worse, it's always been like that.

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 10:43 am

I would say good long term.... average short term

Shivan
Raven
Raven

17 May 2009, 10:45 am

mistunderstood wrote:
I see a lot of you have great memory but what about the ones with poor memory? Like I have great short term memory like I can remind all my friends stuff to do plus my-self what we all have to do but when it comes to long term memory I have large holes in it. Like black-out holes. Years at a time holes. For example I am first grand kid in my family. I have had my grandpa in my life for 36 years but when he died 2 years ago everything they said about him I could not remember. Is this normal for someone with AS to have?
Just wondering. :oops:

This describes me perfectly. Just about everything after about 1 to 3 months becomes blackout and I can't remember any events before then. What I think is kind of weird though, is that I can remember what co-workers have said, movie lines, songs, etc. years later with no problem,

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 3:19 pm

My short term memory ain't the greatest, and I think my long term memory is average.

Wait.... where am I? Who are you? What's Asperger's? Who the heck is "SpongeBob SquarePants"?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

Zincubus
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 3:50 pm

Vimse wrote:
Have poor short term memory and poor long term memory.

Bad long and short term memory sadly !

Very bad auditary memory but slightly better visual memory .

Many years ago the whole family did a special test from a CD - My wife and daughter at a memory rating of about 925 , myson was rated abput 96% BUT in last place was ME at about 14% ! !! !

I can't remember very much at all of my 51 years on this planet - I only remember bits of special moments ....children's births , my dad's death ..... death of our two dogs ... etc etc

The only GOOD thing is that I have never known any different so I don't really miss what I never had :)

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 5:04 pm

I have a very bad short term memory, average long term memory. My visual memory however is, and I quote: "remarkably high".

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2009, 5:18 pm

Sorry, wish I could say my problem was in the same but like most here, great long-term, crappy short-term.